Rav4 2AD-FTV Turbo Diesel Excessive Oil Consumption

GT1978

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone else suffers from high oil consumption in their Rav4. I have a 1998 2ltr (3SFE) that has blown a little smoke on start up that i assume is worn vavle seals. The missus used to drive it to work in stop start traffic. About 18 months ago i noticed the oil level was low and had to add oil between services. It now needs about 1.5lts every 4000km. The car has done almost 175000km now. There are no external signs of leaks so it's all going in and blowing out the back. Do others see this amount of consumption in their 3sfe powered Ravs?

Glen.

• Like 1

If the oil/coolant is not milky that is most likely the problem. Are there any noticable smells of burning oil? Check behind the valve cover as well.

Anyone experience high oil consuption in any other Ravs? About 12 months ago we purchased a 2006 2.4lt Rav4 as an eventual update for the 1998 and this one also seems to use alot of oil. The '06 model appears to be using almost 2lt oil every 5000km. I'm beginning to think the newer toyotas are a bit more fragile than the older engines. I've owned old celicas with 18r-c engines that had done 450,000km and used less oil than our Ravs. The '06 Rav has only clocked over 100,000km also which is worrying.

Glen.

• Like 1

Hi glen, mate I have read people having trouble with there 200 series using oil, and a forum member changed the grade of oil used and the oil consumption problem was fixed, that got me thinking I wonder if the problem is the grade of oil that you are using is the problem, it might be worth trying a different type and grade of oil, mate im not sure if you have already done that or not but its somthing worth thinking about.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've got a 2013 RAV4 GXL 2.2L diesel turbo and it used about 1 litre in the first 8,000klm. It
was checked by Toyota at the 1,000klm mark so it lost it in 7,000klm. The oil
light came on and I had to put in about a litre. It's just had it's first
service today (at 9,900klm). They said they couldn't find anything wrong. They
say they are not aware of anyone else reporting this so as far as I'm concerned, there is a problem with my car. The manager said he'd get onto the Toyoata head office and see if they have an alert out and that he'd email me the answer. He showed me a Toyota notice that said that the Landcruiser could lose 1 litre in 10,000klm but that is under towing conditions or when it's working
hard. But my RAV4 rarely has more than two people in it and certainly doesn't
do any heavy work. This is a new car! I've got a petrol Camry that's 15 years
old and it doesn't use any oil at all. To say that this new RAV4 should be expected
to lose some oil is nonsense. The fact that it uses a thin synthetic oil might be a clue. I'd be interested to see what other people think.

• Like 2

I've got a 2013 RAV4 GXL 2.2L diesel turbo and it used about 1 litre in the first 8,000klm. It

say they are not aware of anyone else reporting this so as far as I'm concerned, there is a problem with my car. The manager said he'd get onto the Toyoata head office and see if they have an alert out and that he'd email me the answer. He showed me a Toyota notice that said that the Landcruiser could lose 1 litre in 10,000klm but that is under towing conditions or when it's working

old and it doesn't use any oil at all. To say that this new RAV4 should be expected

to lose some oil is nonsense. The fact that it uses a thin synthetic oil might be a clue. I'd be interested to see what other people think.

Now and then I come across this in my own (non Toyota) motors. I an not familiar with the valve seal systems on them but if there is a bore or seal problem this stuff sometimes works a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251302578959?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks John,

But if I've got to add stuff to a new car then there's something wrong. As it turns out there is an entry in the manual that says that I should expect to use some oil. But again It's a general statement. I would expect to use oil if it was working hard but it's not.

When I got it back from Toyota I checked the dipstick level and it was filled to about 50% over the top mark! I recon they deliberately filled it that far so that the light wouldn't come on before the next service (another 10,000klm).They did say keep an eye on it and to let them know if it does it three times in a row after a top-up.

