All Good Things Must Come To An End...

Tofuboi

This probably isn't in the right place but eh. :P

Hey guys and girls. I know I haven't been on here much in the past year or so but a lot has gone on, anyway that's beside the point. I'm sure some of you remember me. :P

On Tuesday I said goodbye to my Aurora Gold Aurion Sportivo ZR6. At 130,000kms, the Aurion began to show multiple signs of wear, things started to go wrong fairly quickly at the same time. Driveshaft boots went, intermediate shaft spline worn, the gearbox decided it didn't like me much either.

It was a great car and i'll never forget all the fun it gave me, all the TOCAU cruises I went on and especially the first cruise I ever went on. The 2009 TOCAU Annual Meet in Melbourne was the Aurion's first real cruise and I had an absolute blast.

Anyway back to the problems, I got a quote to have everything fixed and to have the Aurion bought back to it's original glory, let's just say it was somewhere in the sub $8,000 to $10,000 mark. I simply couldn't afford to do that and I didn't want to run the Aurion into the ground. It didn't deserve it. Why everything decided to go so suddenly, I wouldn't know. It was serviced regularly and maintained pretty well. So I don't know. :( Since it didn't deserve to be left without repair. I opted for the next best thing for it.

Last Tuesday I traded it in for a 2008 Volkswagen Golf Mk5 GTI 5 Door. With mixed responses from people it was expected to be asked, "Why didn't you go for a Toyota again?" or "Why didn't you wait for the new 86?"

Simply, it was a matter of me wanting to change. I felt like something different. I also couldn't wait, I didn't want the Aurion to get to a worse point that it was already. If the 86 was out now, I may have considered it, but it wasn't...

Anyhow i'll still be around guys. I just won't be rolling in a Toyota anymore... Unless I take my Dad's Gen6 Altise on cruises. :P

Please don't hate me. :P

Farewell for now Nathan. I'm sure the GTI will keep you happy. A wise move one way or another. Was a pleasure knowing you on the forums here, since you were one of the earlier members I interacted with when I first joined.

It's sad to part with another Aurion, with a unique colour too. Hopefully the the Mk5 will give you the excitement like the Aurion. Very unfortunate with the state she's in.

Sad to see another Aurion leaving but all for understanding reasons. Has Toyota seen the car by any chance? They actually love to see cars like yours to see why things have failed and why at once, if they don’t know then they can’t fix and amend for the next generation or update :)

However, a quick visit to your local APR dealer and a remus exhaust will soon have that GTi on hell of a weapon. were also a VW dealer and the GTi's, R and Sirocco just make me laugh an bring a smile every time I drive one so i know your going to love it in no time. Be sure to keep us up to speed with updates! Did you get the manual or DSG?

Oh wow! I had no idea anyone actually responded. (I wish there was an option to receive notifications when people reply to the thread by default instead of having to manually set it for each thread you post on. Strange!)

Sad to see Tash's twin (in Aurion form) go.

Yeah Trent it's a bit of a sad story in regards to that. I think that was a real common ground to how Tash and I became mates too haha. :P (Not only that but yeah, they were called the Gold Cousins after all. heh.)

Farewell for now Nathan. I'm sure the GTI will keep you happy. A wise move one way or another. Was a pleasure knowing you on the forums here, since you were one of the earlier members I interacted with when I first joined.

Don't worry Daryl, I ain't going anywhere. I'll be sticking around for the most part, then again I haven't been hanging around much anyway. Too much life stuff getting in the way haha.

All the best Nathan :)

Thanks mate. :) I'll still be here so don't worry.

dont go... stick around like a bad smell like me. :P haha

congrats on the new car... needs exhaust, intake, tune asap! :P

Haha thanks mate. I ain't going anywhere anyway so all good. :)

It's sad to part with another Aurion, with a unique colour too. Hopefully the the Mk5 will give you the excitement like the Aurion. Very unfortunate with the state she's in.

