Cheap and affordable car buy advise.

Hi everyone!

As some of you might remember, my wife and I are moving to AUS in a couple of months, hopefully to Melbourne.

We know we are going to need mobility, so that's why I come to you.

I still don´t know the market, neither the models being sold over there. so can you give me some advice or pointers on which car would be a good starting point?

What I'm looking for is basically:

- Can be new or used

- Can be 3, 4 or 5 doors

- Any size

- Any make (at this point I can't be fussy)

- Cheap to buy and maintain

- Ready to be driven, this means I cant fix it by the moment.

- if possible, automatic (for my wife)

Then, after we are settled, I can start seaching for better cars till I get the one I want (Toyota of course :D ). But for now, I only need to go from A to B

What would you look for?

Thanks in advace guys!

Cheers

AB

our corolla zze122 ascents are cheap by now. reliable as well. there is an abundance in auto. other brands are the civic EG-EK (abit older). I have a nissan pulsar n15 thats just click over 200,000kms and everything is still going strong. by japanese, whatever the brand and you should be alright ;)

whats your budget?

Great, great, great!

Wonderful picture. I have to admit, I thought that for a low budget like that I would only get a Daewoo Tico type of car :unsure: . But possibly I could return to my beginnings ( my first Toyota was an AE101 Liftback that I loved!) so that will be a very good start.

Thanks for the tips!

I bet you are from Japan looking at your name. I guess 5000 is your budget. Corolla manual would be good

Actually, no :lol: ... Im from Argentina, exactly in the opposite side of the world where you are now. The name was for a comment from one of the girls that work with me and she speaks Japanese. It got kind of stiky and I use it now in all the forums as my nick name...

get a 2007 aurion ZR6. Good cheap car for under 20k.

Well, I'll like it very much, but I'm a couple of steps behind for now...

Thanks guys!

One more question, if you still dont have the licence, can you buy and register a car under your name? ( I have to revalidate my Argentinian Driving Licence in AU)

Cheers!

AB

Edited by Hikaru Sorano

• 2 weeks later...

FOR VALUE FOR MONEY, SPACE.COMFORT, DRIVING PLEASURE, PERFORMANCE, BOOT SPACE I WOULD LOOK AT THE AURION. HOW EVER IF DONT NEED SUCH A LARGE CAR GO WITH COROLLA. THINGS LIKE REGO ,SERVICES,FUEL, WOULD BE CHEAPER ON THE COROLLA.

FOR VALUE FOR MONEY, SPACE.COMFORT, DRIVING PLEASURE, PERFORMANCE, BOOT SPACE I WOULD LOOK AT THE AURION. HOW EVER IF DONT NEED SUCH A LARGE CAR GO WITH COROLLA. THINGS LIKE REGO ,SERVICES,FUEL, WOULD BE CHEAPER ON THE COROLLA.

I notice something with all your post. do you need CAPS? Are you deaf or something? Why not put size 20 font to stand out more. Did you read the post above you? $3-5k for budget and you say get an Aurion which is $12k+.

To answer your question. Get a used Corolla or Camry for $3-5k.

If you're interested, stop into Brisbane and you can buy my low kilometre 2000 Corolla ready to cruise to Melbourne ;)

Yes, I'd like to, but for now it's a little bit far from my budget. (Just a little 15k far...)

To answer your question. Get a used Corolla or Camry for $3-5k.

I'll start looking for a Corolla, no doubt. I hope I can find one in good shape (or two in good shape. One for my wife too).

If you're interested, stop into Brisbane and you can buy my low kilometre 2000 Corolla ready to cruise to Melbourne ;)

Could be yours! We don't know...

If at the time I start my search there is one in the club for sale, and I can buy it, it'll be kept in the TOCAU family :D

Cheers guys for the tips, Later on I'll throw you more questions about insurance, driver licences, being a P Plater, etc...

See ya around!

AB