GT1978

Rav4 2AD-FTV Turbo Diesel Excessive Oil Consumption

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, blacktux said:

Again the same thing happened twice in one day. Fuel cap wasn't loose. Has anyone else seen this?

 

Create your own topic. What you are posting has nothing to do with the topic you are posting in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Moderator,

3 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Create your own topic. What you are posting has nothing to do with the topic you are posting in.

This happen after the rebuild from the excessive oil consumption. It is important for members to be aware of this and the risks of the rebuild. When this happens the oil pressure light comes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, blacktux said:

Dear Moderator,

This happen after the rebuild from the excessive oil consumption. It is important for members to be aware of this and the risks of the rebuild. When this happens the oil pressure light comes on.

Reading back through your posts, you had made no mention of this, which makes it sound like a completely different issue that you are having.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blacktux,

Is it the oil pressure or the low oil level? It's the same warning light except the LCD panel will tell you if it's oil pressure or oil level. You've gotta be quick to see it. But you've clearly got a different issue now, whether it's related to the rebuild or not.

I've decided not to go ahead with the rebuild. It's just not worth the risk and it doesn't fix the problem anyway. But I'll still keep an eye on this forum even if it is to keep it alive for others. Clearly Toyota don't intend to do anything about it and are hoping we'll all go away and won't bother them! I probably won't buy another Toyota except that my >15 year old petrol Camry still drives like a new car and burns NO oil. Best car I've ever had. I recon it'll last forever. It's approaching 300,000klm although we don't drive it as much now.

Cheers

Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a look at the new RAV4 diesel the other day. It looks like it's the same under the bonnet - just a newer look outside.

But the engine is slightly different. It's still the same 2231 mL capacity. The model we have is the 2AD-FTV and the new model is the 2AD-FHV and in my case it's a 2 1/2 year difference in the manufacture date (June 2013 to Jan 2016). It's still a 2AD engine which I guess is the style but the next letters are different. I'm not sure what the other three letter refer to - different generations of the same engine? There must be something different or they wouldn't change the model number. Can we assume that the engine is the same but they've upgraded a few things - like fixing the oil consumption problem? I asked the sales guys and the service manager at two dealers now and not one of them would commit himself to saying categorically that the oil consumption problem has been fixed. Or maybe he doesn't know or doesn't care to know. Anyway, there is no way I'd buy the newer one just because they say it's okay! But it's interesting that this forum has gone very quiet. It seems no one with the newer engine has come onto the forum or started their own post to discuss any oil issues.

Cheers Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well..  it's been a while since I had the engine rebuild.. like in my last post.  My oil consumption issue seems to be fixed. Toyota have been great to me . They organised a loan car during the rebuild.  they also replaced the $1800 windscreen cause the rain sensor keep falling off.  They also gave me 2 years extended warranty and capped servicing.  The first oil test came back ok.  They still doing 1 more test before my next service to double check the figures,  if it does fail,  they will replace the complete engine.  I can't fault Toyota's service  since they are the ones who told me in the first place I had issues with the oil.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talbit said:

I had a look at the new RAV4 diesel the other day. It looks like it's the same under the bonnet - just a newer look outside.

But the engine is slightly different. It's still the same 2231 mL capacity. The model we have is the 2AD-FTV and the new model is the 2AD-FHV and in my case it's a 2 1/2 year difference in the manufacture date (June 2013 to Jan 2016). It's still a 2AD engine which I guess is the style but the next letters are different. I'm not sure what the other three letter refer to - different generations of the same engine? There must be something different or they wouldn't change the model number. Can we assume that the engine is the same but they've upgraded a few things - like fixing the oil consumption problem? I asked the sales guys and the service manager at two dealers now and not one of them would commit himself to saying categorically that the oil consumption problem has been fixed. Or maybe he doesn't know or doesn't care to know. Anyway, there is no way I'd buy the newer one just because they say it's okay! But it's interesting that this forum has gone very quiet. It seems no one with the newer engine has come onto the forum or started their own post to discuss any oil issues.

Cheers Talbit

 

http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_ad-engine_eng.htm

 

From what I can tell, the turbo is different, compression ratio may or may not have changed, changes to injectors and a few other fuel-related bits.  More power/torque, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had the rebuild done over a year ago.  Last week the oil light came on.  Toyota checked the oil cumpustion and came back as 800ml in 5000kms which is in the normal range.  Yesterday the oil light came back on and it used 800mls in 325kms. I'm  just waiting now for toyota to tell me what the next course of action is,  which I believe is a new engine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay H4RD, what was the outcome. Are they going to replace the engine?

Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2016 at 8:48 PM, blacktux said:

New issue with the RAV4 2013, today the wife got Check AWD System, high temp, engine light and the car just stopped. Other Toyota forums reference the fuel cap is loose but I did check this. Luck the Toyota dealer was 3 blocks away, they run diagnostics and found nothing. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Is it the same as this error code?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No more from me !!!

Edited by Talbit
I've given up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi all,

am looking at buying a late 2013 toyota rav4 diesel, with the 2ad-ftv engine.

i had come across this forum discussion thread earlier, so have been asking all of the dealers i have been visiting to look at cars about the diesel oil consumption problem.

some are telling me they have not come across any reports of such a problem (possible, as the petrol versions are far more common), while others say changing the oil used to one with a different specification addresses the issue.

based on what i am reading in this discussion thread, appears they have not yet got a good solution that fully addresses the issue? should i believe what some of the dealers are saying - that a change of oil type to one with a different specification fully addresses the issue?

would prefer the diesel for the torque and efficiency (km/litre), but would not want to be saddled with an annoying, irritating problem.

the late diesel models (2016, 2017, 2018) with the 2ad-fhv engine cost more than what i am willing to pay currently, so am left to consider the earlier models.

thoughts, comments, advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't touch it. But having said that I still have mine. The dealers are lying. Don't trust them. They know fully well the issue. But my consumption is manageable. To add salt in the wound mine developed a blown head gasket. That was a drama in itself.

