New key, car won't start

zzt231

A family member drives an 05 Yaris. The rubber for the lock/unlock buttons wore out, so they purchased a Denso housing with plastic keys and moved the transponder over. The key was cut today by a locksmith.

The key fits in the ignition, turns and can hear the starter motor, but the car won't start. I tried the original key again and it works fine, but for some reason the new key seems to get the starter going, but the car just won't start.

Any reason for this or was the key possibly not cut correctly?. I mean it does look exactly the same as the original.

is the transponder your talking about the remote curcuit board( has the buttons on it) There should also be a small chip in the key housing for the immobilizer. Sounds like its not there thats why it wont start

As above, it is the transponder chip.

This is glued in the old key head, you have to cut around it to get it out, do lot try leaver or force it out because they can break easy and if that's your last (master) key your screwed.

I'm suppressed that who ever cut the key didn't say anything. Did you get the new key shell from Toyota? if so it will have the chip in the key, so you can use the old key to code in the new chip.

Edited by (mr2)

+ 1 to the chip .

the newer models with immoblizers have chips , which communicates with the engine when inserted into the ignition slot,

which is like a password to the engine, allowing it too start up when turned.

to get the chip in a copied key , you must take it to toyota and they will charge you from $100 - $300 ,

which i believe includes the copied key + chip .

The key itself can be a backup just incase you lock yourself out,

BUT if you need it to start the car as well , i suggest go to toyota and get it done there.

I'm suprised that who ever cut the key didn't say anything. Did you get the new key shell from Toyota? if so it will have the chip in the key, so you can use the old key to code in the new chip.

me too , must of been a dodgy locksmith , cause any locksmith should know that theres a chip or not.

Edited by simplyvandinh

+ 1 to the chip .

the newer models with immoblizers have chips , which communicates with the engine when inserted into the ignition slot,

It was around 1998 that Toyota started using transponder chips and some Euro cars started coming out with them a coiple of years before that.

Thanks guys. Last night I took apart the key before reading this and notice this glue, which I hacked away at then I thought, I should probably leave it.

So Toyota it is. Time to get charged an arm and a leg.

If you go to Toyota it's going to cost you $90 for the key shell then you have to take it to a Locksmith to get it cutand coded. Or get a complete key with remote for around $420 :)

I bought a Denso key shell for like $10. So a lock smith will be able to code it/put the small chip in?

Cheers

yes they will. It will cost a little more but you should get it cut to code as this will be cut to factory specs, no wear on the key so it will work better. for them to do that and swap the chip over it shouldn't cost more than $60.

+ 1 to the chip .

It was around 1998 that Toyota started using transponder chips and some Euro cars started coming out with them a coiple of years before that.

thanks for the knowlegde ! i thought it was the newer models only .

+ 1 to the chip .

thanks for the knowlegde ! i thought it was the newer models only .

No worries, I work on a lot of these and am more than happy to help out where I can.

• 9 years later...
On 5/3/2012 at 5:29 PM, zzt231 said:

A family member drives an 05 Yaris. The rubber for the lock/unlock buttons wore out, so they purchased a Denso housing with plastic keys and moved the transponder over. The key was cut today by a locksmith.

The key fits in the ignition, turns and can hear the starter motor, but the car won't start. I tried the original key again and it works fine, but for some reason the new key seems to get the starter going, but the car just won't start.

Any reason for this or was the key possibly not cut correctly?. I mean it does look exactly the same as the original.