AK00FJ's Toyota MCV20 Camry

FRM05A

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading Akhil's (XV20GT) post, i had my calipers and rotors changed again today.

Should have read he's post a little more thoroughly... 329mm rotors are actually off the 2008- Klugers and 296mm are off 2003-2008.

Differences are 329mm uses twin pistons and 296mm uses single piston...

Anyways, installed it anyways.

IMG_20121025_105044.jpg

Here is a comparison of the Kluger's single piston and my existing Camry's twin piston.

IMG_20121025_114458.jpg

After doing some back ground theory reading and users experiences on larger rotors and calipers... users experience seem to be better than theory. Is this the placebo effect? :wacko: Is larger calipers and rotors actually going to further improve my braking abilities on my Camry when i did not pair the other components like the master and the car only used as a daily?

I am having doubts... lol... I guess I will give it a go.

Thank you for reading. ^_^

Mate the car is looking schmick as! like linhvo says showroom, mags look like they were meant to be on it ,'

I'm sure you will notice a diff with your new brakes nice upgrade.

After doing some back ground theory reading and users experiences on larger rotors and calipers... users experience seem to be better than theory. Is this the placebo effect? :wacko: Is larger calipers and rotors actually going to further improve my braking abilities on my Camry when i did not pair the other components like the master and the car only used as a daily?

I have done a lot of research in this areas, in summary,

in some scenario, large rotor might stops longer due to brake bias imbalance. Brake balance is an such important factor to be considered, unfortunately, it is very hard to adjust, even with bigger front rotor, the braking distance actually increase..The first link below shows braking distance increase in a Honda DC5 after changing to a large front rotor

I won't go for larger rotor because if you study the brake mechanism (http://www.myturbodi...c/brake/PF3.jpg), master cyclinder is not designed for that. changing the rotor will just imbalnce the braking equation

I recommend you read the following articles. I have cleared up a lot of misconception about braking

http://www.sportcomp...tech/index.html - case where a well designed big brake kit on a modified car resulted in worse braking

http://www.zeckhause...kes.htm#Summary - test result on different size rotors, increasing the rotor size by 28mm will result in decreasing braking distance by 5 feet from 100mph to 0

http://www.myturbodi...q/brake_FAQ.htm

Edited by ben yip

in some scenario, large rotor might stops longer due to brake bias imbalance. Brake balance is an such important factor to be considered, unfortunately, it is very hard to adjust, even with bigger front rotor, the braking distance actually increase..The first link below shows braking distance increase in a Honda DC5 after changing to a large front rotor

I won't go for larger rotor because if you study the brake mechanism (http://www.myturbodi...c/brake/PF3.jpg), master cyclinder is not designed for that. changing the rotor will just imbalnce the braking equation

I recommend you read the following articles. I have cleared up a lot of misconception about braking

http://www.sportcomp...tech/index.html - case where a well designed big brake kit on a modified car resulted in worse braking

http://www.zeckhause...kes.htm#Summary - test result on different size rotors, increasing the rotor size by 28mm will result in decreasing braking distance by 5 feet from 100mph to 0

Ahh yes but you are talking about a single application of the brakes. Now if you were going on a mountain run, your little rotors will struggle while the bigger rotor will be able to absorb a lot more heat and thus delaying or avoiding the fade issue.

And the other thing, with gen4 camrys, it doesnt use the rears anyways. The car had done 70k and the rear pads were like 75% still...

Yes I have upgraded brakes and yes they do make a difference.

Edited by STYLSH

Thanks guys for your input.

looks like it had just rolled out of the showroom. sooo clean :D

Since I had my car resprayed last year, I have been lazy and not washing my car often. The clear do make it look cleaner than it actually is :D

Mate the car is looking schmick as! like linhvo says showroom, mags look like they were meant to be on it ,'

I'm sure you will notice a diff with your new brakes nice upgrade.

Thanks Luke, may need your expertise on LED upgrades when I receive my new Gracia bumper bar from Japan. Thinking of using LEDs for the fog lamp holes.

That was a quick decision on the wheels, well done looks even fresher :)

Got a really good deal, the wheels where near new just off an Aurion and they were only charging me the price Toyota would sell for one wheel. Had to grab it before someone else buys it :P

Ahh yes but you are talking about a single application of the brakes. Now if you were going on a mountain run, your little rotors will struggle while the bigger rotor will be able to absorb a lot more heat and thus delaying or avoiding the fade issue.

And the other thing, with gen4 camrys, it doesnt use the rears anyways. The car had done 70k and the rear pads were like 75% still...

