Oil Pipe Leak

julian040859

I have just put my Aurion in for repair that will cost $580 including a trip back to the workshop on a tilt tray truck. I was driving along and the oil pressure warning went off, stopped the car immediately, popped the bonnet and found an ugly site. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership where they discovered the lower oil pipe near the oil filter had a pin size hole in it so I lost almost 3 litres of oil! The part alone is $275 and it is the rubber elbow only that in theory could be replaced, but Toyota force you to buy the metal pipes it is attached to. I know the VVTI oil pipe was a recall but has anyone had this pipe go on them. A poor quality rubber hose just a few cms long has cost me $580. Just not good enough Toyota!

Edited by julian040859

yes fair to say this is more of an individual engine issues and not so much as an issue of the engine design as you’ve noticed nobody has really had any dramas other than those outlined by recalls with the 2GR-FE. Sucks to hear of your issue though mate!

Good news :clap: Toyota Australia just approved an Out of Warranty repair. I just have to pay $120 for the tilt tray truck carting the vehicle back to the dealership. I sent an email to Toyota and the dealership also supported me in my request. Oh what a feeling now!

Edited by julian040859

Ask for the metal pipe to be installed. I paid for the part and Toyota replaced it instead some crappy hose...

From previous thread

Pipe Oil No. 2 - 15772-31030

Gasket - 90430-16012

Gasket - 90430-16016

Gasket - 90430-16017

http://img197.images...0/dsc04225m.jpg

How much for the metal part? and I assume it will be free of charge if its the same rubber rite?

Cheers

I cant remember exactly but it was under $50 for the parts. Just offer to pay for the part and ask them if they can fit it for you free of charge or for a small charge. I done it and I can sleep peacefully.

Ask for the metal pipe to be installed. I paid for the part and Toyota replaced it instead some crappy hose...

From previous thread

Gasket - 90430-16012

Gasket - 90430-16016

Gasket - 90430-16017

How much for the metal part? and I assume it will be free of charge if its the same rubber rite?

Cheers

I think you may be talking about the wrong pipe ... the one picture is well above the oil filter mentioned by the OP.

I'm suspecting the oil cooler hose based on the description. Labelled 15767 below (lower right):

diag_1iTFNgq.png

There is a metal version of this one available too.

Edited by 450HP/tonne

From previous thread

Gasket - 90430-16012

Gasket - 90430-16016

Gasket - 90430-16017

Cheers

I think you may be talking about the wrong pipe ... the one picture is well above the oil filter mentioned by the OP.

I'm suspecting the oil cooler hose based on the description. Labelled 15767 below (lower right):

diag_1iTFNgq.png

Can't open your picture, but, yes it is something to do with the oil cooler area, I haven't got the vehicle back yet but will post the actual part details shortly. It is in an almost inaccessible position unless the vehicle is on a hoist and the guard plate is taken off. The dealership told me they have never ordered that part before and they sell plenty of Aurions, Klugers etc with the same motor.

Edited by julian040859

450HP/tonne you were correct. It was the part you described in your picture. I picked up the vehicle today and they confirmed it was in fact the Oil Cooler Assembly Hose and you had to buy it as an entire hose assembly hence why it would have cost $279. However as I got it fixed as a special matter Out Of Warranty Claim I did not have to pay for it. I just have to pay for the tilt tray truck getting me back to the dealership. I think the new hose assembly is of better quality and may have been changed on later models compared to my 2007 engine. I will post a picture of it when I get a chance to remove the shield under the motor. The dealership also tested the engine and said everything was fine, they gave me a loan car during the period so I was very happy with the outcome.

Edited by julian040859

• 2 weeks later...

From previous thread

Gasket - 90430-16012

Gasket - 90430-16016

Gasket - 90430-16017

Cheers

diag_1iTFNgq.png

Can't open your picture, but, yes it is something to do with the oil cooler area, I haven't got the vehicle back yet but will post the actual part details shortly. It is in an almost inaccessible position unless the vehicle is on a hoist and the guard plate is taken off. The dealership told me they have never ordered that part before and they sell plenty of Aurions, Klugers etc with the same motor.

Here is a picture of the replacement hose which appears to be all metal with a stretchy bendy section (not sure what word you would use?)where the rubber hose was on the old part. It appears to be much stronger. You actually can see it without removing the plastic guard under the front as it is near the oil filter.

post-6135-0-74958700-1325060884_thumb.jp

Edited by julian040859

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

The same thing has just happened to my 2007 Aurio AT-X as well. I am @ about 127,000 km now. The oil cooler return hose also has developed a hole. My friend who did some work on cars on his own came over and we had a look and found the oil spurting just as in Kinezo's video on another thread http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/45719-major-oil-leak-help/

I have spoken to the dealership where I bought it as a used car and have also contacted Toyota Australia about this issue of discontinued part. Both of them were not able to do anything for me.

You are very lucky julian040859 to have that part replaced. I have to say I don't think it is that infrequent, given that Toyota's engineer have redesigned that part of the vehicle. Then using a bit of a marketing ploy Toyota discontinues stocking an alternative and more affordable solution, without issuing a notice to their customers.

I have been quoted by a local mechanic that to fix the problem I would need to order the full metal replacement. I am currently an international student studying here in Melbourne and definitely cannot afford to fork out the ~$600 to get it fixed. So I am looking for a more affordable alternative. I am sending the car to another mechanic and hopefully he can recommend a cheaper solution.

