exhaust systems and p-plate restrictions

xCalibur_

I have been thinking about getting an xForce varex exhaust but I am not sure if i'm allowed to legally under the victorian p-plate restrictions.

So yeah, if anyone knows if can. And just while you're at it, i'd like to know other p-plate legal mods i can do.

Thanks people !

Just replacing the mufflers alone won't make a huge difference in noise level even with the butterfly valves open so it will easily be under the 89db limit.

But to be safe get it engineered to be legal.

This is mine with a cat back system, no resonator and the varex mufflers

Its illegal in the fact that P platers cannot have any modifications to make more power and also the varex is illegal on any car as it uses a manually controlled butterfly to cut noise emissions

i find that odd that a very popular exhaust is illegal on any car.

so i guess i'll have to wait til i'm off my p's :'(

Second that ^ ^

Watch almost to the end of video. Despite you being a P-plater, it's a risk evry1 has to take if you wanna get one of those sets.

wow, these laws are getting absolutely ridiculous. sooner or later factory modified cars will get defects !

so then what options do i have to make my car have a nice sound to it

Varex exhausts are illegal p plater or not. AFAIK aftermarket exhausts are legal under the p plate laws as long as they comply with the law limit of 90db. This is in NSW anyway.

Edited by Jacob12

I'm on my p's with an aurion and I know it is illegal to add power gains that make the car over 205kw (the new legal limit), if installed correctly and you don't have two 6" cannons you should be fine, maybe get the car dynoed before and after the mod to prove its less than 205kw atw?...

For me I'm going for a brake and handling package to gain speed and performance

I'm on my p's with an aurion and I know it is illegal to add power gains that make the car over 205kw (the new legal limit), if installed correctly and you don't have two 6" cannons you should be fine, maybe get the car dynoed before and after the mod to prove its less than 205kw atw?...

For me I'm going for a brake and handling package to gain speed and performance

205kw ? i'm pretty sure the aurion gets around 150-160kw at the wheels anyway. plus i dont think that 205kw limit is relevant for victorian p platers however i could be wrong

I was reading the laws for qld, which seem to parallel vic, it has been upped to 205kw to allow for the new commodore and the ecoboost falcon,

So yeah as long as you can get proof it's less than 205kw after the mods you'll be fine

• 1 month later...

unbolting the rear mufflers doesn't improve performance, and gives a nice natural note. under 90db.

If you just unbolt the rear mufflers and do nothing else, you are also making your car illegal because the exhaust is now venting under the car.