"Check VSC system" coming up after K&N typhoon air intake installed

JCP88

Hi everyone …

I have a 2008 (ex-cop) Toyota Aurion sportivo sx6 around 95,000 km. it’s in good condition, nothing wrong, CHECK VSC never comes up..UNTIL…

Around 2+ months ago …I installed the K&N typhoon air intake (69-8611TS) at ultratune, about 2 weeks later, the “check VSC system”message comes up, when I was driving normally, but after I restart the car, it went away. Then about 1 month after that, the message came up again, and this time, won’t go away even after I restarted the car so I just kept driving it till I get home...

few days later I rang up service department at southside Toyota ...and told the techs about my problem...he answered “was something to do with the calculation of the fuel and air for the computer and the engine , that it’s not suitable for the engine or something ? because that k&n is old stuff.. not suitable for new cars these day and is stuffing up the computer ? could damage to the vale in the long run?” so he suggested me to install the stock one or take it to a local dyno tune shop ..and they may fixed the problem.

So i went to APC Australian Performance Centres at underwood (pretty nice people). Talked to them about the problem again and they said they could fix it. So on the first day, they did some kind of computer test (check ECU fault codes for $87), and came up with some error code (P0500 vehicle speed sensor) that says “ possible causes - vehicle speed sensor harness or connectors is open or shorted – vehicle sensor circuit poor electrical connection – faulty vehicle speed sensor – faulty combination meter – faulty engine control module and etc..” But none of that is related to the k&n air intake and my speedometer are fine…why does it come up with that code,

in order to determine the cause of the problem the guy suggested me to install the stock airbox back on and drive for a week and see if the code still comes up…so I got the stock one installed backed in ( cost another$90 ) …drove it for a week and the warning sign didn’t come up as usual on the stock air box.

So I went back to APC a week after which is today. they did a dyno test ( $291.75) on the stock and k&n air intake,(graph at the bottom) and found out the input for the fuel is still the same which means the air intake is probably not the cause of the problem…and the guy said something might be wrong for the sensor on the intake….

And now APC told me to drive again for a week with the k&n air intake and see if the “check VSC system” will come up again

I have spent almost $500 for this..to fix the problem…and really don’t want to spend anymore… I mean the guys at APC are pretty professional and nice…they didn’t want to just tune my car and make it faster straight away without fixing the problem first…so in the meantime was wondering if anyone has this problem before…and any suggestion for it .

Attached the dyno graph .red is stock. Blue is with the k&N. looks like k&n has less power at the acceleration ..until it reaches 132km ..it started to gain power....why is that...

post-21051-0-59403000-1335431967_thumb.j

post-21051-0-12267600-1335432016_thumb.j

Have you recently used a filter re-charge kit on the pod itself? (not sure whether the typhoon ones are the oilable/cleanable filters)

because it may be the coating of oil on your MAF sensor

I had the same message come up on my TRD. Found out in my instance it was to do with a build up of corrosion on the battery. Took the battery terminal off and gave it a good clean, and haven't had the problem come up since. When the check VSC system fault came up on my dashboard, i wasnt even able to start the car.

Quick random question. Havent most of our dyno'd Aurions been making around 153-158kw at the wheels? with the odd freak in the 160's? lol

I had the same message come up on my TRD. Found out in my instance it was to do with a build up of corrosion on the battery. Took the battery terminal off and gave it a good clean, and haven't had the problem come up since. When the check VSC system fault came up on my dashboard, i wasnt even able to start the car.

yea i had this some problem b4 alreay. car wouldnt start when the check VSC system comes up ( b4 had the kn installed). but found out it was the car battery that was almost out ..so yea...nothing to do with intake i guess ><''

Quick random question. Havent most of our dyno'd Aurions been making around 153-158kw at the wheels? with the odd freak in the 160's? lol

are you serious ...??? why is my so **** ...

but believe it or not ..i have raced so many cars ..roll-start and at the lights. audi tt, mazda mps ..golf gti..and always win though..

Have you recently used a filter re-charge kit on the pod itself? (not sure whether the typhoon ones are the oilable/cleanable filters)

because it may be the coating of oil on your MAF sensor

how do you use a filter re-charge kit ?

but believe it or not ..i have raced so many cars ..roll-start and at the lights. audi tt, mazda mps ..golf gti..and always win though..

Then you wake up, right?

Your Aurion is definitely on the lower side on the power spectrum compared to other ones.

Here's a basic question... did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery etc after the K&N intake was fitted?

Sometimes the Aurion doesn't quite know how to respond to changes and resetting the ECU forces it to learn what is "normal". Also, the check VSC error is very deceiving. You will tend to get the Check VSC System message whenever any code is thrown and sometimes by the time you go to read the actual code, it will have been cleared and the only one left is the generic VSC error code.

Every dyno can have it's day where it reads differently. You can't really compare unless you have the different cars on the same dyno around the same time. What matters here is that you could see the difference between the K&N and stock and that indicates that it is reading consistent for comparing the same car with changes.

Those cars aren't particularly fast either. Besides, racing a car on the streets proves nothing.

Then you wake up, right?

Your Aurion is definitely on the lower side on the power spectrum compared to other ones.

not really. in real life. dont care if you believed it not. anyway thats not the point.

Here's a basic question... did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery etc after the K&N intake was fitted?

Sometimes the Aurion doesn't quite know how to respond to changes and resetting the ECU forces it to learn what is "normal". Also, the check VSC error is very deceiving. You will tend to get the Check VSC System message whenever any code is thrown and sometimes by the time you go to read the actual code, it will have been cleared and the only one left is the generic VSC error code.

