AK00FJ's Toyota MCV20 Camry

FRM05A

For some reason (and this is going from past experience with my ex) the person who shunts will be at fault and is liable to pay the excess...

HOWEVER.

The OP was stopped, on a motorway/freeway, on the OUTSIDE lane. Freeways have an emergency stopping lane for a reason. Clearly the OP should have stopped in it, not in one of the normal lanes. OP is the negligent driver here.

Where to your's and OP's insurance companies stand on the incident?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My insurer is on my side after they have seen my video, so there are seeking the other party for liability. In the meantime, excess will apply until recovery are completed.

After visiting the Police station last Saturday, apparently they did not see my video. Constable in charge said that if he have seen the video prior he would not have initiated a fine. He asked me not to pay the fine until he discuss this matter further with duty Sargent and Highway Patrol. Constable also said that our statements did not match.

Hopefully things will turn out well for me...

• 4 weeks later...

After chasing the Police since the accident date, they have finally responded today by saying that I was at fault as I did not slow down to the speed of the SUV in the lane on the left?!?! How can this be when the guy I collided into made many traffic offences and whereas I did not?

Sorry, I have to agree with the police. I could see the traffic was pretty much stopped and there were cars in that lane, not to mention cleary see the car you hit(regardless of not indicating).

I would have to agree with Trent on this matter as well. With the traffic slowing down in the left lane, your reaction should have been to start slowing down as you approached them even though you were in the other lane. Had you have been on the brakes already to match the surrounding cars, you would have been able to avoid hitting that other car. Looking at the video, you can see your reaction is too late and could have been avoided.

I agree, from the very beginning of that video you can see the rear vehicle in the left hand lane had brake lights on the entire time, as obviously they observed the accident and had been able to stop safely. You can't blame other driver's because you didn't want to take precautions when obviously something had occurred up ahead. A safe driver drives to the road conditions and circumstances.

Furthermore by the time I see your headlights dip that other vehicle had already been in your lane for a considerable time, they didn't cut you off at the last second you just didn't react until it was far too late. Every other driver there had been paying attention and avoided the incident

Don't twist the details to paint yourself in a positive light

Thanks for your opinions. Don't think I twisted anything. Video is black and white. Bad judgement played a role, but I personally think he contributed.

That's right - it is hard to come to a complete stop in that 50m before collision... you had more than 5 seconds to react... I'm assuming you were traveling at highway speed which is 100km/h... you needed to start braking at least 5 seconds earlier in which I could clearly see that the vehicle was intending to change lanes and was held up due to the slow flow of traffic in front... We may not always like it but at the end of the day like my father always said when he taught me to drive, "You're not just driving for yourself. You're driving for everyone else on the road too." To that end, I have only ever been involved in 1 accident that was my fault and was that minor that it was the same amount as the excess basically, which for an over 25 driver in a 1.3L Yaris isn't much... 1 accident in 14 years... and even then he started to move into traffic and then decided to stop...

I'm sorry, that was poor judgement, and it is people like you that lack the basic driving skills and appropriate knowledge of road etiquette to which we owe much insurance inflation and vast amounts of time wasted waiting for accidents to clear... You caused the accident and you should be charged with reckless driving...

Insurance inflates premium for many reason in which people like you will not see... being in industry, i do see a lot of dirt.

Edited by FRM05A

In terms of insurance, you generally get what you pay for. Always read your product disclosure statement. Insurance premium have been increasing and will continue. Cost of repair seem to decreasing, due to both competition and insurer squeezing. Insurers are opening their own workshop, some the size of airplane hangars, do you think they will produce quality repairs when they do spot repairs? Insurance companies are too smart to let you win. My opinion.

I'm sorry Robert but that was totally avoidable. The vid incriminates you not exonerates you. Of course your insurer is going to try and twist it to not pay out.

Bad judgement played a role

The cause of most accidents :(

EDIT: but you did the right thing. The worst thing you can ever do after an accident is to admit to fault. Let others work that out you never know when you can get a lucky break

In terms of insurance, you generally get what you pay for. Always read your product disclosure statement. Insurance premium have been increasing and will continue. Cost of repair seem to decreasing, due to both competition and insurer squeezing. Insurers are opening their own workshop, some the size of airplane hangars, do you think they will produce quality repairs when they do spot repairs? Insurance companies are too smart to let you win. My opinion.

I agree mate, the whole system needs an overhaul it's becoming criminal the way it works.

Everyone's saying its your fault so might as well tell you off too lol.

It is hard to come to a complete stop at that speed, but before i even so you hit the car i saw traffic starting to get heavy at a distance. So the smart thing to have done was slow the fck down :) But then again the driver didn't indicate..

But by law its your fault straight away

Edited by Rebz

I know I know. Been told by family already. On happier note. Car is fixed. Hehehe...

Btw, I like what guys did with your lights.

Chassis were untouched, generally bonnet, rad support damages. Parts including paint were hook up by courtesy of & Terry Shields Toyota.

Can't seem to link an image on my tab...

20130817_080942_zps54dceda6.jpg

Hey nice car! I've got a gen4 in the same colour. Not sure if you've posted anywhere about this already but where did you get your headlights from? Are they retrofitted or a brand new unit?

Headlights are series 2 genuine headlights. All I did was install a projector kit.

Yeaaa, been spotted. I must be blind, didn't see you...