Kluger Remote Programming Instructions

jolt

These worked perfectly for me with two remotes I bought off eBay, despite the fact that it feels like you're doing the Chicken Dance with your car!

Please note there are no typo's here if an instruction is listed twice, then do it twice.

Toyota Kluger GSU4XR Reprogramming instructions:

1. Start with the key out of the ignition.
  2. Open the driver's door (all other doors are closed).
  3. Driver's door is unlocked (other doors don’t matter).
  4. Perform these steps within 5 seconds:

1. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it), then pull the key out.
    2. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it), then pull the key out.
    3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds:
      1. Close, then open the driver's door.
      2. Close, then open the driver's door.
      3. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it), then pull the key out.

[*]Perform these steps within 40 seconds:

1. Close, then open the driver's door.
  2. Close, then open the driver's door.
  3. Insert the key into the ignition and leave it in the ignition this time.
  4. Close the driver's door.
  5. Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without actually cranking the engine), then back to off.
  6. Remove the key from the ignition.

[*]Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into the programming mode.

[*]Return to Step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

[*]Perform these steps within 40 seconds:

1. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the new transmitter simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
  2. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds.
  3. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock then unlock once indicating the programming has been successfully completed.
  4. If the door locks cycle twice, then repeat Steps 9.1 to 9.3 as the remote was not accepted.

[*]Open driver's door.

You’re done!

• 2 months later...

What year is your Kluger? I have a 2012 Kluger and don't seem to be able to get the final step with the remote to work.

Thx. G

Am using a black master key - I suspect that while the after market remote I bought looks identical - toyota logo included - and is operating on the same frequency (434MHz) - it has a different chipset with different encryption or something. Frustrating as Toyota retail for the part is $700 in New Zealand.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is a very useful post. I bought a Kluger second hand. Only came with one remote. I bought another remote on ebay. Inserted new battery.

Followed the instructions above (several times). Seems I am doing it right as I get the door locks cycling twice to indicate programming mode. But then despite pressing lock/unlock and then lock on the new remote, nothing happens. There is not acknowledgment by the car locks (not one or two).

So

seems I am entering programming mode but then nothing.

the existing remote works find with the car - lock, unlock, rear window open, etc... So can't be the onboard receiver or fuses.

Any help appreciated. (Kluger KX-S 2009)

Edited by alect71

• 3 months later...

SO having taken the fox to toyota for programming they couldn't do it either - seems I was sold a dud.

Now I found a new one - and the seller being a good samaritan tells me they have had australians buy previously and it didn't work so she doesn't want to sell it to me if that's the case. The problem previously was that Australian fobs need to be 434Mhz whereas the ones for sale are 315Mhz.

Does anyone know what frequency the Australian remote fobs are? Are they 434 Mhz or 315 Mhz?

• 9 months later...

Hello to all the members. I am a new member.

I have a second hand 2004 Kluger and bought it from Castle Hill Toyota. 

The keys don't have the central lock/unlock buttons on it. It is only the transponder key and they are not the originals.

One of my keys has been broken and I decided to buy a new key from ebay with the remote on it. It is inconvenient without the remote.

Depending on the previous posts I am wondering is it possible to program both of the remote and ignition key?

Are the procedures for programming the central locking system and programming the ignition the same?

It will be very helpful for me if someone help me.

• 4 years later...
On 7/27/2015 at 8:30 PM, alect71 said:

SO having taken the fox to toyota for programming they couldn't do it either - seems I was sold a dud.

Now I found a new one - and the seller being a good samaritan tells me they have had australians buy previously and it didn't work so she doesn't want to sell it to me if that's the case. The problem previously was that Australian fobs need to be 434Mhz whereas the ones for sale are 315Mhz.

Does anyone know what frequency the Australian remote fobs are? Are they 434 Mhz or 315 Mhz?

On 7/27/2015 at 8:30 PM, alect71 said:

I have bought secondhand 2010 kluge 

it seems like I can get to enter the programming mode but then holding the lock and unlocks together and following steps. 
I find that my transponders are not getting programmed at all

I guess the issue may be with the receiver at car. Does anyone one know how to navigate this issue 

I received 2 keys from seller both have a similar issue.

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2015 at 3:44 PM, alect71 said:

This is a very useful post. I bought a Kluger second hand. Only came with one remote. I bought another remote on ebay. Inserted new battery.

Followed the instructions above (several times). Seems I am doing it right as I get the door locks cycling twice to indicate programming mode. But then despite pressing lock/unlock and then lock on the new remote, nothing happens. There is not acknowledgment by the car locks (not one or two).

So

seems I am entering programming mode but then nothing.

the existing remote works find with the car - lock, unlock, rear window open, etc... So can't be the onboard receiver or fuses.

Any help appreciated. (Kluger KX-S 2009)

First your keyfob must be 434MHZ

if your key fob to is not working with the instructions above take key to the car key person in your local shop ask for them to be tested if all is well pull out the battery leave it out for at least 15 minute then put the battery back in  hold the big door and little back window button on for 90 secs to clear it of any miss read codes or old codes and re attempt the instructions above !

I know the issues you guys have been having if you have your owners manual it should have a metel tag attached to the plastic sleeve and in the book it will be typed /written or be a sticker with the code on it !

if you do Have one or all of these your lucky because you can write the numbers on something and take it to a key coding / key repair person or the key 🔑 guy at your local shopping centre/ mall if you don’t have them or trust the book you can also use the vin and rego number with Toyota they will also ask for the code on the sticker under your hood and or the one on the door and they will have the code in their data base ..

take your new 434 MHz key fob and key that starts the car with the key and codes to your programming person cutting abs repair person in your local shop ask him/her to test the key and then give him the code ! Also ask if it is 434 MHz as his code reader should tell him and also if the battery is good or not for your kluger kx-s

or call a key programmer / repairer in you local area from google he might want to connect his hand help programming computer to your vehicles plug access point under you glove box or the other one underneath your steering wheel - BE AWARE IF AUTO ELECTRICIANS THEY CHARGE UPTO $3500 for this service and they will often reset your computer and try sell you a car battery !

toyota charge too much as well aftermarket is fine as long as it is ..434 mghz 

Edited by Mr key n codes
Made a important error fixed it ASAP