Talbit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Further. If you look back in the posts you will see a link to the issue with the blown head gasket. Again the dealers say they are unaware of this issue. The later models might have been ok but the reason they don't make this diesel any more is because the engine is a lemon and they know it. Don't listen to the salesman. Talk to the service manager. If he says he's never heard of the oil problem then walk out and don't go back !!! I could go on but all I can say is buyer be aware.

Because of my circumstances with the head gasket problem I now have two rav4. The second one is a Dec 2018 petrol purchased new last june. Last of the petro lls before the hybrids. Very nice.

Good luck. Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know they continued with the diesels into 2018. The new engine you mentioned might be ok especially that there have been no comments on this forum. But the 2AD-FTV certainly has the oil  consumption issue. My salesman said they don't do the diesels anymore because they weren't popular which is rubbish. The reason was is because it's a lemon.

Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 8:32 AM, Talbit said:

Don't touch it. But having said that I still have mine. The dealers are lying. Don't trust them. They know fully well the issue. But my consumption is manageable. To add salt in the wound mine developed a blown head gasket. That was a drama in itself.

Talbit 

hello talbit, thank you for responding!

test drove one today, and i must say - i like it very much! does not need hard revving to get it going, unlike the petrol, so suits my driving style!

other than not wanting to lose too much in depreciation and not wanting to pass on the problem - any other reason/s for why you have chosen to hang on to it?

if i can get one at a good price, am wondering if i should just accept the oil consumption as part of the deal. other than the oil drinking, which can't be determined from a test drive, even over several days unless it is seriously bad, it is actually a very nice car!

was the blown head gasket related to the oil consumption?

 

On 1/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, Talbit said:

Further. If you look back in the posts you will see a link to the issue with the blown head gasket. Again the dealers say they are unaware of this issue. The later models might have been ok but the reason they don't make this diesel any more is because the engine is a lemon and they know it. Don't listen to the salesman. Talk to the service manager. If he says he's never heard of the oil problem then walk out and don't go back !!! I could go on but all I can say is buyer be aware.

Because of my circumstances with the head gasket problem I now have two rav4. The second one is a Dec 2018 petrol purchased new last june. Last of the petro lls before the hybrids. Very nice.

Good luck. Talbit

i did a quick look-back and saw a few mentions of head gasket replacement as part of the rebuild, but could not find any link to problems specific to the head gasket.

so you bought a new rav4 but kept the old diesel one as well?

the new 2019 line-up still has petrol-only models - a 2 litre and 2.5 litre, in addition to the 2.5 litre hybrid. no more rav4 diesels, which i personally feel is a pity. anyhow, was not prepared to cough up the more than $40k needed to buy the new rav4s.

 

On 1/16/2020 at 9:27 AM, Talbit said:

I didn't know they continued with the diesels into 2018. The new engine you mentioned might be ok especially that there have been no comments on this forum. But the 2AD-FTV certainly has the oil  consumption issue. My salesman said they don't do the diesels anymore because they weren't popular which is rubbish. The reason was is because it's a lemon.

Talbit

the 2ad-ftv was used from 2013 to 2015. the 2ad-fhv from 2016 to 2018. i have come across only 1 example of a 2018 diesel in the melbourne area - most of the late rav4 diesels seem to be in the less populated states like western australia and south australia, and in regional areas.

in my search for a rav4 so far, i am finding the petrol models far more common - i'd estimate about 10 petrol for every 1 diesel, so good diesel examples are hard to find. i'd look at the prados, but don't need that size of car and don't want to be lugging all of that heft around for no good reason. also, good used examples of prados are upwards of $40k, which is a lot to pay for something i do not need.

would be nice to have a good solution to this oil drinking problem - my decision-making would be far easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark. I don't want to start repeating what has already been said but the worst case was Jennifer "Upsetwithtoyota".

The head gasket issue is as far as I can tell not related to the oil consumption issue.

I can't find the link to the head gasket article but will be able to post it later next week. I'm on the road at the moment.

The reason I still have the diesel is because the dealer only offered $11,000 as a trade on a C-HR. He said it has "issues" I said What issues? and they wouldn't say. This was after they did the head gasket job. I tried to sell it privately without success. I guess I was asking too much. So I thought Blow it I'll just keep it. It's running fine at the moment but my guess is the oil problem will still be there. The head gasket blew at about the 120,000klm 6 year mark.

I can't comment on the later models but I'd steer clear of the 2013 model with the 2AD-FTV engine.

There is no cure to the oil problem.

Cheers

Talbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark,

Try here for the thing I found on the head gasket

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/13-01-01_faq_ad-engine_eng.htm

or find attached the same thing as a word document (the formatting might be a little messed up). I'm still not sure where I found it but I think it might have been from a link to a European forum. It certainly refers to the diesel engine in question. Look down the bottom under Experience.

I'd really like to know how many others there have been in Australia.

Mine is going fine at the moment. Still not worth flogging it off, especially when I'll get nothing for it.

Cheers

Talbit

Toyota-club.net.docx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...