trouble starting my 07 Aurion

FONGSTA

hi guys

when I 1st drove an aurion back in 09 it was a rental and I really liked it so last year when i needed a new car i thought why not get an Aurion :) its been about 5-6 months now since my purchase of my 07 Toyota Aurion and sometimes I have trouble starting it up on the 1st go which worries me, I didnt have this problem with the rental at the time (had the rental for nearly 2 months) nor any other toyota's I have previously owned. The car has low km's when i bought it, it just ticked over 16000km's when purchased right now its on about 28xxxkm's. Now being part of a family that all own toyota/lexus of some sort over time i find this highly unusual a quality toyota product like an aurion has trouble starting on the 1st go. It doesnt happen all the time just once every now and then. I've tried a few things like changing the spark plugs and added a fuel injector clean once into the fuel tank when I filled up but I still have this problem. Considering changing the battery soon aswell it has been changed before it still has a price sticker on it dating back in 2008 that may be coming close to its death and that might be contributing to this issue I have by not having enough crank charge to kick it over.

What do you guys think???

Anyone else experienced this problem???

Never had this issue mate in 110,000 k's I have utilised the same battery since 0 and she start instantly, and drove her to QLD, NSW, and never missed a start up.

Theres another post recently regarding the same symptoms, I would be inclined to think the alternator may be playing up, because the battery in the car should be good to 120,000 at best, spark plugs (Denso FK20R11) good for 150,000. I personally and IMO!! would never add additives to the oil or petrol, such as Injector cleaner. Take her to a good Auto electrician and they can plug her into the System and do a full diagnostic on the spot and find the problemo.

Saying this I've hired a few Aurion in my day, My inner child comes out in rentals!!, deliberate rev limit for minutes and FW burnouts :P returned a few barely working too :P bahhahahaha , I hope you didn't buy my ex rentals :(

Edited by challengethemasters

Never had this issue mate in 110,000 k's I have utilised the same battery since 0 and she start instantly, and drove her to QLD, NSW, and never missed a start up.

Theres another post recently regarding the same symptoms, I would be inclined to think the alternator may be playing up, because the battery in the car should be good to 120,000 at best, spark plugs (Denso FK20R11) good for 150,000. I personally and IMO!! would never add additives to the oil or petrol, such as Injector cleaner. Take her to a good Auto electrician and they can plug her into the System and do a full diagnostic on the spot and find the problemo.

Saying this I've hired a few Aurion in my day, My inner child comes out in rentals!!, deliberate rev limit for minutes and FW burnouts :P returned a few barely working too :P bahhahahaha , I hope you didn't buy my ex rentals :(

hahahahah all rentals bring out the inner child in all of us :P and no I didnt buy an ex rental I bought it off an old man he bought it brand new and the RTA said he is no longer fit to drive the poor guy and I bought his car :)

my aurion sometimes cranks and doesn't start.... i found holding down the start button helped..... must crank the engine a little loner? lol i duno but it has been good lately. My battery was changed at 40,000km

my aurion sometimes cranks and doesn't start.... i found holding down the start button helped..... must crank the engine a little loner? lol i duno but it has been good lately. My battery was changed at 40,000km

yeah sometimes i hold the key aswell to get it going but usually on the 2nd crank it gets going straight away

When was the last time you changed the intank fuel filter, I also experienced this problem, replaced the filter, problem solved. It was very black!

i havent had it changed yet that was also a possibility i was thinking of

my bet.. the one way valve in the pump is bleeding fuel pressure off over time, so when the car is cold / hasnt run for a while, the pump needs time to build rail pressure.

to test this theory, turn the key on and leave on for 5 seconds before starting. Give sthe pump time to prime before engine firing.

Does this make a difference? If so, its not a big deal, you can work around it, but may point to a fuel pump failure in the future..

yeah sometimes i hold the key aswell to get it going but usually on the 2nd crank it gets going straight away

Same FONGSTA, '07 with 67,000km... lol we both must have the SSG(EG) model as well! The "Starts Second Go, Every Go!" kind...

Well, it actually will start on the first crank from a long rest in maybe 1 of 4 or 5 times. When it doesn't the first 4-6 sec crank frequently will just about make it, with a successful pop or two of life, then it will lose that kick and begin sounding like it's trying all over again, and cranking for it a few seconds after that doesn't increase success....

But before that even happens, you've just gone for attempt No.2. coz it's easier. A third crank is never needed; the engine always catches on that second shot.

my bet.. the one way valve in the pump is bleeding fuel pressure off over time, so when the car is cold / hasnt run for a while, the pump needs time to build rail pressure. to test this theory, turn the key on and leave on for 5 seconds before starting. Give sthe pump time to prime before engine firing. Does this make a difference? If so, its not a big deal, you can work around it, but may point to a fuel pump failure in the future..

cruiseh, damn, could be that too. Cheers, I'll try that as well and take note.

I have left the ignition ON at least twice on purpose to test your reasoning - and no doubt I've probably done it many times unintentionally as well but I don't remember how long it rested at those times - but all I can say is that it's not something I recall as being successful in the past. As we'd all agree, that sort of thing would let us fulfil our need to drive an Aurion for just that little extra longer! :toast: lol

e: tone was wrong

Edited by Johnny Mash

+1 for the battery, mine used to sound like it was choking when i cranked it. I sourced a battery and found that was the issue

+1 for battery, mind use to take 2nd time to start, once replaced battery, start first go every time.

Car 6 years old this November, changed battery 6 months ago, only 56,400 kms on clock.

Might think about changing the fuel filter.

Edited by Aurion ZR6

I was planning on changing the battery anyway to handle the bigger sound system I have planned so I may do that soon and if that fails ill get my mechanic to change my fuel filter :)