I contacted them re the overfill but they haven't bothered to reply. Everyone always say don't overfill, so today I drained a bit out. Now it's right on the top mark. Interestingly, the amount I took out to get the level right wouldn't have been any more that 600mL, probably more like 400mL.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Talbit

Hi i have also had oil problems with my rav4 diesel from 18000 klm also oil light came on it was topped up untill the service at 2000 klm at 28000 klm oil light came on again topped up, at 30000 klm dealership changed oil viscosity from 5/30 to 5/40 at 39800 klm ran out of oil again not happy .dealership wants to monitor every 1000 klm this rav only do hwy driving 60klm each way to work no city driving one or two persons in the car no towing or heavy work other people have surgested may be glasing of the piston bores because the rav does not work hard enough can anyone comment on weather or not this is a possibility . Welshpomie

Welshpomie,

That's a thought about the pistons glazing up. I know this can be a problem with a large diesel generator. They "like" to be worked hard to alleviant that problem. But there was no mention of that from the Toyota dealer. Besides, I would hope the design of the engine would be such that you could do general driving without this being a problem. The RAV4 is not supposed to be a "workhorse". You would get a Prado or a Landcruiser for serious caravan towing or the like.

I'm keeping a log of the level. Again the interesting thing is that Toyota said it's the first they've heard of it. Are they trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I would concede that if it requires an extra litre every 8,000klm then so be it. But if there is something wrong with the car that will show up later - like the day after the warranty runs out - then that's a different matter!

Talbit

Hi Talbit on 3/6/14 this week the rav4 went in for the 40000 klm service the dealship has been apprantly told by toyota to check the oil level every 1000 klm what bothers me is the dealship added an extra 16mm of oil on the dipstick iam not sure how much that adds to in volume but iam quite sure thats not a good thing for the motor .I also have been keeping a log since 18000 klm when it all began with photos of the dipstick and mileage used .Like most companys they dont want a recall it has been said 4 other owners from the same dealership have had the same problem so there is a issue for toyota to deal with, exactly what they will do will probly be what you have surgested and drag hit out past warranty .Welshpomie

Hi Guys,

I am also having problem with my Rav4 2013 GX diesel.

Yesterday the warning light lit-up 2x due to low engine oil.

I pulled over and wait for awhile and pull the dip stick and I found out the the oil level is upto the buttom dot (mark) of the dipstick.

The car traveled only 14500kms and just done 10000kms.

I called the Toyota dealership and they want me to bring the car to their service department asap coz that is unusual.

I will keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Wilson

Just wanted to add a comment to the OP, the 1st gen RAV4's with the 3S-FE engines were notorious for valve stem seal failures. Though having said this, it usually was around the 150k - 200k mark that they started to give up.

I remember conversations like this one on the old RAV4World.com and RAV4oz.com as well, the general concensus was to use slightly thicker oil and most of the consumption problems would disappear. But also do check the back of the engine for rocker cover gasket failure as well.

Just wanted to add a comment to the OP, the 1st gen RAV4's with the 3S-FE engines were notorious for valve stem seal failures.

I remember conversations like this one on the old RAV4World.com

I have used this for that problem on other cars with fantastic results.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251302578959?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 :clap:

I have tried to register with Rav4World but can't get on. :mellow:

Interesting...

I used to moderate R4W in it's early days and help out Kelly with the site. Not sure what's happened to him if he's not taking registrations anymore. :g:

• 3 weeks later...

I also Have a Toyota Rav 4 2013 diesel and I am at 40,000 ks now and since new I have been running out of oil every 5000ks.

Toyota tell me they have never heard of this yet its all over the internet.

I am pretty peed off as I brought a new car to avoid problems and now I am having oil dramas.

No one seems to want to put it through warranty and keep fobbing me off even the manager.

Last service they left my oil plug unsealed so now i have oil everywhere in my motor.

I wont ever buy a toyota again and its no wonder they have gone out of business making them here.

can I claim this problem through my insurance as I am not getting anywhere with the service department.

They are telling me that I must get them to put the oil in and that I cant do it myself yet i live an hour and 10 minutes from them and getting them to do it for me is not always an option as sometimes it runs out so fast I cannot get to them in time.

Interesting...

I used to moderate R4W in it's early days and help out Kelly with the site. Not sure what's happened to him if he's not taking registrations anymore. :g:

At first I thought it was my PC or the operating system but I got others to try to register with the same problem. I can't even contact the site to get help to register.

