Toyota Staff Redundancy

http://www.news.com....r-1226314052482

Absolutely appalling the way Toyota is treating its staff, denying those who want a redundancy package and forcing out people with young families. All part of minimizing the cost of the axing exercise at the expense of its workers. Feeling so disgusted that I'm almost ashamed driving a Toyota. The way Toyota Australia is behaving is totally un-Australian. No wonder the workers are deliberately introducing defects into the new camry's being built. For me, I don't think my next car will be a Toyota, especially if it's built locally.

Edited by toyrex

Shouldnt this be in general discussion or club lounge???????

anyways, im assuming Toyota would be planning on keeping their top performing staff on board.

Could the moderator pls move this to the General Discussion section,tried doing it but can't.

Regarding Toyota keeping the top performers,it's not in this case, it's about who's the cheapest to lay off. Of course those who lead the strike last year and constantly whinging about the company will be the first to get the flick.

happens across all industries, not just toyota. Easiest way to reduce operating expenses.

Interesting to see that the staff are getting a heads-up that redundancies are coming, in all the redundancies I've been involved with the first staff hear about it is usually on the morning people are being let go. Voluntary redundancies also may not work for toyota as they're not allowed to backfill a "redundant" position for 12 months.

Edited by CHA54

No wonder the workers are deliberately introducing defects into the new camry's being built.

Any evidence of this? Unless you're one of the workers on the workers on the shop floor itself it's a pretty big claim to make. Pretty much all the guys I know who have worked in the car industry (or other manufacturing sectors) take pride in the product they make, even if they are unhappy with management. The ones that don't just tend to slack off or slow down, anyone who is caught deliberately making mistakes is given the boot very quickly.

No wonder the workers are deliberately introducing defects into the new camry's being built.

Any evidence of this?

Looks like Toyrex has connections; (see below)

Heard from sources within Toyota that the assembly line workers are deliberately introducing defects into the new cars as they are angry with their Management over the forced redundancies.

Let's hope this will settle down soon otherwise our car's reputation and reliability will be down the tube.

To clear things up, Toyota has asked staff to individually advise if they would welcome a compulsory redundancy. Not quite voluntary, but a good indicator as to who is keen to move on ...

Not all staff are production line workers, the 350 staff includes other roles, including security/admin. These roles will be taken up by more efficient organisation structure.

Seeing things as a neutral party, the delays in announcing those to be redundant is due to lack of agreement between company and union. My personal opinion of the disagreements ... I saw the union requests as over the top. As negotiations reached 10 weeks, the case went to fair work Australia.

Staff know the timing for announcements (all will know by Monday, or earlier in some cases), so they are not unaware as the news article stated.

Let's try to keep second hand information to a minimum ...

These roles will be taken up by more efficient organisation structure.

[whinge-from-experience]

and in english this means that the remaining staff will be forced to work harder for the same money.

redundancies never work in favour of the remaining staff.. the workload doesnt just automatically disappear, its still there and the people left have to deal with it...

[/whinge-from-experience]

[whinge-from-experience]

and in english this means that the remaining staff will be forced to work harder for the same money.

redundancies never work in favour of the remaining staff.. the workload doesnt just automatically disappear, its still there and the people left have to deal with it...

Agreed. Then you may even get uptitled to make you feel special.

[whinge-from-experience]

Agreed. Then you may even get uptitled to make you feel special.

You both understand perfectly ;)

DJKOR, 9,997 posts ... 3 more to go before bed!

This redundancy is no different to any other in any industry. Only difference is the notice, one company I was with did 2 rounds a year, and you only knew it was done once there were people packing their desks. I feel for those involved as it's never good to lose your income stream.

Apparently an older version of the company I work for did a mass redundancy by organising a stop-work meeting, then the CEO got up on stage with the microphone from a portable PA machine and basically said that everyone was fired.