Otherwise, very unhappy that I have to spend so much money for a piece of rubber hose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Same problem happened to me this week on a 2007 model.

We took the car to the dealer to get a new driver side sunvisor fitted, they noticed oil leaking at the time (no sign of any in the garage at home so assume it had only just started to leak).

So in a way we were lucky we were at the garage at the time so it went straight in for repair.

As per this thread it was a small hole in the rubber hose and this was the replacement part(s)...

71DE89ODKHL._SL1500_.jpg

TO1576731020 PIPE, OIL COOLER $188.98

TO1149631010 GASKET, OIL HOLE $4.76

TO1578531010 GASKET, OIL COOLER $6.38

Plus $299.88 Labour (Total Bill $550)

Ouch for a small hole in a rubber hose!

I'm well past my warranty (did buy the car from new from the same garage that did this repair) so I didn't try to get Toyota to contribute...should I?

Sorry I don't understand some comments on here .

My understanding of some of the comments are

Toyota brought out a correct repair method, discontinued the failed part and some people are not happy about this ?

And 7 years then your car just failed, and its a engineering problem? that sounds like the mechanic not checking the vehicle properly as he could have bent the pipes back into correct position.

If the hose rubbed thru, Id get a transmission oil cooler line and fit that pirtek can do that.

A engineering problem would be like a gearbox main shaft breaking thru the oil gallery.

Edited by Cbr600

Let me help you then...

Toyota discontinued a failed part recognising that the rubber pipe was a problem and replaced it with a metal pipe - all good.

However they have chosen not to contact Lexus and Toyota vehicle owners with a 3.5L V6 (2GR-FE) engine manufactured prior to April 2008 to provide them with advice to have the part replaced.

When the rubber pipe fails there is rapid oil loss (ours went from full to extremely low in a 10 minute drive to a Toyota garage to get a sun visor replaced) which can result in severe damage to your vehicle.

As a purchaser of a Toyota from new and having previously had it routinely serviced at the Toyota dealership sorry I would expect a little more. It was pure luck that we were visiting the garage at the time it occurred.

It makes me reconsider the purchase of a Toyota now we are nearing the time for a new purchase.

From your story id say that is a dealer ship issue. Assuming it's getting 100% servicing and repairs done at the same dealership which is not so much a factory issue.

Have you lived at the same address since you purchased the unit? Or when you moved did you advise toyota Australia and not the dealer ship?

When I have a vehicle come into my workshop we make sure all the recalls are done, even if the customer has not requested it. Our system will flag the vehicle if a recall has not been done.

That's the problem though, there is no Recall or Customer Service Engagement according to Toyota Australia for this pipe. There was a CSE for something similar, but apparently not this switch to the metal pipe, that CSE was done by my dealership[ when the vehicle was in for servicing.

I purchased a mid 2008 Aurion S/H in 2012. After reading this thread I had my local independent mechanic check the staus of the suspect oil pipe.

It was still the rubber unit. My mechanic checked with local Toyota dealer who advised that no recall on this item had ever been issued to this dealership.

However the replacement metal pipe is freely available as a spare part.

I am having the changeover carried out as a precaution - I pay all costs. Car now has 125,000 km on the odo.

Better to do the upgrade sooner, rather than have an oil loss disaster at an inconvenient location, and also risk severe engine damage.

Thanks for the additional info Steve. I'll call my guys at pirtek to get me some decent hydraulic hose ..

My Aurion has 235k on the clock and has the rubber hose..

• 2 weeks later...

At this point TMCA has not released a GSE (Guest Satisfaction exercise) on this old rubber pipe which as mentioned in the update and 50 series switched to a mental pipe. It's not particularly expensive to replace and not guaranteed that you'll ever have a problem with it. Compared to the number of 2GR's in Toyota and Lexus models in Australia the failure rate is very, very low and always on high km older vehicles. Have i thought about replacing it on my 2008? Yes but have i bothered to do anything about getting it replaced? Nope. Also remember the majority of threads about this problem on the net is from American made engines not Japanese/Aussie ones.

At this point TMCA has not released a GSE (Guest Satisfaction exercise) on this old rubber pipe which as mentioned in the update and 50 series switched to a mental pipe. It's not particularly expensive to replace and not guaranteed that you'll ever have a problem with it. Compared to the number of 2GR's in Toyota and Lexus models in Australia the failure rate is very, very low and always on high km older vehicles. Have i thought about replacing it on my 2008? Yes but have i bothered to do anything about getting it replaced? Nope. Also remember the majority of threads about this problem on the net is from American made engines not Japanese/Aussie ones.

I didn't consider $550 to replace it cheap (cost by Toyota dealership). I think you have to look at the risk exposure, considering the severe damage that can be done due to the rapid oil loss that should outweigh considerations on the likelihood, what I do know is that it did happen to my vehicle and my vehicle was Australian bought. Thankfully through pressing Toyota then have reimbursed the cost of the replacement so that was a great final outcome from Toyota. I think a CSE (Customer Service Exercise) is warranted.

• 3 weeks later...

Cost or value for money is always perspective, however that's fair more expensive than we have charged the 2 customers we've seen with the issue. That aside it's great that TMCA came to the party and covered the replacement pipe. It's up to the dealer network to continue to report known cases to TMCA via a DPR so that enough evidence can be had to back a GSE campaign.