Rear muffler and 2.5" exhaust

Hi All,

I'm needing some advice for a performance exhaust.

At this stage I think I want a 2.5" cat back with a magnaflow resonator after the cat in the mid section.

But after this I’m not sure??? After the rear Axel the stock exhaust makes a 90 degree turn enters the rear muffler (travels across the width of the car) then makes another 90 degree turn and exits the rear of the car on the left hand side.

This to me seems to be restrictive design. Would it be better to go over the rear axel and straight out on the right hand side of the car??

I think this would keep a higher exhaust flow velocity to counter the step up from 2.25" to 2.5" as we all know velocity is key with N/A cars

I see some of you on the forum have your rear muffler exiting straight out on the right hand side, would you care to explain why and what rear muffler you used to do it as it will need to be a fairly short one.

Many Thanks

Edited by Reliable

There has been so many threads on exhausts actually one very resent if you will scroll down the page.. Search it up. Standard cat is high flow as is, I had to replace mine cause the centre plate on the down pipe from extractors to cat broke and blew through the cat makin it rattle..

Yes I'm keeping the stock cat as it is good enough already.

I have done many search's in regards to exhausts but no where could I find a answer to my question about the axle back section of the exhaust.

It makes sence I could not find the answer I was looking for, I did not realise your stock sportivos exited on the right hand side.

Here in NZ all our 2zz are Japan imports. And the exhaust comes over the axel on the right hand side makes a 90 degree turn into the rear muffler and then another 90 degree turn out the rear of the car on the left hand side.

Does anyone have a rear muffler they can recommend that is a perfect fit for exiting on the right hand side?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I'm keeping the stock cat as it is good enough already.

I have done many search's in regards to exhausts but no where could I find a answer to my question about the axle back section of the exhaust.

It makes sence I could not find the answer I was looking for, I did not realise your stock sportivos exited on the right hand side.

Here in NZ all our 2zz are Japan imports. And the exhaust comes over the axel on the right hand side makes a 90 degree turn into the rear muffler and then another 90 degree turn out the rear of the car on the left hand side.

Does anyone have a rear muffler they can recommend that is a perfect fit for exiting on the right hand side?

I live in Barbados and we too have JDM imports. I have bought an oval exhaust which I would prefer to install on the right. The main obstruction is the tow hook. It seems it will have to be cut off for a muffler to fit there properly. Apart from that you can install a cannon style muffler at a ridiculous angle out to the right or run some car-width piping over to the left and install your after market exhaust/muffler. Let me know how it goes if you do an install. I cant find pics of the JDM model exhaust installs anywhere.

Your exits on the LHS due to the fact that the Australian models have a full size spare and the JDM models have a space saver. You have more room to go across the back of the car due to the shallower spare wheel well. Ours go over the torsion beam and exit straight on the rhs of the car as we have a bigger spare wheel well in the boot floor.

Yup, the tow hook is welded on and our JDM models have a space saver doughnut that cant even fit over the stock front brakes. A flat up front means you always have to put a rear wheel up front and the little spare at the back. Quite a pain.

Removed my hook and got my exhaust installed on the right. Pics soon.

oooh excited to see, many thanks.

p.s. I would always put the space saver on the back only anyway.

• 2 weeks later...