First Mods to Ascent Sport.

Tofuboi

How? Cai, exhaust and chip on a 1zz aint going to get close to a standard stivo. Suspension is better on the stivo standard. Interior etc etc. 6 speed...

A turbo levin would be quicker and maybe for 5k it could be done but then the rest of the package would let it down. I for one would not want to drive it. $10k for a complete package. And a turbo stivo would be heaps better and a a great street sleeper.

To be honest I really dont see the ascent and levin as anything but a shopping trolley and its a boring appliance as wheels, motor and all claim. A stivo on the other hand has a incredible motor and can be punted along very quickly with some supsension mods and better tyres.

Sportivo is a performance bargain that many ppl underestimate.

Levin - who cares, good car for my mum and thats as far as it goes IMHO.

PS And when it comes to resale who would want to buy a riced up levin? Modding it would most likely decrease its value!

when i had a 1zz with CAI, flywheel and exhaust (was rear muffler changed only) i pulled 94kw atw so add an emanage and that would make 100kw atw without too many issues, stock sportivos pull bout 105-110, you ask some of the brisbane guys how quick a 1zz is with 94kw atw you will be surprised....

Edited by Northy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um low 16's or something? I think I read that somewhere on this forum.

Where a standard stivo does low to mid 15's stock.

OMG, I gotta stop doing this!! Comparing a 1zz to a 2zz is stupid. 1zz is a shopping trolley and 2zz is a sports engine.

*** who cares how fast a ascent/levin can go if someone chucks money at it, I could chuck $5,000 at a hyundai getz and make it quick.

How? Cai, exhaust and chip on a 1zz aint going to get close to a standard stivo. Suspension is better on the stivo standard. Interior etc etc. 6 speed...

A turbo levin would be quicker and maybe for 5k it could be done but then the rest of the package would let it down. I for one would not want to drive it. $10k for a complete package. And a turbo stivo would be heaps better and a a great street sleeper.

To be honest I really dont see the ascent and levin as anything but a shopping trolley and its a boring appliance as wheels, motor and all claim. A stivo on the other hand has a incredible motor and can be punted along very quickly with some supsension mods and better tyres.

Sportivo is a performance bargain that many ppl underestimate.

Levin - who cares, good car for my mum and thats as far as it goes IMHO.

PS And when it comes to resale who would want to buy a riced up levin? Modding it would most likely decrease its value!

when i had a 1zz with CAI, flywheel and exhaust (was rear muffler changed only) i pulled 94kw atw so add an emanage and that would make 100kw atw without too many issues, stock sportivos pull bout 105-110, you ask some of the brisbane guys how quick a 1zz is with 94kw atw you will be surprised....

Quick :P :P :P

OMG, I gotta stop doing this!! Comparing a 1zz to a 2zz is stupid. 1zz is a shopping trolley and 2zz is a sports engine.

*** who cares how fast a ascent/levin can go if someone chucks money at it, I could chuck $5,000 at a hyundai getz and make it quick.

Yeah sorry to say mate, but you are clearly missinformed.

From memory, Northy's 1zz pulled a 15.1 quarter for best time...beats just about any stock stivo. The fastest stivo on this forum is ~14.8 with more money spent on it than Northy's 1zz.

1zz vs 2zz is a perfectly legit comparison, the 1zz is not a shopping trolley, at the time of release (i think it still may be) the highest torque 1.8L enging as well as the highest power:weight ratio (i read in a development document that the whole 1zz engine weighs only 90kg!).

Also the 1zz and 2zz are built from the same engine block, the difference is in the cam configurations and i believe the injectors are vastly different. This is to accommodate the LIFT function of the 2zzge motor. The 2zz motor is somehow almost TWICE the weight of the 1zz motor.

YES stock vs stock a 1zz is about 16 sec quater tops, whereas 2zz (we are only talking about engines here because they are the EXACT same cars otherwise...) does 15.3 or something? Be aware however that in order to get that output from a 2zz you have to rev the TITS off it, many stivo owners here would probably agree that it is not as much as a practical road car as the 1zz - but who cares, damn fun to drive :) .

I am not even going to touch the issues you raised with F/I 1zz and 2zz...

As for your last comment, this topic i believe is about mods to an ascent? So perhaps do not try and keep things stock, because the topic is about, what can be mods can done to an ascent, not stock stivo vs stock ascent.