Yes I have upgraded brakes and yes they do make a difference.

Interesting read Ben, thank you. I do also know that a big contributor for stopping distance are your tires , just hope I haven't made my braking distance worse than what it was before. I do sometime drive like an idiot :P

Anyone that have driven the 20 series all know that the brakes are terrible especially when you compare to the 36 series.

Stylsh, your input have been comforting. Just out of curiosity, what did you change your calipers to?

I am running the supra tt rotors with the twin piston brakes from the previous Camry v6 calipers.

On stock brakes it fades so easily. And as I say our Camry do not use the rear brakes at all.

eventually will lower it :P spent too much money on this $3000 car.

have NST pulley coming from the US. after that, have a be a tight ***** for a while. :(

eventually will lower it :P spent too much money on this $3000 car.

have NST pulley coming from the US. after that, have a be a tight ***** for a while. :(

The one that removes the harmonic balancer and gives you 3/10 of bugger all performance gains?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It does, not as bright as the front though. should change the led within. I'll take some more photos once the car is repairs.

Flow coated the bonnet today.

• 1 month later...

Firstly I would like to say that I am very thankful that all parties, my partner, gentleman in front and me, were able to walk out of the accident without much injury.

I was involved in another accident last Thursday which may result in parting with my Camry…

From what I am aware, the Police have not yet come to a conclusion on who is at fault. But, someone has quietly informed that I may be charged for reckless driving!!! If this is the case, I will definitely appeal this in court.

In short, what happened was around 11pm I was travelling on the M4 motorway in an overtaking 100 km/h speed zone lane without any traffic in front of me... suddenly a car decides to change into my lane and came to a complete stop… This car did not indicate at all, brake lights not working, and also stopped with no traffic in front of both middle and overtaking lane. I only
have 3 seconds to respond and come to a complete stop, in which was impossible… This car that was in front of me was being a rubberneck and checking out another accident on the slow lane…

I will try to upload a video from my black box for you guys to see, having no solid information from the Police as of yet, it is driving me mental, need some clarity. :(

Thank you for reading.

With your details it would seem the other party was driving recklessly .

However if you are charged, appeal and bring the evidence you've got.

Unedited video now uploaded... Please disregard the audio recording. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ8m4wlefRM

I did what I can to avoid the accident. The action of the other party (OP) is and will be a danger to other commuters on the roads.

Road conditions at the time of the accident:

• Clear and dry
  • Minimal traffic
  • Motorway/freeway (100km/h zone)

Pre 23:01:00 (time)

• OP do not have stopped traffic in front of he's lane
  • I did not have traffic in my lane

23:01:00 (time)

• OP started to enter my lane; the fast lane, I can barely see even in my video
  • OP did not indicate before and when he is changing lane
  • OP changed lane without a safe distance
  • OP may have no brake lamps/globes. Faulty? (compared to the vehicle behind him)

23:01:01 (time)

• OP still entering my lane
  • I reacted by pressing my brakes, headlamps started to dip

23:01:02 (time)

• OP came to a complete stop. Faulty brake lamps?
  • OP stopped when there are no interference in both the middle and the fast lane (my lane). These lanes are clear. Please note, there are no stopping on the motorway/freeway
  • OP left wheel are still on the broken line marking
  • My car braking, headlamps dipped even further

23:01:03 (time)

• Impact occurred on the start of 3rd second.

While reviewing the NSW RMS road rules (www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/road_users_handbook.pdf‎),
I have extracted the following:

Page 122

Before changing lane, signal plenty of time and check for other vehicles by looking in your mirrors and your blind spot (look over your shoulders).

Page 129

When overtaking you must:

• Not go over the speed limit
  • Make sure the road ahead is clear and that there is sufficient space for you to complete the manoeuvre (check side streets and other lanes to ensure nothing will enter this space while you are overtaking).
  • Check mirrors
  • Signal each change in position long enough to give sufficient warning to others.
  • Check blind spots for motorcycles and other vehicles before changing your lane position.
  • Pass the vehicle with sufficent space to avoid a collision (you should be able to see the vehicle you have overtaken in your rear vision mirror before you move in front of it).
  • Give way to traffic already in the lane you are moving to.

You must not overtake:

• Unless you have a clear view of any approaching traffic and you can complete the manoeuvre safely (do no commence an overtaking manoeuvre when approaching a crest, curve or any limited vision situation).

I did receive an infringement from the Police, charging me for negligent driving...

Who do you guys think is at fault?