Collectors: TOCAU Edition

Hiro

Obviously we are all here because of our common passion of Toyotas, and some of us even take it to the next level and actively _collect_ cars, but what I'm interested in are those other little curiosities in our lives - what little knick-knack can you just not pass up in the antique shop, store or tip? What takes up a whole bookshelf relegating actual books to a box in the dusty corner or the garage? What takes pride-of-place on your entertainment unit instead of CDs or DVDs? That's right, it's Collectors - TOCAU edition.

For me, I've never been a big hobbyist or collector, mainly dabbling in little things here and there like model cars, Lego (although that did grow quite large, but pretty much stopped when I turned 12). However, slowly but surely over my adult years I began collecting a range of beer glassware. I wouldn't normally go out of my way for it, but every so often there'd be a special at the bottle-o or a limited-edition pack would come out, and I'd add another mug or glass to the cupboard. Eventually, it got to the point where I have a glass for pretty much all the main beers I drink, so it gives me that little warm feeling inside to be drinking a particular beer from it's branded glass, especially in the case of a lot of European wheat beers and Trappist ales where the shape of the glass is a design feature to compliment the beer, rather than just hold it.

So as I was cleaning the kitchen today, I decided to take a snapshot of my collection (and clean out a few of the dusty ones). Bit hard to see the labels and such (I just used my phone) though.

2012-04-08150522.jpg

From L to R, roughly grouped:

Trappist chalice - La Trappe, Leffe, Chimay

Seidel - Lowenbrau x2, Bitburger

Wheat bear tumbler - Hoegaarden x2 (1 small, 1 large)

Pilsner - Becks

Tulip - Murrays, Grolsch

Pint mug - a few un-branded and trophy mugs + Kronenbourg

Schooner - Newcastle Brown

Maßkrug/seidel - DAB, Paulaner, Uni of Newcastle Becks Oktoberfest 0.5L

Vanuatu Tusker pint mug + pilsner

Weizen glass - Weihenstephan, Erdinger, Schofferhofer

2012-04-08151102.jpg

And their forlorn resting place in the cupboard behind closed doors - no real room for any more, so we're on the lookout for a bar of some kind to get them out of the cupboard with the rest of the grog and into a proper home.

So, what do you collect?

I also use the non-branded mugs for making cappucinos :D Nothing like half a litre of coffee to wake you up on the weekend.

I hate you :P

Nothing like some proper glass ware for some proper brews :)

You're welcome to come round and share one if you're ever in the area.

Ian my wife loves glasses too There's no theme to them just any shape she likes she buys , throw in budda's and cats and nearly everyshelf in the house is cramb packed.

Good to see you love your beer mate, what better way to drink it too :D

John i love the Di Casts! i tried to collect them and prob had about 20 at one stage, were my pride and joys too. Tried to find an Aurion @ parklea markets on saturday ,no luck :(

Apart from my Car modding and incredibly and sadly expensive hifi speaker obsession i collect old HP computer cases and in my true tradition they dont stay standard for long.

Prob the best thing about this hobby is online community, it's is prolly one of the largest tight nit and supporting i have ever been involved with.

They start like this,

DSC00.jpg

and end up like these,

FLAMEDDualshot.jpg

PIC7.jpg

PIC11.jpg

PIC12.jpg

PIC13.jpg

HPR2PIC2.jpg

HPR2PIC9.jpg

5.jpg

14.jpg

1-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Defyant, mate those cases look awesome!

As for my collections, I have 2 loves that I'll never own enough of...

1. Stubbie holders. Whenever I go on holiday I try and get some souveneir stubby holders of places I've been. Small towns, tourist attractions, cool shops, just that I've enjoyed on my trip. Rellies have jumped on the bandwagon too and started buying me ones they think I'll like, funny ones, brands, sport teams, etc. They take pride of place atop my grog cabinet, along with other grog related collectables - souveneir wine/shot glasses, a Stones Original ceramic decanter, etc.

