Transmission servicing

martyofmelb

Hi all,

Anyone got an informed view on the servicing requirements for the Aurion transmission and how difficult/expensive?

I have a late 2007 Aurion bought second hand from a Toyota dealer in 2010 (one of their staff cars) and runs great with 75k kms.

At the last service under warranty in 2010, the dealership was quite vague as to the requirements for replacing the transmission fluid with quotes like its a completely sealed system, doesnt require any servicing for life, 150k kms etc.

I couldn't see it in the book but I used to flush the trannie fluid on my old 94 magna every 12-18 months for $100 as an insurance policy.

I just don't trust the car makers especially if its not in their interest for trannies to keep going forever outside of warranty and can't imagine any technology maintaining the lubrication properties of a fluid (in snow occassionally) or preventing tansmission shavings for 300k kms?

Thanks.

Marty

I would do it every 100,000 Km to be on safe side, but do a complete flush and replacement...

Any one else had to do this yet ? as im also curious as to when it would be a service book date/time

Top up and level checking needs to be done at the correct temperature - dealers use there scan tool to monitor transmission fluid temperature. Don't try if you can't monitor.

93ad17a3.jpg

129ed9b9.jpg

aceca7ba.jpg

47a89741.jpg

The log book DOES state around the 100k mark (there abouts, can't remember exactly) to replace trans oil if under heavy operating conditions - which to me reads "you should bloody well replace it anyway"

The log book DOES state around the 100k mark (there abouts, can't remember exactly) to replace trans oil if under heavy operating conditions - which to me reads "you should bloody well replace it anyway"

I guess that also means my hoon driving - Flat stick haha

i suppose if its a concern you could take it too toy service and have them do it earlier?

They will prolly charge a stupid amount of money.

getting to be a bit of concern to me too, im starting to hear what i think is a slight tranny whine........

Jeez! I havn't done my yet too! i've done 115,000 k's I was reading the other day I think Scotty's thread his trans died aftere the service. and the trans oils was suppose to be sealed for life like 150,000 or more. It was a premature drain of oil that fried the trans.

Should I get this done? Toyota love exaderating labour charges. as per my invoices in an earlier thred regarding the engine rod.

• 10 months later...

Is there a reason not to take off the cooler lines to the radiator, stick the out line in a bucket and put the 'in' line in a 5 litre bottle of new fluid, run the car and keep an eye on the liquid, possibly let it suck up 2 x 5 litre bottles, that should replace the old fluid fairly thoroughly without taking stuff apart or paying toyota a million bucks???

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a reason not to take off the cooler lines to the radiator, stick the out line in a bucket and put the 'in' line in a 5 litre bottle of new fluid, run the car and keep an eye on the liquid, possibly let it suck up 2 x 5 litre bottles, that should replace the old fluid fairly thoroughly without taking stuff apart or paying toyota a million bucks???

Holy hell that sounds like a terrible idea.

• 1 month later...

My car has done close to 120 k with no probs. I don't believe its been done before ( I bought it at 90k). When they say "sealed for life", does this mean pull the gearbox out and rebuild it just to change fluid? Kinda concerns me as I'd prefer to change fluids as often as I can. I think of good, clean oils as cheap insurance. Why turn a 3 grand gearbox into a pile of scrap for want of $150 worth of oil? (When I say 3 grand, I'm only guessing, but add on costs for someone to put it in, not gonna be small change.)

• 4 months later...

this is an easy way to flush the oil that is used by many on their 1mzfe camrys,

anyone have a reason not to do it this way?

I got my 2007 at 88k and did the first change at 100k with just dropping what came out the drain into a measuring jug and putting that amount back in. It gets changed every 20k the same way. Its about 2.5L each time (had the top up with the previous owner) and now sits on about 216k with no problems. My car was a hire car for the first 25k of its life then went to country NSW (where it still lives) tows with the previous owner and with me. I flog it but service it often ;)

I got my 2007 at 88k and did the first change at 100k with just dropping what came out the drain into a measuring jug and putting that amount back in. It gets changed every 20k the same way. Its about 2.5L each time (had the top up with the previous owner) and now sits on about 216k with no problems. My car was a hire car for the first 25k of its life then went to country NSW (where it still lives) tows with the previous owner and with me. I flog it but service it often ;)

Thanks for the reply. Do you then refill via the 'refill plug' - shown in the post above with the service manual pic?

Yeah I've heard this isn't cheap. I know that WS oil has to be used and not T4 or Dexron 3. From what I understand as well, the WS oil is about $80 thereabouts for 4 litres. Not sure if you can get 1 litre bottles of the stuff. But on that note, I haven't seen an auto with WS oil fail because of failure to change its oil. If there is one out there, i'd imagine it would likely have 200,000+ on the clock. The stuff (in my opinion) goes for a while even when it goes dark.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez! I havn't done my yet too! i've done 115,000 k's I was reading the other day I think Scotty's thread his trans died aftere the service. and the trans oils was suppose to be sealed for life like 150,000 or more. It was a premature drain of oil that fried the trans.

Should I get this done? Toyota love exaderating labour charges. as per my invoices in an earlier thred regarding the engine rod.

I had mine done at 150K and at 210K main clutch bearing let go. The new trans has done 105K and apart from holding 3rd gear when cold it's going ok.

• 9 years later...
2 hours ago, Little Ernie said:

I have a 2011 Aurion Sportivo with 180,000 km, transmission still working great, no towbar.

will do it soon with the big service.

I would make that transmission service an urgent HIGH priority. In 2016, I bought my used 2006 Aurion ATX, it had approx. 160,000+ km on the odometer. I did a fair bit of internet research and discovered that the transmission will eventually fail if not serviced.

When I did the transmission service, I also removed the transmission pan which had a thick layer of "sediment" that you could draw in with your finger. In comparison, when I did the transmission service on my project 2008 Aurion with approx. 109,000 km odometer reading, the sediment layer was quite thin and easily wiped away. There are also magnets on the bottom of the transmission pan and a noticeable difference in the built up deposit on them.

There is a bit of a debate about whether the original Toyota transmission filter [referred to as a strainer in the parts catalogue] needs to be replaced. At the time, I did replace the transmission filter with an aftermarket one but fortunately I did retain the original part [hoarder instinct]. Planning upon refitting this original filter/strainer, eventually. For my project Aurion, I retained the original filter/strainer even though I have transmission kits on hand.

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

There is a bit of a debate about whether the original Toyota transmission filter [referred to as a strainer in the parts catalogue] needs to be replaced. At the time, I did replace the transmission filter with an aftermarket one but fortunately I did retain the original part [hoarder instinct]. Planning upon refitting this original filter/strainer, eventually. For my project Aurion, I retained the original filter/strainer even though I have transmission kits on hand.

I'm of the same mind on that Ash. I also "hoarded" my original strainer if you recall, but used the aftermarket filter from the service kit I purchased.
I wouldn't say the aftermarket filter is good quality as it's a pleated material and not a mesh substrate, so the pleats will eventually clog up if there is considerable material collected and reduce the fluid flow I think. Now I believe this is why the factory opted for the mesh style as the main offender in a transmission is metal right ?
So if these are collected by the magnets, the friction material off the bands will just circulate with the fluid and not cause any harm during normal operation and be dispensed with the next fluid change. The mesh filter will still allow a reasonable flow of fluid.

I would just give it a bath in brake cleaner then pour some transmission fluid through it prior to installing it. I think it should last the lifetime of the vehicle or if you're concerned about it, then just get a fresh new one from Toyota. Let it cost $40. At least you have the peace of mind knowing it's good and proper.

• Thanks 1