Yeah when I took it in for the trade. The VW Dealership also owns the Toyota Dealership down the road. (Frankston VIC) and they were quite surprised to see an Aurora Gold come in for a valuation.

The Mk5 is quite awesome I must say. I am really enjoying it.

Sad to see another Aurion leaving but all for understanding reasons. Has Toyota seen the car by any chance? They actually love to see cars like yours to see why things have failed and why at once, if they don’t know then they can’t fix and amend for the next generation or update :)

However, a quick visit to your local APR dealer and a remus exhaust will soon have that GTi on hell of a weapon. were also a VW dealer and the GTi's, R and Sirocco just make me laugh an bring a smile every time I drive one so i know your going to love it in no time. Be sure to keep us up to speed with updates! Did you get the manual or DSG?

Yeah it was a sad day as I've said earlier. Toyota did see the car and they are aware of what needs doing to it as it was traded to a Toyota Dealership actually, they rang me back a few days after I took delivery of the GTI and told me while it had done quite a few kms, they couldn't immediately find any issues. Kinda surprised actually that they'd let me know but I guess they just thought i'd like to know haha.

I'll admit I have looked at APR's site and took note of the cost of the ECU tune haha. Tax time possibly. :P To be honest in terms of performance i'd say the GTI on a sub 30 degree day is on par with the Aurion. But if it's a cooler day, the GTI would start to pick up over it. :) Turbos don't like that heat. Also I got the DSG, just in time for the uber expensive 60,000km service too! Hooray. <_< >_> Hoo boy. :P All good though, I got that sorted.

-------------

Thanks for the words of support though guys, there was a couple of people who weren't particularly pleased about my purchase but I won't name names. But it seems the general consensus is good. :D You never know, it may go to the Annual. :P

Oh wow! I had no idea anyone actually responded. (I wish there was an option to receive notifications when people reply to the thread by default instead of having to manually set it for each thread you post on. Strange!)

Sad to see Tash's twin (in Aurion form) go.

Yeah Trent it's a bit of a sad story in regards to that. I think that was a real common ground to how Tash and I became mates too haha. :P (Not only that but yeah, they were called the Gold Cousins after all. heh.)

Don't worry Daryl, I ain't going anywhere. I'll be sticking around for the most part, then again I haven't been hanging around much anyway. Too much life stuff getting in the way haha.

All the best Nathan :)

Thanks mate. :) I'll still be here so don't worry.

dont go... stick around like a bad smell like me. :P haha

congrats on the new car... needs exhaust, intake, tune asap! :P

Haha thanks mate. I ain't going anywhere anyway so all good. :)

Yeah when I took it in for the trade. The VW Dealership also owns the Toyota Dealership down the road. (Frankston VIC) and they were quite surprised to see an Aurora Gold come in for a valuation.

The Mk5 is quite awesome I must say. I am really enjoying it.

Yeah it was a sad day as I've said earlier. Toyota did see the car and they are aware of what needs doing to it as it was traded to a Toyota Dealership actually, they rang me back a few days after I took delivery of the GTI and told me while it had done quite a few kms, they couldn't immediately find any issues. Kinda surprised actually that they'd let me know but I guess they just thought i'd like to know haha.

I'll admit I have looked at APR's site and took note of the cost of the ECU tune haha. Tax time possibly. :P To be honest in terms of performance i'd say the GTI on a sub 30 degree day is on par with the Aurion. But if it's a cooler day, the GTI would start to pick up over it. :) Turbos don't like that heat. Also I got the DSG, just in time for the uber expensive 60,000km service too! Hooray. <_< >_> Hoo boy. :P All good though, I got that sorted.

-------------

Thanks for the words of support though guys, there was a couple of people who weren't particularly pleased about my purchase but I won't name names. But it seems the general consensus is good. :D You never know, it may go to the Annual. :P

HAHA yes get the ECU remap and tax time. I had a half seriously looked at Golf R last year and they was doing the remap cheaper around tax time and that was for the 240kw upgrade. Yeah good effort DSG is the way to go especially since you have that pesky 60k service out of the way. Enjoy mate.