And about the Getz...HAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol:

Mate, my mother owns one of those things and deadset, i would LOVE to see you throw 5k at it (excluding an engine replacement) and have it sustainably beat, let alone match, just a 1zz. Those engines have no potential at all - total lack of displacement means not torque, no power, NOTHING. But they only cost 14k and get you from A to B...see my point?

For alot of people, money is the object mate, not everyone has 27k to throw at a new stivo just because it is faster than an ascent sport. Don't knock it until you have owned one chump, they are quality vehicles with plenty of tunable fun :D

Well I certainly didnt expect this to turn into a Ascent/Levin vs Stivo war thats for sure.

I've made it pretty clear that I cannot get a manual license right now, besides right now, I just want something that does the whole A to B thing, but with a bit of class and customisability on the side for when I feel like it you know?

I'm sure you all understand what I mean.

Yeah sorry to say mate, but you are clearly missinformed.

From memory, Northy's 1zz pulled a 15.1 quarter for best time...beats just about any stock stivo. The fastest stivo on this forum is ~14.8 with more money spent on it than Northy's 1zz.

1zz vs 2zz is a perfectly legit comparison, the 1zz is not a shopping trolley, at the time of release (i think it still may be) the highest torque 1.8L enging as well as the highest power:weight ratio (i read in a development document that the whole 1zz engine weighs only 90kg!).

Also the 1zz and 2zz are built from the same engine block, the difference is in the cam configurations and i believe the injectors are vastly different. This is to accommodate the LIFT function of the 2zzge motor. The 2zz motor is somehow almost TWICE the weight of the 1zz motor.

YES stock vs stock a 1zz is about 16 sec quater tops, whereas 2zz (we are only talking about engines here because they are the EXACT same cars otherwise...) does 15.3 or something? Be aware however that in order to get that output from a 2zz you have to rev the TITS off it, many stivo owners here would probably agree that it is not as much as a practical road car as the 1zz - but who cares, damn fun to drive :) .

I am not even going to touch the issues you raised with F/I 1zz and 2zz...

As for your last comment, this topic i believe is about mods to an ascent? So perhaps do not try and keep things stock, because the topic is about, what can be mods can done to an ascent, not stock stivo vs stock ascent.

And about the Getz...HAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol:

Mate, my mother owns one of those things and deadset, i would LOVE to see you throw 5k at it (excluding an engine replacement) and have it sustainably beat, let alone match, just a 1zz. Those engines have no potential at all - total lack of displacement means not torque, no power, NOTHING. But they only cost 14k and get you from A to B...see my point?

For alot of people, money is the object mate, not everyone has 27k to throw at a new stivo just because it is faster than an ascent sport. Don't knock it until you have owned one chump, they are quality vehicles with plenty of tunable fun :D

he had a bit of help on the 15.1 :D

I'll just keep driving my gutless econobox shopping trolly thanks.

It doesn't matter what car you're driving, if you really know how to drive it, it becomes a performance car. Sh!t I still put people to shame in my VH Commodore wagon too!

15.1 BS unless someone has a timeslip.

If someone claimed that a ascent could do a 15.1 with minor mods on any other car forum you would be laughed at.

Absolute stupitidy. I have driven an ascent BTW. Its um boring, motor is ok but nothing inspiring.

I see lots of ppl with acents and levins on here who have spent fortunes making there cars look like stivos. if they saved or borrowed a little more money to begin with they would have been much better off.

1zz IS a shopping trolley's motor. My point is no matter what you do its boring and a A-B mums car. Who gives a stuff if someone spent 5 grand. Absolute waste of money and you would never get it back on resale.

I love seeing ppl in riced up base models, always worth a laugh, and a modded ascent is definitely funny. Fully sik maattteee..

Time slips are posted, and the run was actually witnessed by a few members so BS it's not, Northy just know's how to drive alot better than you do.

S E A R C H

If you're here just to bag what people drive I think you're on the wrong forum, feel free to leave at any time.

State your opinion, Say that you prefer a 2zz and that you'd rather a Sportivo over a Levin, but don't p!ss on other people's cars, because people do things to their own individual tastes.

Edited by IZZ-FE

If someone claimed that a ascent could do a 15.1 with minor mods on any other car forum you would be laughed at.

Absolute stupitidy. I have driven an ascent BTW. Its um boring, motor is ok but nothing inspiring.

I see lots of ppl with acents and levins on here who have spent fortunes making there cars look like stivos. if they saved or borrowed a little more money to begin with they would have been much better off.

