Corolla Sportivo Oil Pressure light

Hi guys,

i Own an 04 Sportivo,

My Oil Pressure light seems to come on sometimes. Mainly if i drive a bit spiritatly in lift or if im cruising on the highway and put a bit of load on it. It doesnt come on all the tim. Sometimes it will stay on once it shows on the dash and other times it will come on and off.

Any ideas what this might be? I have tryed changing oil/ oil filter/ spark plugs with no luck. I will be tacking ti to a mechanic next week for them to look at it, but if there is anything else i can check in the mean time please let me know.

Thanks

while it may seem like a silly question, have you checked the oil level?

obviously an extremely low oil level can cause low pressure, but so can overfilling the engine (the crankshaft can 'whip' the oil to create lots of air bubbles which in turn lowers the pressure).

otherwise, i'd look into checking the VVT and VVTL oil control valve filters (see KenshinX's signature) and go from there. if all those are fine, in addition to the things you've already done, it could be the oil pressure sensor itself as already mentioned.

does the engine seem like its struggling or making clanking noises under load?

it could be just the oil pump sensor sh#t itself

Ok, so i attempted Kenshin x DIY VVT/ VVTL clean, i didnt get far though as one of the steel Hoses (whatever thats called) is in the way to take out the VVT valve. I wasn't confident enough to pull off the headers to get the pipe off. I didnt attempt to do the other VVTL valve as i figured no point if i can only do half. I will take the car to the mechanics and just let them sort it out. I will report back once its fixed.

that steel hose you're referring to it the egr pipe, and is ok to unbolt (just don't damage the gasket). you won't need to remove the intake manifold.

you can pull it back a bit (it's flexible to an extent) just enough to get the filter out. but it is very fiddly unless you have small hands (Duy, how long did it take you?? :P)

Edited by lateralus

ok so i took the Sportivo in to the mechanics today. Turns out its a faulty Oil pressure switch (sensor).

They tested the oil pressure in the car.

At Cold idle oil pressure was : 32PSI

cold at 3000RPM was : 70PSI

Warmed up idle was: 22PSI

and warmed up at 3000RPM was: 65 PSI

These numbers stayed consistant through out their tests with the oil pressure light being on or off.

I will be getting a new Oil Pressure switch even though it doesn't affect the way the car drives, i just hate seing the light come on the dash.

Only problem apparently this part is on backorder in Japan ( genuine toyota) and will take about 6 weeks to arrive.

lol anyone happen to know where i may be able to source one sooner?

• 2 weeks later...

You need to check that the wiring to your ecu is fine. Need a wiring diagram, and you want to check for high resistance, ie open circuit like a break, a short to ground (rubbing on the chassis) or short to voltage.. If that's all fine sounds like it could be a dud ecu..