E10 or Premium fuel for Camry

thSydney

As you may know NSW will be banned regular Unleaded petrol soon (July 2012).

I normally use regular unleaded (ULP) in my 99 Camry and thinking of E10 afterwards.

Do you guys reckon E10 for 99camry? or Premium?

I have a 1999 Camry V6 wagon, and I only use Shell V Power. I did the comparison of E10 with the other Shell Octane fuels when I owned a V6 Magna. The E10 had the worst fuel consumption, and overall cost that little bit more as you needed to fill up more often. This was done over a 6 months period.

I'm situated in the inner city suburb of Sydney so doing only short stop/start trips, and I do low mileage around 200 Ks in 17-21 days. I fill/top up on the cheap days and use the Coles Fuel docket (4 or 8 cents) if I have any.

• 2 months later...

apparently I still using Unleaded for my 99 Camry Auto Sedan(4cyl - 2.2L)

And I got 12.99 Liters/ 100 kilos in city and hwy combine driving. (with 90% of the time AC on)

Is my camry drinking too much fuel or Is my foot too heavy?

(notes: always 1 driver + 1 passenger ride)

Edited by thSydney

With E10 my fuel reading is between 12-12.5, with 95 RON it's between 10.3-10.6L/100km.

Edited by aem

Fuel consumption is pretty much irrelevant these days...

If you are really concerned about consumption - ride a push bike everywhere...

that being said there are many things that influence fuel economy and the quickness of people to blame the car irritates me... Driving tired, or stressed, how much of a lead foot you are, quality of the fuel (and not just the type i.e. 95RON, 98RON etc... but where you filled up, the brand and the quality of that particular delivery from the manufacturer), air con, highway vs. urban driving, auto vs manual... it's all relative... also bare in mind E10 fuel is nasty and cheap and because it contains 10% ethanol (which burns faster) then you are going to burn through your fuel faster and get worse fuel economy... I'll happily put E10 in the work car all day long but if anyone ever put E10 within 20cm of my fuel tank on my personal car I'd knock them the hell out... My advice - stop using E10 and put at least 95RON Premium in... you will get better milage, your car will run better and your fuel gauge won't drop as fast...

^

Not worth the extra dollars. You obviously need a higher octane fuel for the XR6T so that's different story.

As for ethanol blended fuels? I have used try United 100 octane which is ethanol blended but i got economy similar to Ultimate/VPower/Vortex98 but the best engine response of the lot.

The only reason i don't fill with it all the time is that they are a fair distance away. Need more United Fuel stations.

I think it's very relevant. No one likes their cars to thirst for fuel especially with the high fuel prices.

My next car will be a hybrid.

I think it's very relevant. No one likes their cars to thirst for fuel especially with the high fuel prices.

My next car will be a hybrid.

If it was very relevant, you would be taking more care on how you drive to conserve fuel. A car can be pretty fuel efficient if you take care of how you drive. My car for example can average 1-2l/100km less if I take care in the way I drive and exhibit more patience on the road. Instead, I choose to drive it how I do and use up more fuel in the process. It's not always about the car or the type of fuel.

I consider myself to drive like a granny but that's not the point. Fuel cost at the pump is what it is regardless of E10 or PULP. If over a fortnight a car consumes 30 bucks of fuel and another 100 bucks why would you think the first car isn't a better car (fuel economy wise) than the second?.

I consider myself to drive like a granny but that's not the point. Fuel cost at the pump is what it is regardless of E10 or PULP. If over a fortnight a car consumes 30 bucks of fuel and another 100 bucks why would you think the first car isn't a better car (fuel economy wise) than the second?.

'better' is a very subjective term. Lower fuel.consumption doesn't make it a better car. Nor does power output.

If someone buys a car purely based on fuel consumption, he/she has rocks for brains

But this is all subjective. You driving behaviour can affect the fuel consumption regardless of the car. A car with a smaller engine which is generally thought to be more fuel efficient may end up being driven harder in an attempt to perform greater than its economic range. Just downsizing an engine does not equate to better fuel consumption unless your driving style changes to suit. It may sound completely simple, but it does not always equate to this in practice. You have to consider how the car that consumes less fuel must be driven to achieve that better fuel consumption.

If you like to drive in a particular style (eg. keeping up with traffic as others accelerate from the lights, accelerating onto the highway at a particular rate, etc) if you downsize to a smaller more fuel efficient car, if your driving style is transferred across, you have defeated the purpose of the more fuel efficient car. What I'm basically getting at is that a more fuel efficient car can achieve the fuel efficiency at the expense of being slower overall, however the less fuel efficient car may be able to get the same efficient when driven slower than usual. The difference here is that one is harder to do than the other because one car (fuel efficient car) feels like you are driving it "normally" but the other one (less fuel efficient car) feel like you are being really cautious.

How about "better" for the wallet, or more to the point "better" for the wallet when you go to fuel up your car? Obviously I bought a Camry over a Corolla for a reason and that reason might be personal one but if fuel prices keep on going up and up to say 200c or more what then? In NSW there was a recent time with 98 going for around 190 cents+. No matter how you drive your car, it still consumes fuel and at the end of the day unless you're on good income you're gonna feel it. (Btw, i'm using Windows 8 CP and not sure why I cannot go down to new line to start a new paragraph so I just continue if you don't mind). Back on topic whether to use E10 or PULP to me i'd use PULP - 95 unless 98 is cheap. I have only used E10 once when the price was really really high.

• 3 months later...

i have a 98 Camry CSX i used to use normal unleded fuel i became short of money at one stage and started using E10 from either shell or caltex (as they are closest to me) started using E10 from a service and had to repllace fuel filter withing 2 months from using E10 fuel, i was not happy :( my mechanic told me that it was from using the E10 and not to use it again, my fuel filter was choc-a-block full of crap, ontop of the fact that it was costing me 2-3 times more money aswell instead of filling up once a week i was filling up 2-3 times and i had no change or driving distances, since that day i have never used E10 and dont plan on using it again, i will say though i do like using premium fuels the car runs smoother and the tanks lasts a good distance, so if no regular unleded then premium it is for me :)

Edited by laura1404