Slow sportivo???? :(

Hey guys. I just had a quick search and can't find anything to help me out with my problem. So i took the corolla down the strip last night... the best time i could run was a 16.3 at 87mph... :( I have seen a few guys with intakes alone run high to mid 14 second passes. My car has the injen CAI and a 2.5' stainless mandrel bent cat back exhaust with high flow cat. So i was expecting to run atleast something towards a low 15 second pass. Obviously my car is down on power and im trying to work out why. The only thing i can think of is... with the injen CAI i was told to block off the hoses coming from what i think to be the charcoal canister (refer to photo). Is this correct??

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys

Ok guys so ive just checked out the thread on drag times and guys running a 2.5 second 60ft which isnt that quick are still running alot higher mph and alomst a second and a half quicker than what i can run. Even with a faster 60ft i still cant compare to any of the sportivos... even stock ones. Cleary it isnt driver related... something is wrong with my car. I NEED HELP PLZ GUYS!!!!

post-25925-0-59431700-1326332214_thumb.j

Edited by bluestivo

Hey guys. I just had a quick search and can't find anything to help me out with my problem. So i took the corolla down the strip last night... the best time i could run was a 16.3 at 87mph... :( I have seen a few guys with intakes alone run high to mid 14 second passes. My car has the injen CAI and a 2.5' stainless mandrel bent cat back exhaust with high flow cat. So i was expecting to run atleast something towards a low 15 second pass. Obviously my car is down on power and im trying to work out why. The only thing i can think of is... with the injen CAI i was told to block off the hoses coming from what i think to be the charcoal canister (refer to photo). Is this correct??

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated, cheers guys

Luke ;)

weight reduction, remove seats, door trims, etc..

The guys running 14 second passes have no weight reduction.... a CAI and exhaust is all.

just cuz they dont have weight reduction, doesnt mean you cant do it,

you can do an ecu reflash as well, or get a power FC,

+1 with trent :P

Wait what? Why touch the charcoal canister?

All you would of done was had to block the vacuum hose that controls the flap in the stock air box...

I thort thats what i did, the pic attached shows what i have blocked off>> cheers mate

I understand weight reduction and driver talent play an important role but what im trying to say is that my car is down on power. You can easily tell this by the mph reading at the strip. So what im trying to say is... the power problems im having is that to do with my intake i.e the charcoal canister (refer to pic) or is my problem elsewhere.. thankyou

Ive just checked out the thread on drag times and guys running a 2.5 second 60ft which isnt that quick are still running alot higher mph and alomst a second and a half quicker than what i can run. Even with a faster 60ft i still cant compare to any of the sportivos... even stock ones. Cleary it isnt driver related... something is wrong with my car. I NEED HELP PLZ GUYS!!!!

Also, could gearbox oil which is too thick slow my car down???

Cheers

Edited by bluestivo

The only vacuum pipe that needs to be blocked is the small nipple above the throttle body. It will be obstructed by two larger hoses. Not sure what you have doen with the charcol canister, but it doesn't need to be touched.

87mph isn't down by much, most would be seeing 91-93mph. Try an ECU reset as it can develop strange fuel trims over time. Also put it on a dyno and see what the curve looks like. Don't forget to check the spark plugs, compression, et cetera. Post a pic/scan of your time slip too.

u need to also block the other small hole that comes from the cai.

Ok so your talking about the nipple that comes out of the CAI underneath where the Air Flow Meter sits..

The only vacuum pipe that needs to be blocked is the small nipple above the throttle body. It will be obstructed by two larger hoses. Not sure what you have doen with the charcol canister, but it doesn't need to be touched.

87mph isn't down by much, most would be seeing 91-93mph. Try an ECU reset as it can develop strange fuel trims over time. Also put it on a dyno and see what the curve looks like. Don't forget to check the spark plugs, compression, et cetera. Post a pic/scan of your time slip too.

Ok thanks mate. To reset ECU do i just unplu battery terminals overnight??

• 2 weeks later...

When was the last oil and plug change? what filter is on the injen Cai? Is it clean?What are the specs of the catback system you have?? Far too many variables to blame any one thing but the fact that you are a lot slower and MPH is down indicates you arent making good power mid to top end which can mean either intake or exhaust side of things could be the issue as well.