1zz IS a shopping trolley's motor. My point is no matter what you do its boring and a A-B mums car. Who gives a stuff if someone spent 5 grand. Absolute waste of money and you would never get it back on resale.

I love seeing ppl in riced up base models, always worth a laugh, and a modded ascent is definitely funny. Fully sik maattteee..

So are you calling my ride a rice up car? Sorry to say, but its the sportivo that looks like a Levin. Levin came out 1st for your information.

Edited by Danz

Gumball you are a ******, its simple as that, there is even video footage of the run so i think its time you stop talking about things you know nothing about, also your STOCK sportivo is NOTHING special either so if you want to start nit picking about peoples cars then i will be happy to give you a run in the 1zz-fe dont be too disapointed when you have to go home after being wasted by a "shopping trolley"

PS sorry for this tread turning sour, but its clear that some people just have on idea about whats going on.

Even if the 1ZZ is lame compared to the 2ZZ, back then the 1ZZ wins above its competition. I was one of the first people to modify this car, and back then even if my friend modded a lesser powerful car such the new civic, I never beg them. Because you see, modifying is about the passion, so please have respect.

What if I drive an S15, and I said to you that your 2zz-ge is a waste of time to mod because it is non-turbo? A person like you would probably be ****** off hearing that sort of word.

Gumball you are a ******, its simple as that, there is even video footage of the run so i think its time you stop talking about things you know nothing about, also your STOCK sportivo is NOTHING special either so if you want to start nit picking about peoples cars then i will be happy to give you a run in the 1zz-fe dont be too disapointed when you have to go home after being wasted by a "shopping trolley"

PS sorry for this tread turning sour, but its clear that some people just have on idea about whats going on.

its getting out of hands and sour

but i like northy post..

wasted by a "shopping trolley" lol hahahaha

show em northy

funny **** :P

Lets see them then. I still call BS. 15.1 is Clio Sport times, Golf GTI. BS BS BS.

I dont know whats going on, maybe mags test times different to they do a drag strip. If so I'm sorely dissapointed because I have been supporting the stivo on other forums quoting times from this board and near evertyone said stivo low 15's was BS. Maybe they were right, I really dont know now.

Sorry buddy your the ***** and I would be happy to run your POS anytime. I really really doubt I would loose. At best your car is a low 16's car on the road, no matter what BS vids or other crap you produce.

And my stock stivo is a **** load better than some bling bling ascent.

Time slips are posted, and the run was actually witnessed by a few members so BS it's not, Northy just know's how to drive alot better than you do.

S E A R C H

If you're here just to bag what people drive I think you're on the wrong forum, feel free to leave at any time.

State your opinion, Say that you prefer a 2zz and that you'd rather a Sportivo over a Levin, but don't p!ss on other people's cars, because people do things to their own individual tastes.

How do you know if northy can drive better than me?? WTF. I have been riding R1's, GSXR 1k's for 10 years on the road and track! I know what fast is and used to ride in the A groups at track days 5 years ago before I slowed down a bit. I can drive ok thanks.

Lets see them then. I still call BS. 15.1 is Clio Sport times, Golf GTI. BS BS BS.

I dont know whats going on, maybe mags test times different to they do a drag strip. If so I'm sorely dissapointed because I have been supporting the stivo on other forums quoting times from this board and near evertyone said stivo low 15's was BS. Maybe they were right, I really dont know now. 

Sorry buddy your the ***** and I would be happy to run your POS anytime. I really really doubt I would loose. At best your car is a low 16's car on the road, no matter what BS vids or other crap you  produce.

Chill bro. Please do not diss each other's car especially since they are both Corollas and we are in the Corolla section as well.

If they are opinions, please leave them as opinions and let's not judge each other's post.

If this bickering continues I will close this topic. Cheers guys.

Ok

Stivo - bargain performance car, fun to drive and different to most toyota which are unfortunately reliable but boring. Nice car to mod up and take to track days/drags.

Ascent - great car to get from A-B. Boring but reliable. Nothing more than a vanilla commuter/rentacar/companycar.

15.1 - I find this time impossible to believe seeing the best stivo on here has only done 14.8. BS.

Edited by Gumball

Sorry buddy your the ***** and I would be happy to run your POS anytime. I really really doubt I would loose. At best your car is a low 16's car on the road, no matter what BS vids or other crap you produce.

