Knocking/Rubbing Noise from Driver's Side

Hello there,

Just recently I've been starting to hear a knocking/rubbing noise from the driver's side of my Corolla 96.

Strange thing is I only hear it when:

- Pulling off and coming to stop at traffic lights

- When I'm doing 10-40 kmph (slow speeds)

- When my wheels are straight (don't hear it when I'm turning)

I didn't worry about it till now because I normally have the stereo on in the car and hear it ocassionally. But just yesterday for a change I drove with everything turned off (A/C, stereo, windows down etc..) just to see if I can pin-point this noise and I heard it more than I used to.

I suspect it's my mud guard on my driver's side as it's quite loose and wobbly. I jacked the car up this afternoon and checked to see if it was the guard... there's an empty scrivet hole but there's no other panel for it to clip onto on the other side? hmmm.. Still keeping hopes that it's the guard.

I'm thinking of taking the whole guard off tomorrow and going for a test run.

If you could throw your suggestions this way that would be great too ;)

Thanks again,

Camrolla

Hey man, had the same problem with my sportivo. For mine it was two problems, due to the fact i hit a gutter at a very fast speed. The shock was damaged, but the main problem that cause the knocking was the link bar connecting the shock and the lower control arm. See if thats loose and if it is tighten it and it should stop the knocking.

Sportivo Lover

Hey man, had the same problem with my sportivo. For mine it was two problems, due to the fact i hit a gutter at a very fast speed. The shock was damaged, but the main problem that cause the knocking was the link bar connecting the shock and the lower control arm. See if thats loose and if it is tighten it and it should stop the knocking.

Sportivo Lover

I figured that I should see if everything was tight today but never not around to it. Thanks for reminding me :)

Thanks for your help. Will keep you posted

Regards,

Camrolla

Edited by camrolla

Sportivo Lover

I figured that I should see if everything was tight today but never not around to it. Thanks for reminding me :)

Thanks for your help. Will keep you posted

Regards,

Camrolla

The shock bolts the the hub assembly

That rod, is the sway bar link rod, which goes from the shock to the sway bar..

Hey man, had the same problem with my sportivo. For mine it was two problems, due to the fact i hit a gutter at a very fast speed. The shock was damaged, but the main problem that cause the knocking was the link bar connecting the shock and the lower control arm. See if thats loose and if it is tighten it and it should stop the knocking. Sportivo Lover
Thanks for the reply. Tightened it. Still no improvement... I suspect that it's my drive shaft. Did about 100kms on the highway yesterday and it gets louder as its very hot... noise comes when slowing down below 40kmph...

Thanks

Camrolla

Thinking of replacing the driveshaft. I know for sure that it's either an inner or outer CV joint just can't pinpoint which exactly.

Are there any fancy tools required when replacing the driveshaft? I've a few methods in mind just if someone could tell me how perhaps they'd go about doing it?

Thanks a lot

Camrolla

Edited by camrolla

Here's some tips

When hitting the driveshaft out of the hub, if the thread of the shaft goes to the very end keep the nut on the shaft near the end so u hit the nut not the shaft cause if you damage the thread good luck

Also use a pry bar to pry it out of the box also have a container under the gearbox to catch the fluid

Also when putting it in, don't damage the drive shaft seal in the box

Wear gloves

And have a beer

Here's some tips

When hitting the driveshaft out of the hub, if the thread of the shaft goes to the very end keep the nut on the shaft near the end so u hit the nut not the shaft cause if you damage the thread good luck

Also use a pry bar to pry it out of the box also have a container under the gearbox to catch the fluid

Also when putting it in, don't damage the drive shaft seal in the box

Wear gloves

And have a beer

Thanks for the reply.

Is it just the lower control arm that I have to pry and detach from the hub in order to make the hub sway left right freely?

Thanks again

Camrolla

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No

Undo the steering tie rod end and the 2 bolts that go through the shock & hub.

Leave the hub on the lower control arm

Undo the above mentioned will give u enough room..

Edited by 123R-Prozak

No

Undo the steering tie rod end and the 2 bolts that go through the shock & hub.

Leave the hub on the lower control arm

Undo the above mentioned will give u enough room..

Thanks for your reply. For some reason I can't send you private messages... never mind anyway

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

http://rinconrolla98...olla-93-97.html

and this:

http://www.diymytoyo...ace-driveshaft/

What do you think?

Thanks again

Camrolla

Edited by camrolla