@ Newbie Jennifer.

Is there nothing else you can do such as get a motoring organisation to step in. We have the AA here in England that I am in who would be very helpful. I seriously doubt your insurance will be able to help but you never know. Have you contacted only the local Toyota agent??

It's a commonly known fact that just about all cars (even new ones) will suffer some form of oil consumption - it just depends on how well the engines are built at the factory and how good the components are. If yours has had a good life and the oil consumption is unexplained, then I suggest if your local Toyota manager won't hear of your complaint, that you should take it up with the Head Office of Toyota Australia in Caringbah. This should be enough to provoke some action.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am currently having the same issue with my 2013 diesel rav4. Toyota have released a technical news flash called TNF58/14 in relation to this issue.

The dealership i bought the car from ran a test and found out that my car was using 250ml of oil per 1000kms instead of the "normal" 200ml per 1000km. Their solution thus far is for me to continue to top up the oil or have the engine overhauled, which includes new pistons and be placed on a 3 months service schedule. So currently i have written a letter of demand as per NSW Fair Trading asking for a new engine or new car, as no car that is less then 12 months old should need a engine overhaul. Also i should not be expected to get my car serviced every 3 month due to their manufacturing fault.

I have my fingers crossed that this can be resolved quickly and fairly, however i doubt Toyota will come to the party.

Hope this helps everyone in how to approach the issue. Any advice please let me know.

Thanks

Robert...

200ml every 1,000klm? No new car - petrol or diesel should use that amoint of oil but that gels with my experience of 1.2L for 5150klms Read on ...

My story so far...

As you can see from my earlier post, I was asked by Toyota to keep an eye on things and go straight to a Toyota dealer if the oil light came on. I was to get the dealer to enter it on a sheet the home dealer gave me. The car was serviced at the 9,900klm mark. I drove to Queensland from the ACT in July and I noticed that the oil was getting low. So before the oil light actually came on I went into the dealer at the Woolloongabba. He put 1.2 litres in at the 15,050klm mark. So the bottom line is my new Rav4 used 1.2L in 5,150klms! This is not right in anyone's book. The interesting thing is the Gabba dealer said Toyota was aware of it and they had asked the dealers to report each incident as the customer reported it. Also interesting is that my home dealer knew nothing of this when I first reported it. So I'll keep driving and see what happens. It's definitely dropping as I continue to drive. I think we are all going to have to form a united front on this matter. I don't know what we can do but we'll give it a try!

My wife spotted a Jeep the other day with a large banner on the rear windscreen which read "I bought a Lemon". I'll have no hesitation doing the same if Toyota don't start talking sense.

Regards

Talbit

Edited by Talbit

Robert,

Can you tell me how I can find and view the Toyota technical news flash TNF58/14 you mentioned?

Talbit

Hi

I am simply going off what they have written on their service invoice. And it stated that my oil consumption is 250ml per 1000km, and the norm was 200ml per 1000km, which seems to be on par with your consumption also.

Unfortunately they simply referenced the technical news flash. My dealer stated that it was informing dealers that there were a few diesel RAV4s consuming too much oil. I will give them a call tomorrow and ask for a copy.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by RSECHI

Hi again,

I don't want to be a nuisance but did you contact your dealer re the alert.

And where did they get the 200ml "normal" consumption from? It does say in the handbook that all cars should consume some oil. But I think that is a blanket statement to cover all circumstances so I'm keen to know where the "normal consumption of 200ml per 1,000klm" comes from. My dealer certainly didn't mention it when I first bought it to their attention. Indeed they told me I was the first person to mention the problem to them.

I have a petrol V6 Camry that is approaching 14 years in service and it doesn't use one drop. Beautiful car. Still drives like new. I also had a Hyundai Excel and it was 15 years old and it too used no oil at all. Quite remarkable for a high revving zippy little machine. Fantastic little car by the way! Sorry I gave it away now!

Talbit

Wilson77,

Can you please review your klms in your post. I'm a little confused as to when your oil light came on. You said 14,500klm. Is there a zero missing because you mentioned 10,000klm later.

Talbit

Edited by Talbit