engine moving control rod.

nahrsuhsist

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get an answer for a slight fracture inside of the engine moving control rod. Basically when I accelerate theres a slight knocking sound probably similar to the spline sound some of you experience.

A long story short Peter Kittle's mechanic has pointed the fault being the engine control rod, and showed me the small fracture. Has anyone hit this little snag

before and how did you apprach the repair job. Obvioulsly I can pay Toyoyta the guestimated invoice of $240 for 2 hours labour, which seems quite steep! and I feel theres only 2 hours work for myself or 20 minutes for a professional. I have allready bought the part and waiting for it to arrive. Ignore the mirror on the attached invoice a cyclist thought it was a good idea to hit my mirror with his bike pump and escape down a lane, before i could drive over him :P i mean grab his ID to report...

Do they have to lift the engine out to install the rod? what's involved? I have attached the invoice.

Thanks for any comments,

Sarasate

toyotam.jpg

Location of the rod.

rodk.jpg

Edited by nahrsuhsist

thanks 450 HP for the reply, I was quit worried the engine needed to be lifted or supported because it's a solid rod possibly holding some of the weight. Plus the labor charges through me way off guard if it’s estimated at 2 hours what are they planing on doing?

Edited by nahrsuhsist

I just don't see where they could ever take 2 hours to do somethig as simple as that. If it was the rear engine mount on a V6 Honda Accord Euro maybe... Definately DIY.

Thanks guys I'll do it my self and buy something nice witht e $250 i saved :)

THANKS HEAPS!!!!!!!!!

The bad news is I just called Toyota and it's still going to be another month for the part! it's already been 1 months, that's kind of ridiculous,

:idea:

Edited by nahrsuhsist

Thanks guys I'll do it my self and buy something nice witht e $250 i saved :)

THANKS HEAPS!!!!!!!!!

The bad news is I just called Toyota and it's still going to be another month for the part! it's already been 1 months, that's kind of ridiculous,

:idea:

Get in there and speak to the manger and say its not on....

Had similar issue when i bought gen spoiler took the 2 months to get me the right one and still then i was missing parts >_>

Grill them with some stern words :P

Ill try mate,, My problem is I'm to nice and cannot speak to them like that, i always cop it on the chin :P

They said it's coming from japan and probably have to make a batch, the 2 hours labour is a ULTRA joke!!!!

Edited by nahrsuhsist

One other thing I have to consider is the engine mount rod for $124 is it the full rod in the illustration? or the rubber bush inside? which is the part with the crack. I really couldn't imaging the bush being $124? as it's not polyurethane.

that could be the most expensive rubber bush in the world for it's size lol

And still it's not going to take them two hours to press the bush out too. Toyota's invoices are very questionable!

Edited by nahrsuhsist

One other thing I have to consider is the engine mount rod for $124 is it the full rod in the illustration? or the rubber bush inside?

Interesting. I never actually looked at the part breakdown on that until now, but have a look at this:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_2007_TOYOTA_AURION_GSV40L-JETDKV_1107.html

di-0132851536313.png

I guess they don't have the rod with the bush, or even the bush on it's own. The full assembly matches the part number in your quote so I'd say they are going to change the whole thing. Maybe it might be another option to see if you can source a bush and just change that out if that's all that's cracked.

Oh cool thanks DJKOR!!

I had to suspect it being the full part for that $ the guy at Toyota said the rubber seal inside does have a life cycle. I shouldn't really have any issues replacing it my self I think. Originally I thought it held some of the engine weigh or slack. Questioning their labor charges in relation to the time they have pre invoiced made me think it's a BIG job.

A bit yeah lol The guy in spare parts seams like a real narcissist! And this is twice he cant find the invoice, my rego, and it all sounds like an effort to help! huffing and puffing on the phone, Since I ordered in Dec 11 and I can hear knocking coming from it I would of expected high priority

My fault I shouldn't of ordered from Australian Toyota I should of gone direct to USA or Japan.

A bit yeah lol The guy in spare parts seams like a real narcissist! And this is twice he cant find the invoice, my rego, and it all sounds like an effort to help! huffing and puffing on the phone, Since I ordered in Dec 11 and I can hear knocking coming from it I would of expected high priority

My fault I shouldn't of ordered from Australian Toyota I should of gone direct to USA or Japan.

take it up with the manager, if not state manager ? - Letters go a long way.

Example - Sidchrome tool chest i got for my 21st last year came damaged/disfunctional 3 times from Repco. Wrote a letter to Repco Aust, 3 weeks later i had a tool chest (next model up) and few extra tools on the house, also dropped their price by $200, all for the f |_| ck around they caused.

post-21214-0-84828700-1329305953_thumb.j

So intern write a letter, see what ya get out of it :)

That's a sweet tool set! Great minds think alike I already started the letter after my 2nd post, stating my dissatisfaction :P

P.S is the FT-86 Aussie built, a shame if it is.

Sourced a price from my x gf Kanako in Japan :P the Crowns are about $89,000!! AU :o :blink:

Looks like I'm getting an Evo 9 MR next year then :P Sorry Toyota boys :P Unless We decide to make a RWD TRD Aurion :toast:

• 2 weeks later...

