exhaust system! help

dweebz

ok so my gf gna get me an exhaust system for my bday. anyways im unsure what im after.

i called up acouple of exhaust places and they quoted around the 4-500 mark.

i told them i wanted a 2.5" catback system but they said that i should stay with the 2.25 setup.

reading on here seems like 2.5 is the way to go.

anyways do i want a 2.5" straight pipe from the catylic converter? to the muffler?

thanks

ok so my gf gna get me an exhaust system for my bday. anyways im unsure what im after.

i called up acouple of exhaust places and they quoted around the 4-500 mark.

i told them i wanted a 2.5" catback system but they said that i should stay with the 2.25 setup.

reading on here seems like 2.5 is the way to go.

anyways do i want a 2.5" straight pipe from the catylic converter? to the muffler?

thanks

your better off staying stock if your going to get them to make you a 2.25inch. you can ask Clifton, he accidentally went with a 2.25inch instead of a 2.5inch originally. do a 2.5inch from the cat all the way back to the muffler. if you get a 2.5 inch, expect to lose some throttle response, however you can also expect better gains above 4k, especially in lift. I noticed my fuel efficiency also got a lot better with a 2.5inch catback after about 2 fill ups.

Was kinda make me not want to go up to 2.5. How cus I don't drive that hard to enjoy the higher revs. Would headers be a better option for me

headers are a waste of money if your not going to put a 2.5inch on. Honestly, your best option would be to get her to order your a remus axle back muffler from Germany, they give good gains with no loss in performance.

What is your purpose in getting a new catback? Louder? Better flow? Or getting a specific tone?

I'm assuming your corolla is a 1.6 or 1.8, in that case something along the lines of 2" or 2.25" mandrel bent straight through would probably be ideal for a daily driver. 2.5" may be a bit too big, you would lose some low end torque, but if you are planning to upgrade the cams in future, 2.5" would be right for those. If you just want it to be loud, then 2.5" would be the go.

If you just want it to be a bit louder and sportier, consider just taking out the stock mufflers, and replacing with a hotdog and a straight through muffler.

I would encourage you to do more research though, exhausts are a very subjective area and everyone has a different opinion of them. For all I know my opinion could be wrong.

I'm guessing your car is a Sportivo with 2ZZGE. 2.5" is what you need to make power and feel some gains. You will also need a centre resonator in the system as well or it will be unbearable to drive and drone like there is no tomorrow. For the money you want to spend you wont get a quality cat back system thats for sure. If you dont hit lift that often then my advice is get headers. CES Racing do headers which are stock items ported flowed and then HPC coated. Great improvement in drivability in the low to mid range. I'd do this first then add a cat back system later on if you want more of an increase in HP.

Here's a link to the headers...

http://www.cesracing.com.au/products_5.htm

The catback system...

http://www.cesracing.com.au/products_6.htm

Cold Air intake just incase you are interested...

http://www.cesracing.com.au/products_7.htm

All of their products have been dyno tested and have proven gains unlike some others out there who will just tell you there products work. Buyer beware as have seen waaay too many people been ripped off after being promised the earth so to speak and end up with a car that doesnt perform like it should.

Cheers SB :)