Oil Pipe Leak

julian040859

• 3 months later...

I've searched the internet and can't find any other comments on this oil leak, seems like i'm the only lucky one sad.gif

Hmm... Just have a look under the car near the oil filter, If you see to rubber hoses connected with the metal pipe you may get in trouble , As I had problem and did some patch with glue to get back to home and got it replaced ...!!!

I own 2008 aurion atx. which has came up with oil warning light all of sudden when I was touring with my family. Then I checked and found oil rubber hose burst near the filter. I googled it and came to know its a common problem with aurion 3.5L engine. I did some reserch for the pars and found in ebay from US the genuine pipe with gaskets. Its a horrible thing to replace. It took me 9 hours to replace, being a heavy vehichle mechanic for 12 years... !!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not aware of a recall for those. The VVT-i pipe does though.

There is a recall for the oil cooler pipe. I had it replaced by the dealer this morning.

I stand corrected.

No worries mate.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

This just gave way on my 2006 Aurion Sportivo at 396000 k's.  Can someone tell me where i can order this online?

Edited by Nigel D

• 1 year later...

in case anyone is wondering, Stewart Toyota Sutherland replaced my oil cooler pipe recently for free. it wasn't leaking and they did it in under 2 hours.

• 5 months later...

My 2005 Aurion blew that oil pipe on the way to work, car had to be trucked to toyota dealer who replaced the part under warrantee (I was the 3rd owner) and valeted the car for free. I was most impressed, however I have just bought a replacement Aurion and need to find out if it has been done or not, Toyota did the recall here in New Zealand.

5 hours ago, Hush said:

I have just bought a replacement Aurion and need to find out if it has been done or not, Toyota did the recall here in New Zealand.

Have a look for a silver sticker affixed in the driver's door opening. Another way is to put the car up on ramps and have a look at the oil cooler pipes which are located near the oil filter cartridge housing. 

Following YouTube video will show where to look and the full metal replacement pipes. 

Hey Metal_Head yes I ignored 3 letters from Toyota before my car spat the oil line and they still replaced it under warrantee so if they are asking you should go get it done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hush said:

Hey Metal_Head yes I ignored 3 letters from Toyota before my car spat the oil line and they still replaced it under warrantee so if they are asking you should go get it done.

It may be an inconvenience but ignore that notice at your own peril.

When that oil line leaks, you will lose the engine oil very quickly and an oil pressure warning light should display. Pull over immediately and have it towed to a dealership. This is what many have posted doing and fortunately for them, the engine has been OK.

I have had an oil leak from the rear VVTi oil line [pin hole leak in the rubber mid-section] so I know just how much oil drips out of the engine just while it is idling. Apparently an oil leak from the oil cooler lines can be much worst. One reason why I check my oil level weekly and inspect the oil cooler lines [for any oil seepage] whenever I have the car up on ramps.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, campbeam said:

It may be an inconvenience but ignore that notice at your own peril.

When that oil line leaks, you will lose the engine oil very quickly and an oil pressure warning light should display. Pull over immediately and have it towed to a dealership. This is what many have posted doing and fortunately for them, the engine has been OK.

I have had an oil leak from the rear VVTi oil line [pin hole leak in the rubber mid-section] so I know just how much oil drips out of the engine just while it is idling. Apparently an oil leak from the oil cooler lines can be much worst. One reason why I check my oil level weekly and inspect the oil cooler lines [for any oil seepage] whenever I have the car up on ramps.

It's probably been said before, but I still can't believe the engineers thought it would be a good idea to use rubber hoses to transport hot engine oil. I'm not an engineer and I can tell you that's not a good idea :laugh::bangin:

Edited by Tony Prodigy

2 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

I read the email again, and it seems to be worded in a way that they will only replace it with metal pipes if it's leaking. Doesn't give me much confidence 

Really ? I thought it would be done as a matter of urgency that it will eventually cause a problem. Have you called them about it ?

I'd have a chat with your local dealership and hash it out. Tell them that it's unacceptable to have a ticking time bomb when it was the Company's mistake in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2007 and 2009, I got letters this year asking me to bring them in for free replacement. On the question of rubber hose - there is often a need for flexibility like in the air conditioning hoses mounted on the engine and then on the condenser or fuel lines between body and (moving and vibrating) engine. 
There are lots of applications where rubber- or nylon etc hose is used for pressure in hydraulics, brake lines etc I wonder if the problem here is a bit of rubbing rather than just heat and pressure. Would love to see a replaced part to know why they fail

44 minutes ago, matt36415 said:

On the question of rubber hose - there is often a need for flexibility like in the air conditioning hoses mounted on the engine and then on the condenser or fuel lines between body and (moving and vibrating) engine. 

Not in this case. The oil cooler pipes simply move oil from one part of the engine to the other so there is no need for any flexible hosing. Toyota engineers either got lazy when designing it or they thought hot oil would be ok to circulate via rubber hoses. Either way, it was a dumb mistake.

Air conditioning is different in that several components of the system are not on the engine but on the chassis and the need for flexible hosing is vital for routing and connectivity. 

The oil cooler pipe rubber hoses degrade pretty quickly with the extreme heat cycles and they will eventually split hence the new and "upgraded" fix. It should've been a full metal pipe affair from the beginning. 

Here are some videos to help illustrate all this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygNboPlS-HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA018dMgK44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0OcZijRhE

Edited by Tony Prodigy

1 hour ago, matt36415 said:

I wonder if the problem here is a bit of rubbing rather than just heat and pressure. Would love to see a replaced part to know why they fail

It is heat and pressure and the quality of the rubber hoses. The oil cooler pipes when they leak are replaced by Toyota.

It is a different matter for the rear VVTi oil pressure line which is no longer covered by Toyota. There was a Technical Service Bulletin released in 2008/2009? and a kit provided to the dealerships to replace the rubber mid-section with upgraded rubber specification hose section. This must have been a workaround until full metal pipe was able to be supplied. Due to the length of this pipe, you need to make sure that the mid-section is bolted to avoid potential breakage due to vibration.

Oil cooler pipes are a different. The OEM rubber hoses were of a higher specification. Yet they still developed seepage or a pin hole leak. 

I have already had the "joy" and expense of replacing the rear VVTi oil line.

In the meantime, I am keeping a watchful eye on these oil cooler pipes. 

@matt36415 Toyota must love you more than me to send you letters to come in for a replacement.