Ok to clear things up for you, so that you know.

Motoring Magazine acceleration tests are always conducted to a strict, consistent formula.

*They run with 2 people in the car (Driver and 1 passenger)

*They run 1/2 of fuel

*Their published times are a two way average, that is they run the car up the strip in one direction, then again in the other direction so the time is an average of the two runs.

So with that said, these times are a good real-world on the road simulations, BUT, not the actual best a car can actually do on the drag strip where you run a quarter tank and no passengers.

Now, as indicated by the drag slips posted on this site, Low to mid 15's have been achieved by STOCK sportivo's. The more heavily modded Sportivo's on this site have dipped into 14.8's (And then it's till only bolt on mods-nothing really extreme)

Slightly modded 1zz's have achieved mid-low 15's with Northy's still being the best at 15.1 With only CAI and muffler. Now that same car has a heavy duty clutch and lighter flywheel, I dare say it's now quicker still.

The times on this site are backed up by no BS time slips. If we do get beaten by other cars we're not ashamed to post it up. Have a read in past posts. Also another good indication of what the cars are capable of is the photo of the look from the driver on the Commodore SV8's face when being overtaking by Screaminrolla on the straight. Have a look in Screaminrolla's gallery.

Make sure you know what you're talking about before making yourself look silly. The reason why there's such a minimal difference in strip times between a Stock Sportivo and Modded one is simply the law of diminishing returns. When you reach a certain output in a certain car, unless your pumping huge power gains from your mods, they're not going to make much of a difference, because things like traction, suspension squat, aerodynamics etcetera then start to come into play.

Edited by IZZ-FE

Hey, Gumball. If you think the Sportivo is that GOOD, then please get a copy of the "Best Motoring International July - RB Japanese Muscle". Then you will know how would the professional rate the car. You will know what sort of Shopping Trolley the Sportivo is even it is a C-One project RUNX (Sportivo).

When you are laughing at the Ascent driver who mod their Ascent, the Integra DC2 Type R drivers are also laughing at you driving a "Lift'ed Shopping Trolley" simultaneously.

People modding their vehicles on their own interest and self satisfaction. None of your Business ~ :angry:

....I dont see what you're arguing about... the Sportivo has exactly the same POS suspension design as every other gay looking corolla ;) It's not a "sports" car by any means! :P

Thanks for explaining it.

Doh, I am going back to the assumption that my car is a 16.2 car, maybe a bit quicker due to the recall. The drag times on here mean nothing compared to wheels or motor times. Northy's accent time have proved it.

Im honestly a bit disappointed now. I read this forum and saw ppl saying stivo was a low 15's car so I bought it even though mags said 16.2.

Spose my stivo is just a commuter box as well! Not to worry I still have my bike for fun. Good car to do the shopping in.

Hey, Gumball. If you think the Sportivo is that GOOD, then please get a copy of the "Best Motoring International July - RB Japanese Muscle". Then you will know how would the professional rate the car. You will know what sort of Shopping Trolley the Sportivo is  even it is a C-One project RUNX (Sportivo).

What did they say? Lap times or Drap times?

Ok spose the stivo is a POS as well.

Edited by Gumball

well i think i have to take a stand for my fellow 1zz's. 1zz and the 2zz are very comparable before the 2zz hits lift, anyone who has driven both cars will know. it's only when the stivo hits lift then things get tipped heaps in the stivos favour. and as for that shopping trolley remark... for a shopping trolley it sure does plenty of our competition, if not all in our class. so please... stop this rolla on rolla crime :D

Thanks for explaining it.

Doh, I am going back to the assumption that my car is a 16.2 car, maybe a bit quicker due to the recall. The drag times on here mean nothing compared to wheels or motor times. Northy's accent time have proved it.

Im honestly a bit disappointed now. I read this forum and saw ppl saying stivo was a low 15's car so I bought it even though mags said 16.2.

Spose my stivo is just a commuter box as well! Not to worry I still have my bike for fun. Good car to do the shopping in.

Were you happy after the test drive?

Are you happy owning/driving it?

Do you really care what other people think or say about your car?

What you think is what's important. Your the one who has to be happy with your car. My older brother tried to talk me out of buying my Corolla for something more "blokey", now he keeps taking my keys...

But if you really want to see what your car can do, take it to the Drag Strip one day and try it yourself ( You're a bike rider so you already got the helmet ), you may surprise yourself.