I can hear a spring noise when turning my steering wheel

Silver-Aurion

The other day I was driving without any music on and I noticed that when I turn my steering wheel to turn left or right, I can hear a noise like a someone turning a screw and the spring opening and close kind of sound. It sounds really scary like a spring is about to pop out of somewhere.

It sounds exactly like that. MINUS the horrible dry grinding sound :lol: but you can hear the spring behind all that other noise the BMW is making.

• 3 weeks later...

This problem seems to be getting worse as it's more audible now. Anyone know what's going on here?

wheel baerings ? have you brought it to a mechanic or anything ?

This problem seems to be getting worse as it's more audible now. Anyone know what's going on here?

wheel baerings ? have you brought it to a mechanic or anything ?

Not yet. Getting it booked today at the Toyota dealer since I still have the extra care warranty.

Please post back your findings.

I have had the noise you describe happen 3 times in my car but each happened while going very slow and reversing at half lock.

In my case the problem can not be recreated.

Alright so I got the car back yesterday. They found the problem to be the spiral cable. They've rebooked me for Thursday to get it replaced when the part comes in.

I absolutely love Toyota warranty/extra care. They change everything almost no questions asked.

What did they replace? And how much would it cost if not under warranty?

They said they replaced the spiral cable. No clue on price though as I never received any paper work. Just drop the car off and pick it back up.

Are you experiencing the same noise as well??

Slightly.. I guess it's pretty normal to hear it just near to the full right lock. That video of BMW is wayyy worse.. Hopefully I won't get to that point ever.

Did they explain to you what caused this? And just for the sake of the forum, find out how much it costs to replace. :)

They never explained why. I never really asked why but I guess if you type into google, 'spiral cable toyota' you might get some info. I really cbf calling them to ask how much it costs, I always get put on hold for like 5 minutes so you can do that mate lol.

But the guy did say it takes couple of hours. So labour they would probably charge two hours + part.

it is the contact cable for the horn or airbag sensor. Obviously dry or rubbing and then wears and you get the grinding type noise. It's an easy fix but not for steering wheels with airbags as that can be dangerous if they go off. There is a right and a wrong way to do it so best to take it to toyota!!