Insurance companies

bigVAN

Hey guys ,

im starting to purchase all my gear and planning to install them .

but im sure it will affect my insurance policy hence the postponed installations .

so my question is which company are you all with ? and which is best for legal modications ?

( Im thinking to change to "just car" insurance )

I am with AAMI, who I changed over to when I bought my car. As with most dealerships, the one I used (Southside Toyota) had an affiliation with AAMI and offered a huge discount for signing up when I took delivery of the car. When it came time to renew 12 months later, the AAMI premium had risen (surprise, surprise) but was still on par with Suncorp, RACQ, etc.

In a minor car park dingle earlier this year (oops) they proved to be fine in dealing with the claim.

I have no mods. The thing I have always wondered about mods is, not so much getting insurance, as having a nitpicking assessor reject a claim down the track due to an assessment that the mods were illegal.

Edited by Martinj

When you have non factory extras installed, In most cases, the insurance company will increase the premium depending on what they are. In some cases, some insurance companies will refuse to insure you.

Let's say if you have purchased insurance without noting extras in the policy and an unfortunate incident occurs, you run into the potential risks of

• insurer declining your claim
  • do not replace the modified parts

From a repairer's point of view, I will not insure with either AAMI or Just Car (same company). You as the insured will not have a choice of repairer and your car will be put under the tendering process.

Yes the premium is cheaper but you get what you paid for.

Choose another insurer like Allianz, Shannon's, etc. Just to name a few...

Hope this helps

I've switch to Cole Insurance (two cars), the other car i have lowered springs (within legal limits and done BEFORE the new law in 2009 so i wouldn't think i need to provide engineering cert.) and 18"s (stock was 16s but the biggest offering on the same car was 18s - need to state on the placard) both Coles said it was fine and the mods are now on the insurance cert.

I think the general rule is, if it is within legal limits (for all States) and RTA approved the insurer should allow it but you need to tell them so they can put it on the policy..

As long as it's within the limits/legal and Australian Standards approved parts, AAMI will accept the mods. Like AK00FJ said above, if you have mods, you rather register your mods as if you were to have an accident *touch wood*, your claim would not be void.

If you're under 25, it might be worth while going to Just Car (which is still AAMI), but I've known people to say Shannons is the way to go in terms of mods and more hassle-free customer service relating to claims or repairs.

I feel they might be pricier than others. How much are they charging you?

There are online quotes you can get, check out a few other providers.

NRMA is pricey for comprehensive, so If you are currently paying under $1000 pa, then it's cheap for NRMA.

Their service is average, used to a lot better. Around 80% of my customers are still insured with them though.

I do recommend Allianz. Fast and reliable service.

Oh yeah, another note. If you do know a panel shop, sometime they have deals with certain insurance companies. Therefore cheaper insurance through repairers.

We have deals with AI Insurance - part of Hollard Insurance Group. Their comprehensive is usually around the $600 to $800 mark.

Hope this helps.

Good thing about NRMA is that you don't have to list mods at all, if it's legal then they automatically cover it with no premium increase, you just adjust your agreed value to suit

Good thing about NRMA is that you don't have to list mods at all, if it's legal then they automatically cover it with no premium increase, you just adjust your agreed value to suit

oh for real ??

thats awesome thenn !! i never knew that > > noob !!!

oh for real ??

Yep, same goes for their house/contents insurance - you don't have to list all the valuables in the house.

They implemented all that stuff when they went to their "keep it simple" style a year or so ago.

oh for real ??

Yep, same goes for their house/contents insurance - you don't have to list all the valuables in the house.

They implemented all that stuff when they went to their "keep it simple" style a year or so ago.

im such a noob !!

ok so as long as all my mods are legal i should be fine !

well thanks !!

Edited by simplyvandinh