75 Toyota Stout 5R Parts Interchangeability

PA_MAN

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone out there has a parts interchangeability list or even know of a few they can help me with.

I gather there is some interchangeability with early Land Cruisers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey PA-MAN,I dont know if I am any help to you but my cousin has a stout,I think his one is around the 1967 vintage.Going by yours you have the big wheel model.Any way his one is far from stock as he has owned the bloody thing for like 30 years or more.He ditched the old 12r motor (I think that was the size ) 4 speed on the tree.Its now running a late model 3Y unleaded on LPG,extractors, 5speed, 14x7 &14x8 12 slotters.He and his wife use it to travell all over the East Coast towing a 16ft pop top.It is so much of an eye opener having this thing come up behind you and overtaking you on an up hill pulling a friggin van :blink: .I know in the early days he replaced the diff centre as the original ratio had it screaming its tits off at 80km/h,he found the centre out of a hiace had the correct size side gears to take the original axle spline,sorry I cant be of anymore assistance as thats all I can really remember as they are now living up around Cairns and we dont see all that much of them,

Cheers CONROD

what is it you would like to know, i have a 1962 toyopet stout on a 1974 toyota stout chassis and a 1976 toyota stout.

brake shoes and brake master and slaves are the same as 40-45 series cruisers, the diff centre is ment to be the same as the stouts, as there ratios were sought after for rock crawling, so the cruiser 4.1:1 suposedly bolt in "diff locks" to replace the stouts 6.1:11 diff ratio.

the two downfalls of the stouts are the location of the handbrake as it is on the gearbox and not on the rear axle and state laws might mean that a gearbox swap is limited because of such. the other is the limited room in the engine bay that is even more restrictive in the full stouts due to the location of the steering box and the steering column makes V engines challenging with exhaust manifolds.

i read however monday that as a sales pitch toyota stated that the stouts engines with regular service Guarantee 300,000 miles

Thanks CONROD, I know what you mean about screaming its head off, when the speedo only has 120kmh max on it.

But any and all information is gratefully accepted as it all helps in making my own equivalents list.

Thanks whysmee2, fortunately I am keeping it original but it was the first thing I noticed the for such a big ute there wasn't a lot

of room in the engine bay, even compared to the Bellett ute (wasp) of which there is one with a Commodore V6 crammed in it.

I appreciate all the info on equivalents .

When I have compiled a reasonable list I will post it, hopefully it may be useful!

the 5R was at it's most economical speed @ 80km/h and peak HP @ 95km/h some fitted five speeds out of later model toyoace's, coasters and dyna but it put the engine out of wack and most i have heard about simple state not to waste the time doing so.

pending your planned use but larger tires such as cruisers 750 16" or 31X10.5R15 can help

Wow I may leave it the way it is as all the running around will be city based, Its good to know the best economy and Hp speeds.

I will be curious to see what the economy is like as its one heavy vehicle.

The friend that bought it back said he noticed the difference in weight from most of the other cars he has picked up.

and after picking up the spare door....WOW she is one sold vehicle.

16" wheels is deffinately on the cards and at the most a diff change.

I got a spare diff with is so I can start playing!