Every dyno can have it's day where it reads differently. You can't really compare unless you have the different cars on the same dyno around the same time. What matters here is that you could see the difference between the K&N and stock and that indicates that it is reading consistent for comparing the same car with changes.

Those cars aren't particularly fast either. Besides, racing a car on the streets proves nothing.

yea your right, racing a car on the street dont prove anything. but its just for fun..dont really care if it proves anything or not haha

but yea ...APC did reset the ECU after putting the stock air box back on and then re-install the k&n the week after that. so now its been reseted ...hopefully it will be alright ?

Yeah whilst that's true DJ that different dyno's on different days, climates etc will yield a different result but where talking 20kw-30kw here. Sure maybe if he was dynoing in the Sahara desert on 55 degree day but that seems quite low for an Aurion. However you’re right at least the dyno was able to pick up the difference and read consistently. Shame though all it seems to of done to this particular vehicle is reduce power over the actual RPM and speed range we actually normally use and speed we can go. Not much use making more power than stock if it only kicks in way up high and above 130km/h.

Yeah whilst that's true DJ that different dyno's on different days, climates etc will yield a different result but where talking 20kw-30kw here. Sure maybe if he was dynoing in the Sahara desert on 55 degree day but that seems quite low for an Aurion. However you’re right at least the dyno was able to pick up the difference and read consistently. Shame though all it seems to of done to this particular vehicle is reduce power over the actual RPM and speed range we actually normally use and speed we can go. Not much use making more power than stock if it only kicks in way up high and above 130km/h.

We are taking about a difference of about 7-18kW based on the results from others.

I'm not referring to changes in weather conditions etc. Dynos can be set up to display different figures based on the mode they are set. Some are made to compensate for environmental differences to give a figure that would be thought to be more "accurate" while some don't apply any compensation. Without knowing exactly how the said dyno was set up, you can't make a comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

lol i don’t think you need to be any sort of rocket scientist to see DJ is here. Heck there’s even a hint if you read back lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem a month ago. my "Check VSC System warning came on and my engine warning light came on. Fortunately I have access to my own scantool, so I plugged it in, did a scan and got 2 fault codes.

They were:

P0171 - System too Lean (Bank 1)

P0174 - System too Lean (Bank 2)

So I rang my friendly local toyota tech and had a word with him... Long story short I found that a vacuum hose had popped off the back of the supercharger, and was allowing too much air into the fuel/air mix. Which resulted in the engine coding a fault. What my tech also told me, was that when the engine logs a code it disables the VSC System as a safety measure (don't know why... just sayin').

So yeah.. I can't help you fix the fault with your car, but thats why your VSC System is showing a problem, cos your car shut it down.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone …

I have a 2008 (ex-cop) Toyota Aurion sportivo sx6 around 95,000 km. it’s in good condition, nothing wrong, CHECK VSC never comes up..UNTIL…

Around 2+ months ago …I installed the K&N typhoon air intake (69-8611TS) at ultratune, about 2 weeks later, the “check VSC system”message comes up, when I was driving normally, but after I restart the car, it went away. Then about 1 month after that, the message came up again, and this time, won’t go away even after I restarted the car so I just kept driving it till I get home...

few days later I rang up service department at southside Toyota ...and told the techs about my problem...he answered “was something to do with the calculation of the fuel and air for the computer and the engine , that it’s not suitable for the engine or something ? because that k&n is old stuff.. not suitable for new cars these day and is stuffing up the computer ? could damage to the vale in the long run?” so he suggested me to install the stock one or take it to a local dyno tune shop ..and they may fixed the problem.

So i went to APC Australian Performance Centres at underwood (pretty nice people). Talked to them about the problem again and they said they could fix it. So on the first day, they did some kind of computer test (check ECU fault codes for $87), and came up with some error code (P0500 vehicle speed sensor) that says “ possible causes - vehicle speed sensor harness or connectors is open or shorted – vehicle sensor circuit poor electrical connection – faulty vehicle speed sensor – faulty combination meter – faulty engine control module and etc..” But none of that is related to the k&n air intake and my speedometer are fine…why does it come up with that code,

in order to determine the cause of the problem the guy suggested me to install the stock airbox back on and drive for a week and see if the code still comes up…so I got the stock one installed backed in ( cost another$90 ) …drove it for a week and the warning sign didn’t come up as usual on the stock air box.

So I went back to APC a week after which is today. they did a dyno test ( $291.75) on the stock and k&n air intake,(graph at the bottom) and found out the input for the fuel is still the same which means the air intake is probably not the cause of the problem…and the guy said something might be wrong for the sensor on the intake….

And now APC told me to drive again for a week with the k&n air intake and see if the “check VSC system” will come up again

I have spent almost $500 for this..to fix the problem…and really don’t want to spend anymore… I mean the guys at APC are pretty professional and nice…they didn’t want to just tune my car and make it faster straight away without fixing the problem first…so in the meantime was wondering if anyone has this problem before…and any suggestion for it .

Attached the dyno graph .red is stock. Blue is with the k&N. looks like k&n has less power at the acceleration ..until it reaches 132km ..it started to gain power....why is that...

Hi JCP88,

I have spent 500 bugs to get this VSC Error fixed i guess the experts at Toyota Service are just doing hit and trial to fix this .

Did you solve this problem for your Toyota dont want loose more money on fixing this one :(

Cheers,

Vibs

• 1 month later...