GT1978

Rav4 2AD-FTV Turbo Diesel Excessive Oil Consumption

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, blacktux said:

Again the same thing happened twice in one day. Fuel cap wasn't loose. Has anyone else seen this?

 

Create your own topic. What you are posting has nothing to do with the topic you are posting in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Dear Moderator,

3 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Create your own topic. What you are posting has nothing to do with the topic you are posting in.

This happen after the rebuild from the excessive oil consumption. It is important for members to be aware of this and the risks of the rebuild. When this happens the oil pressure light comes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, blacktux said:

Dear Moderator,

This happen after the rebuild from the excessive oil consumption. It is important for members to be aware of this and the risks of the rebuild. When this happens the oil pressure light comes on.

Reading back through your posts, you had made no mention of this, which makes it sound like a completely different issue that you are having.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blacktux,

Is it the oil pressure or the low oil level? It's the same warning light except the LCD panel will tell you if it's oil pressure or oil level. You've gotta be quick to see it. But you've clearly got a different issue now, whether it's related to the rebuild or not.

I've decided not to go ahead with the rebuild. It's just not worth the risk and it doesn't fix the problem anyway. But I'll still keep an eye on this forum even if it is to keep it alive for others. Clearly Toyota don't intend to do anything about it and are hoping we'll all go away and won't bother them! I probably won't buy another Toyota except that my >15 year old petrol Camry still drives like a new car and burns NO oil. Best car I've ever had. I recon it'll last forever. It's approaching 300,000klm although we don't drive it as much now.

Cheers

Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a look at the new RAV4 diesel the other day. It looks like it's the same under the bonnet - just a newer look outside.

But the engine is slightly different. It's still the same 2231 mL capacity. The model we have is the 2AD-FTV and the new model is the 2AD-FHV and in my case it's a 2 1/2 year difference in the manufacture date (June 2013 to Jan 2016). It's still a 2AD engine which I guess is the style but the next letters are different. I'm not sure what the other three letter refer to - different generations of the same engine? There must be something different or they wouldn't change the model number. Can we assume that the engine is the same but they've upgraded a few things - like fixing the oil consumption problem? I asked the sales guys and the service manager at two dealers now and not one of them would commit himself to saying categorically that the oil consumption problem has been fixed. Or maybe he doesn't know or doesn't care to know. Anyway, there is no way I'd buy the newer one just because they say it's okay! But it's interesting that this forum has gone very quiet. It seems no one with the newer engine has come onto the forum or started their own post to discuss any oil issues.

Cheers Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well..  it's been a while since I had the engine rebuild.. like in my last post.  My oil consumption issue seems to be fixed. Toyota have been great to me . They organised a loan car during the rebuild.  they also replaced the $1800 windscreen cause the rain sensor keep falling off.  They also gave me 2 years extended warranty and capped servicing.  The first oil test came back ok.  They still doing 1 more test before my next service to double check the figures,  if it does fail,  they will replace the complete engine.  I can't fault Toyota's service  since they are the ones who told me in the first place I had issues with the oil.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talbit said:

I had a look at the new RAV4 diesel the other day. It looks like it's the same under the bonnet - just a newer look outside.

But the engine is slightly different. It's still the same 2231 mL capacity. The model we have is the 2AD-FTV and the new model is the 2AD-FHV and in my case it's a 2 1/2 year difference in the manufacture date (June 2013 to Jan 2016). It's still a 2AD engine which I guess is the style but the next letters are different. I'm not sure what the other three letter refer to - different generations of the same engine? There must be something different or they wouldn't change the model number. Can we assume that the engine is the same but they've upgraded a few things - like fixing the oil consumption problem? I asked the sales guys and the service manager at two dealers now and not one of them would commit himself to saying categorically that the oil consumption problem has been fixed. Or maybe he doesn't know or doesn't care to know. Anyway, there is no way I'd buy the newer one just because they say it's okay! But it's interesting that this forum has gone very quiet. It seems no one with the newer engine has come onto the forum or started their own post to discuss any oil issues.

Cheers Talbit

 

http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_ad-engine_eng.htm

 

From what I can tell, the turbo is different, compression ratio may or may not have changed, changes to injectors and a few other fuel-related bits.  More power/torque, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had the rebuild done over a year ago.  Last week the oil light came on.  Toyota checked the oil cumpustion and came back as 800ml in 5000kms which is in the normal range.  Yesterday the oil light came back on and it used 800mls in 325kms. I'm  just waiting now for toyota to tell me what the next course of action is,  which I believe is a new engine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay H4RD, what was the outcome. Are they going to replace the engine?

Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2016 at 8:48 PM, blacktux said:

New issue with the RAV4 2013, today the wife got Check AWD System, high temp, engine light and the car just stopped. Other Toyota forums reference the fuel cap is loose but I did check this. Luck the Toyota dealer was 3 blocks away, they run diagnostics and found nothing. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Is it the same as this error code?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it looks like this topic has gone dead! I spoke to the Toyota guy yesterday and he said the 2019 RAV4 will not have a a diesel version and that the last few productions didn't have a diesel version. The reason? They weren't popular. My reason? It was a lemon!

Look for my recent post on a blown head gasket.

Good luck to all !!

Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...