Where is the $8,000 to $10,000 estimation mark coming from? Is that because of the gearbox?

I am interested to see what makes up the bill for the car that has 130000KM..

because everyone of us might need to be ready for that bill

Where is the $8,000 to $10,000 estimation mark coming from? Is that because of the gearbox?

Basically it was the gearbox, my car while it was serviced and maintained regularly. It was driven pretty hard, pretty much every day it would get a full run on a mountain road near my place on the way home from work. Suspension, Steering, Drive-train, Gearbox all got a workout. While the dealership I always got the car serviced at said it was in great condition for what it did (a mate worked at this dealership so he knew the cars history), it was just bad luck for the gearbox to go when it did. Another member on TOCAU had a similar issue where he was quoted an exuberant amount of money to have his gearbox pretty much replaced. It's the same case with this car, while it was changing gears okay, it would slip often from 3rd to 4th, or 2nd to 3rd, depending on what the engine was doing at the time. So I can't say it won't happen to anyone else, but I can say the cars history may of had something to do with it.

HAHA yes get the ECU remap and tax time. I had a half seriously looked at Golf R last year and they was doing the remap cheaper around tax time and that was for the 240kw upgrade. Yeah good effort DSG is the way to go especially since you have that pesky 60k service out of the way. Enjoy mate.

I think you read wrong, or I wrote it wrong. It's almost due for said service, silly me didn't pick up on it at the time. It's not an issue as I expected high servicing costs. (I know the 60k is especially high due to the DSG service)

So that will be all good and get done soon, then tax time will come and we'll be looking at some stuff I reckon. :)

Congrats on the new car, better start saving for services and parts ;) awesome car, love a hot hatch....

Any pics of it yet ?

I do have some photos. I'll put one up here now just to show since I don't have much time right now. So here's one.

a_new_chapter_by_nathankino-d4mskya.jpg

Basically it was the gearbox, my car while it was serviced and maintained regularly. It was driven pretty hard, pretty much every day it would get a full run on a mountain road near my place on the way home from work. Suspension, Steering, Drive-train, Gearbox all got a workout. While the dealership I always got the car serviced at said it was in great condition for what it did (a mate worked at this dealership so he knew the cars history), it was just bad luck for the gearbox to go when it did. Another member on TOCAU had a similar issue where he was quoted an exuberant amount of money to have his gearbox pretty much replaced. It's the same case with this car, while it was changing gears okay, it would slip often from 3rd to 4th, or 2nd to 3rd, depending on what the engine was doing at the time. So I can't say it won't happen to anyone else, but I can say the cars history may of had something to do with it.

This was the very reason i fitted a Davies Craig (PWR) Transmission cooler to my car. Thought i better do something about looking after the Box on some of our brutal road trips lol

I think you read wrong, or I wrote it wrong. It's almost due for said service, silly me didn't pick up on it at the time. It's not an issue as I expected high servicing costs. (I know the 60k is especially high due to the DSG service)

So that will be all good and get done soon, then tax time will come and we'll be looking at some stuff I reckon. :)

Congrats on the new car, better start saving for services and parts ;) awesome car, love a hot hatch....

Any pics of it yet ?

I do have some photos. I'll put one up here now just to show since I don't have much time right now. So here's one.

a_new_chapter_by_nathankino-d4mskya.jpg

Yeah nah it was my bad, i read it wrong haha. AHH well you can't win them all mate. Just suck it up and pay the bill not much else you can do and then go for a blast through the mountains and you will of forgotton about it in no time haha

Ouch this will hurt, the DSG6 gearbox has dry clutch set up so there is no extra servicing.. say good bye to the 60k service lol

Yep... Going to be interesting lol.

Ouch this will hurt, the DSG6 gearbox has dry clutch set up so there is no extra servicing.. say good bye to the 60k service lol

Yep... Going to be interesting lol.

Yeah so i'm told owning a new current gen VW DSG will just be the same as a normal locked torque converter automatic in terms of matience?? lol