2. Vinyl records. It all came from my DJing. It started with dance records, mostly hard tech and trance stuff that I couldn't get from DJ mp3 stores. Then I started buying a lot of new hard stuff because at the time I could buy the vinyl a couple months earlier than the download. I inherited my folks old vinyl collections from their teenage years when I started playing weddings, and so now I just buy anything. I don't really trawl for classics or rarities or whatever. If I see anything at a market or garage sale that could have some old gems or wedding favourites on it I'll grab it. At 50c for an LP, its a buttload cheaper than iTunes, and half that old 70s and 80s stuff isn't on there anyway, or you just never think of it until it pops up on a record. I have thrown some big dollars at some hard dance whitelabels in the past though - on a few occasions I've forked out over $50 for a record with just 1 song on it, because I freaking loved those tunes and they're hard as hell to get hold of! I don't think I'll stop buying records till the wall in my studio looks like this...

ian-record-wall.jpg

(Disclaimer: That's neither me nor my house. I just found it on Google.)

(Edit: WTF, why does this image keep reverting to its original size every time I shrink it and save?!! :angry:)

on a few occasions I've forked out over $50 for a record with just 1 song on it, because I freaking loved those tunes and they're hard as hell to get hold of! I don't think I'll stop buying records till the wall in my studio looks like this...

I know that feeling. I don't even DJ to write it off on tax either :( Been a few years since I last bought a white label, since Central station closed down in Brisbane, Rocking Horse has **** and they don't catelogue the genres correctly; so I gave up. My favourite is still the Daredevils! record, can't even find it on youtube to share.

I buy most of my dance vinyl out of HTFR and Juno nowdays. I used to get a bit from Vinyl Warning before they closed down, and I think I've even got a couple that came from Sanity Dance Arena. Discogs is a pretty decent place to get stuff too. I picked up a copy of Felix Krocher's Schranz remix of Every You, Every Me on there from some store in Europe. Wasn't cheap ($65 shipped - and people think iTunes is expensive!) but well worth it.

OH DAYMNNNNNN THOSE COMPUTERS LOOK SICK! :D do u sell them too? :P

Cheers mate ty, i have sold a few :) and a few for magazines and contest prizes , you lookin for something special?

wow @Defyant that's incredible! and here I thought old PC's had no use.

Cheers maca, doin those old cases up is kinda like hottin up an old EH holden :D

Defyant, mate those cases look awesome!

As for my collections, I have 2 loves that I'll never own enough of...

1. Stubbie holders. Whenever I go on holiday I try and get some souveneir stubby holders of places I've been. Small towns, tourist attractions, cool shops, just that I've enjoyed on my trip. Rellies have jumped on the bandwagon too and started buying me ones they think I'll like, funny ones, brands, sport teams, etc. They take pride of place atop my grog cabinet, along with other grog related collectables - souveneir wine/shot glasses, a Stones Original ceramic decanter, etc.

2. Vinyl records. It all came from my DJing. It started with dance records, mostly hard tech and trance stuff that I couldn't get from DJ mp3 stores. Then I started buying a lot of new hard stuff because at the time I could buy the vinyl a couple months earlier than the download. I inherited my folks old vinyl collections from their teenage years when I started playing weddings, and so now I just buy anything. I don't really trawl for classics or rarities or whatever. If I see anything at a market or garage sale that could have some old gems or wedding favourites on it I'll grab it. At 50c for an LP, its a buttload cheaper than iTunes, and half that old 70s and 80s stuff isn't on there anyway, or you just never think of it until it pops up on a record. I have thrown some big dollars at some hard dance whitelabels in the past though - on a few occasions I've forked out over $50 for a record with just 1 song on it, because I freaking loved those tunes and they're hard as hell to get hold of! I don't think I'll stop buying records till the wall in my studio looks like this...

ian-record-wall.jpg

(Disclaimer: That's neither me nor my house. I just found it on Google.)

(Edit: WTF, why does this image keep reverting to its original size every time I shrink it and save?!! :angry:)

Cheers mate, Your Vinyl collection sounds really impressive , we just got back into records again too!

The wife is goin hard core on ebay, i really forgot how good vinyl sounds, specially on a half decent system, i'm finding alotta stuff sounds way better then cds.

Those modded pc cases look epic! Are all of them functional PC's?

Cheers Cee-Lo ty mate :) yep they all were and still are full working pc's, A few were made as custom prizes for computer mag contests.

I just collect Toyota and TRD stuff, parts,brochures,models,memorabilia etc

Here's a few

001-2.jpg

new1zr056.jpg

e44bd02a.jpg

do u know if i can get a facelift diecast? i kinda want one :P