Does anyone still care about AE92 Secas? Dave's S2 SX Seca

Bristowe

So I drive this

IMG_5371.jpg

AE92 Corolla SX Seca S2

It takes me to and from work, it gets the groceries and Ikea furniture back home, and is occaisionally let loose on twisty backroads..

I jumped at the opportunity to buy this series 2 a few years ago when it came up on my radar. I'd be lying if I said it's been a perfect marriage, but I haven't strayed yet!

The details

The ubiquitous KYB excel-G's & King Low Combo

Whiteline front & rear swaybars

Polyurethane bushes

TRD muffler ( my precious.. - I love this more than my watanabes )

Italvolanti Steering wheel

TRD Duracon Shift knob

C's AE92 Short shifter

Broadway rearview mirror

Dead stock stereo + OEM CD player

S1 Grille

The motor is simply the factory smallport 4age with bigport camshafts

When I first got the car...

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3040-1.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

Interior was in pretty good shape back then

More to follow.. :)

Edited by Bristowe

How the interior looks these days

IMG_5408.jpg

I was originally planning to do the usual matte black finish on these but changed my mind at the last minute..If I dont wash them for long enough they become matte black anyway! But seriously the gloss really pops when clean.

IMG_5401.jpg

I think it looks best in profile.

IMG_5335.jpg

Few more

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

Thanks guys, you can see why I didn't hesitate when I found it was for sale :) Ive only tried to do it justice and try to keep it as near as original while giving it my own spin :)

I still see plenty of AE92's on the road but not as many as a few years ago, and even fewer clean SX's.

Also used to see heaps of AE82 twinny's but they are rare-as these days..

This is how the wats started off by the way, I searched and searched for aagggeesss to find a set of genuine second-hand wats in corolla sizes.

Which happens to be 15x6.5, 4x100, +35

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

Had to get genuine valves

IMG_3709.jpg

And the centre caps

IMG_3745.jpg

Been pulled over by coppers for rbt's and whatnot [sif random..] and at least two of them have stood back to check them out!

Or they may have been scrutinizing the ride height but clearly that's never been an issue haha

No one cares about the AE92 Seca's, it's all about the AE93 seca's....

If I'm not mistaken any xE9x Seca with a 4AGE is an AE93, not an AE92.

Very clean example, has it had a respray at some stage? Seeing as you're in Victoria, you should come to the Vic meets, sometimes there are a grey, and white seca in attendance, would be nice to have a red one there, so we have all three of the SX Seca colours there.

Yeah she definately has had fresh paint at some stage, I've got no real complaints about it.

This is font of powa

IMG_4998.jpg

trainspotters may notice the strut tower brace from a very famous corolla.. ;)

There's a rear strut brace too, and I really appreciated the merits of chassis stiffening after it went on. Even such a mild improvement to rigidity meant the rear had noticeabley more grip/stabilty and thus gave me more confidence. The Seca's massive gaping hatch is only good for hauling swedish furniture.

Hello kind sir, I don't think we've met?

haha jokes Dave, been too long! We should catch up one man

omg I LOVE those rims!

^_^ thanks mate. they aren't just black though, but in fact....!!

05-07obsidianblackpearlsubaru.jpg

obsidian_black_pearl.jpg

A subaru colour obsidian black pearl

I'm kicking myself for asking for a more subtle pearl effect - you would never know unless you were in full sunlight and looking for it :ph34r:

Trung mate, i'll def try to make to meet next time, you gotta introduce me to your chaser!

YES I still care about AE92's :D

Car looks fantastic and original except for the grille, door moulds, stickers,black sills, it's all there, loving that....I know I have seen the GAB brace somewhere but can't remember, where did you find the muffler?

I bought a red one too in 91, brand new then in 2000 I flew to Mel and bought a 90 SX Seca in white , 10yrs old and 31000km, still going strong..

YES I still care about AE92's :D

Car looks fantastic and original except for the grille, door moulds, stickers,black sills, it's all there, loving that....I know I have seen the GAB brace somewhere but can't remember, where did you find the muffler?

I bought a red one too in 91, brand new then in 2000 I flew to Mel and bought a 90 SX Seca in white , 10yrs old and 31000km, still going strong..

Thanks :) I passed up a MINT original DC2 Integra Type R with 30,000 genuine kms to keep my Old series 1 SX Seca [which I do regret actually] and then kept it for another 2 years after finding this series 2 lol.

Muffler was a lucky find on the ebays, not really quite sure of the history of it. All my research on it [ages ago] turned up 2 hits on yahoo.jp, and I've also seen them show up on a handful of blogs/build diary's - but I don't think I've never seen any definative information about it.

Without the plate it would just look like a generic rubbish muff.

IMG_4407.jpg

It's a bit loud.. :closedeyes:

They're all lying - nobody cares... they are trolling you...

lmao... jk... nice car mate :D

Thx mate, wish it were quicker tho!

You have an XR6T? They can cover distance quite fast hey ^_^

Edited by Bristowe

• 4 weeks later...

Found this spare lip in the garage while cleaning out old crap.

I think I might keep it :)

IMG_5430.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5448.jpg

Currently only test fitted :

IMG_5452.jpg

Until I find a good way to eliminate this gap in the corner:

IMG_5451.jpg

Heat it up and bend it a little?

Dremel to shape it?

Live with it?

That looks GOOD Dave! I did however, find that the Mazda 626 lip did fit better on a Series 1 bar though. When I did have the Cressida lip, I just put some black duct tape behind it and it was all sweet!

i LOVE this car ... has to be one of the best if not the best seca in the country... must be seen in person.. and Dave yes lots of guys still care about AE9X corollas ... they **** all over anything newer !!

i LOVE this car ... has to be one of the best if not the best seca in the country... must be seen in person.. and Dave yes lots of guys still care about AE9X corollas ... they **** all over anything newer !!

99% of tocau is about to get mad at you for that comment... :P haha

It is true that old cars have a lot more character Mick.., even though the AE90 series is still far from being classic or anything, I love driving it and it has JUST enough mod-cons to make it comfy as a daily haha.

At the moment i'm waiting on a 3.9kg flywheel to arrive - and trying to decide whether or not to replace my clutch [which is perfectly fine] at the same time..

99% of tocau is about to get mad at you for that comment... :P haha

haha, haters gon' hate right?

Nah - new cars can also push my buttons too, I'd love to be able to import a Crown Athlete, but i'd settle for the current IS350 :D

• 1 month later...

So i've had this lying around for a while and finally on the car this wed

flywheel is custom made by Barry @ MRP - i must say very impressed with the design, quality/finish/fit

IMG_5491.jpg

plus a new HD exedy clutch

IMG_5490.jpg

super-inaccurate scales shows pretty close to 3.9kg

IMG_5488.jpg

All that replaces this

IMG_5524.jpg

previous flywheel on the scales showed about 6kg

IMG_5531.jpg

Very VERY stoked with the results! revs cleanly, sooo addictive it's been hard to drive sensibly to bed it in...and it's kicking off thoughts about even more powa/handling..

Lastly, gotta give props to dorifto for helping to restore my clusters illumination in record time!

IMG_5534.jpg

IMG_5533.jpg

I know u wanted me to go amber, but white doesn't look too bad right? :toast: