2005 sr5 hilux (current shape)

Trucked up

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and this is actually my first post :D breaking my virginity !

I've got a 2wd hilux 2005 sr5 current shape and at the moment it rides high in the rear end..

So my question is

- Can I buy some sr5 4WD front shocks and struts and simply swap them with my 2wd ones (unbolt and bolt) ?

- And how much higher is the 4WD suspension from

The 2WD in the front only ?

Any help will be great :) thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and this is actually my first post :D breaking my virginity !

I've got a 2wd hilux 2005 sr5 current shape and at the moment it rides high in the rear end..

So my question is

- Can I buy some sr5 4WD front shocks and struts and simply swap them with my 2wd ones (unbolt and bolt) ?

- And how much higher is the 4WD suspension from

The 2WD in the front only ?

Any help will be great :) thanks

Hey mate, good to see another hilux owner on tocau!

Right so, firstly your 2WD hilux current shape (GGN15R) should hold the same front suspension geometry as its 4x4 brother. They are all independent front suspension and yes, hilux's do have a tendency to sag in the front with age - particularly if you start adding accessories such as a bullbar.

As far as your shocks are concerned, you can simply go to somewhere like Repco and order the shocks through them, they will be able to supply you with the right shock for your hilux. If your front end is sagging, then replacing the springs with the shocks is also advisable. If you get shocks and springs from repco, or a suspension shop like Pedders, then that will return the hilux to its factory height. If you have a bullbar on, then maybe you could specify slightly stiffer shocks to counter act the extra weight of the bullbar. You can buy 4x4 shocks and springs, but keep in mind that these are different (stronger and stiffer) because of their applications (ie - offroading) so it stands to reason that youll be paying more for those suspension components. Being a 2WD, the most offroad work you would do id assume are things like dirt roads etc? For these applications, the factory type components are sufficient.

With heights, you can get a suspension lift - 2, 3, 4 and 5 inch lift kits exist for the current shaped hilux's - but if you dont plan on lifting the rear of the hilux then there is no point in getting front suspension components that will lift your hilux higher than factory height, otherwise youll be looking at blue skies when your driving - not to mention how weird it would look. Also if your lifting, then youl need a diff drop kit to roll your front diff backwards - which decreases the angle of your CV's - giving them a longer life. If its not a 4x4, then lifting wont serve you much use other than that tough look they get (with the addition of some chunky rubber - which is a whole other issue that needs lots of research). Im not to sure what the height difference is between the 4x4 and 2WD - id assume they are the same, its only really the workmates that are "car spec" height.

Now, being IFS - if you dont really know how to do it, then maybe call a friend or talk to a mechanic or a suspension shop. If your replacing the shocks / springs with factory height shocks and springs, then it wont be to hard. But if your replacing them with components that will be lifting the hilux higher then factory, then there is a little more to that. Youll only need standard toyota sized sockets, 12, 14, 17, 19mm sockets - on a half inch ratchet (anything smaller will probably break) a good breaker bar will make light work of tight bolts. Also having those sized spanner (particularly 14mm) will also help, youll need a set of allen keys. Undoing the coil/shock at the top - there are 3 bolts, (12mm from memory). Then its the same as replacing shocks/coils on a car, using spring compressors (becareful with them) etc. If its a bit tight getting the new components in, then youll have to loosen the bushes on the lower control arm off - but you shouldnt run into that problem - if you do then id suggest that there are other things wrong there. The only other thing you need to do before taking the coil/shock units out is the sway bar that goes from one side to the other across the front of your car, you just undo that (12 or 14mm i think) and manoeuvre it out of the way.

Might pay to get a haynes manual, they are gold.

Hope this helps!