P.S is the FT-86 Aussie built, a shame if it is.

No it isn't, but so what if it was? I think you need to get over your "Japan is awesome, Australia is crap" mentality, the most reliable car I have ever owned (and the one with the best build quality) was built in Altona. Sure Australia has made some dungers (usually with a Holden or Ford badge), but for the most part we have a reasonably high quality auto industry - I certainly wouldn't baulk at buying an Australian-made 86.

Japan is awesome, Australia is crap

ahem!! OK Okka Bill, if you think Australian build quality is finer than Japanese you haven’t been anywhere! How many Holden’s have different coloured front and rear bars, Ford, Holden’s, Toyota's s made in Australian gaps left, right of boot and bonnet unequal? Ummm all of them!! How many Holden employes weld the word F-U-C-K in the chassis 20% of them, Will we get fired if we tell the supervisor there a 3 mm gap either side of a SSV, or W420 on the line, Yes! why? to much work, and paper work. Trust me x Holden's employee for 13 years! Mitsubishi 4 years.

How many Austrlain built cars are downgraded in luxury even high end models? All of them!

How many Aussie built cars have dash rattles and cheap plastic crap? All of them!

How many Aussie Built cars have Large engines and Pissy brrakes!! All of them

Do you see a trend!

Now back on topic,

The rod will be easily put into place, before you do it, make sure you have the correct sockets the bolt nearest to the ABS is a bitch so use a high quality socket or she's-a-gonna snap mate! take you about 20 minutes. I would of thought this bush didn't have a life cycle, but it was made in Melbourne mate :P

Oh

86 is made in Japan for now, and has about 148KW and weighs in @ about 1250 so not a fast car, however the engine should sit a bit lower than WRX being RWD too.

Japan is awesome, Australia is crap

ahem!! OK Okka Bill, if you think Australian build quality is finer than Japanese you haven’t been anywhere! How many Holden’s have different coloured front and rear bars, Ford, Holden’s, Toyota's s made in Australian gaps left, right of boot and bonnet unequal? Ummm all of them!! How many Holden employes weld the word F-U-C-K in the chassis 20% of them, Will we get fired if we tell the supervisor there a 3 mm gap either side of a SSV, or W420 on the line, Yes! why? to much work, and paper work. Trust me x Holden's employee for 13 years! Mitsubishi 4 years.

How many Austrlain built cars are downgraded in luxury even high end models? All of them!

How many Aussie built cars have dash rattles and cheap plastic crap? All of them!

How many Aussie Built cars have Large engines and Pissy brrakes!! All of them

Do you see a trend!

Now back on topic,

Wow, congratulations on completely mis-reading my post and then blowing it way out of proportions. Sounds like you're a disgruntled ex-employee with an axe to grind with Holden and Mitsubishi.

Nowhere did I state that Australian was worse than Japan. I simply said that the previous poster needed to get out of his attitude of automatically assuming that everything that comes out of Australia is crap (an attitude that you seem to share). Yes, we do have some inconsistencies (the classic Monday/Friday car) but so do cars made just about anywhere in the world. Japan isn't this shining beacon of awesomeness, remember the scandal a few years ago in relation to Mitsubishi Fuso trucks in Japan when over 500,000 units were recalled and half a dozen executives were arrested for a litany of defect coverups spanning 10+ years? Wow, awesome.

Now, in relation to Australian-made quality, I have been a witness to the quality of 3 Australian-made cars in my life bought from new for a sum total of 43 years of ownership - a 1984 KE Laser GL (made in Homebush) and a 1996 Camry CSi and 1997 Corolla Conquest (both made in Altona) - the Camry my parents still own and the Corolla I own (the Laser was sold to make room for the Camry). Over those total 43 years I can probably count on one hand the list of problems that we've had. In particular, the Corolla has travelled almost 360,000k with EXEMPLARY quality - no rattles, no dash trim falling off (there are a few missing screws that I lost when I had to remove the whole lower dash to install a short-shifter), the body is still in good condition with no rust, good panel fitment, the dash hasn't faded and cracked like so many JDM models would have, the engine is completely un-opened, the car is still on it's original clutch, original brake rotors (that's right, quite competent 4-wheel disc brakes the same size as the JDM Levin sports models, so certainly not underbraked with an 85kw 1.8L engine), the stock pads lasted 280,000k, there are no oil, fluid or coolant leaks, it does burn a bit of oil like every other A-series engine but on the whole it has been an extremely reliable car. The Camry likewise - apart from the classic rear main seal developing a leak, it has been the epitome of reliable motoring, and has driven interstate and on country dirt roads a LOT (my parents are cross-country runners and venture into the forests a lot) for 300,000km.

As for your statements about the specs of Aus cars being low, that is ridiculous. Australia doesn't have the market to have extremely high-end models (Japan has a population 6-times that of Australia, and a high turnover rate of new cars because of registration costs so people always want the latest and greatest), but I would say that our specs are "generous", maybe not luxurious, but still decent (and definitely better than a lot of places in the world, the US for instance).

As you said though, this is getting off topic. Feel free to continue your ignorance via PM.