Rav4 2AD-FTV Turbo Diesel Excessive Oil Consumption

GT1978

Talbit, no with the synthetic, it used 800ml in 3600 km, I viewed the form they fill out for toyota, they also ask what sort of driving is done. I think if you put them into a corner they really have limited options. Its like dealing witha payout for car insurance, you just have to not accept no for an answer. Apparently a book of instructions came with the rebuild. And we waited about 6 weeks for them to get the so called parts list. Us phoning every week and pushing mind you. The manager gave me insight of the issues they face with getting paid from toyota so probably that is why you get resistance from some dealers when they are dealing with something different.

Thats my thoughts, will keep you updated with rebuild results.

G

Grant,

Thanks for the feedback. 800ml in 3,600 km is a lot, probably one of the highest we've seen in this forum. It appears as though there are now two forum members who have had the rebuild and one who is still waiting (Jennifer). I'm sure there are many others who are not on this forum. If I decide to do the big push for the rebuild I might ask for your dealers name and any contacts at Toyota Australia. I'm not sure if they'd appreciate a letter to head office complaining of bad customer service.

Talbit

Grant,

Thanks for the feedback. 800ml in 3,600 km is a lot, probably one of the highest we've seen in this forum. It appears as though there are now two forum members who have had the rebuild and one who is still waiting (Jennifer). I'm sure there are many others who are not on this forum. If I decide to do the big push for the rebuild I might ask for your dealers name and any contacts at Toyota Australia. I'm not sure if they'd appreciate a letter to head office complaining of bad customer service.

Talbit

No probs mate we got the rebuild put on invoice so we had evidence. They were reluctant to do that lol

Grant

To all members who have had a fully synthetic oil installed by Toyota. It seems some have had synthetic oil installed with no improvement in the excess oil consumption.

I'm keen to know what the brand and grade of synthetic oil has been used. It might be written on your last service invoice. At my 10,000klm service they installed "Toyota TGMO 10W-30 SM" and I was losing oil. According to Google, this is a "mineral" oil. Toyota have now filled mine with "Caltex Havoline SIN 5W-30" at my 20,000klm service. At this stage, my oil level is remaining steady. Caltex recommend this oil for our RAV4's. Another fellow I met up with has had the same synthetic oil installed during his first service without speaking to Toyota about the oil loss issue. He has his serviced at the same dealer as me.

To be honest, I'd be surprized if this change will make a difference but I guess we can hope for the best.

Cheers

Talbit

• 3 weeks later...

The synthetic oil they were using in my rav was vavoline synpower env c2.5 w30 ( this of course didn't solve my oil consumption problem and every 5000 ks I would run out of oil completely).

Update: I have my rav back ( finally!).

The rebuild took 3 months to complete, so far I have incurred no issues.

I'm now getting roughly 750-800 ks a tank of fuel ( before I was lucky if I got 650).

They broke my side wind shield while it was in the workshop so I'm waiting on a replacement for this.

I have asked for a copy of the repairs and was told it has not been invoiced yet to Toyota ( I won't forget and will chase this up and obtain one for our records).

I will keep you all updated.

The last 6 months were very stressful as I literally had to fight tooth and nail to get anything done, let's hope i have no more excessive oil consumption now the rebuild is complete.

Merry Christmas :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

An update from my side. Toyota ( the dealer) reworked on my Diesel engine RAV 4 2013 model AWD Cruiser model at the end of November last year. They replaced piston, gasket etc etc... A long list. The engine was put down for about 5 working days. When I got back my car, I was warned to be gentle with the acceleration as the reworked engines are like new ones. There was one more problem. The gasket was not properly fixed resulting in the minor external oil leak (I noticed at the bottom of the car). They recalled the car and replaced the gasket with a new one. So far I have done about 8000 km after it was reworked. No sign of excessive oil use. The economy is best ever achieved so far with all my drive all the time in Melbourne suburbs and City. I am happy with the reworked engine with the oil consumption level.

Toyota dealer always gave me courtesy car in two of these occasions. I think it was worth to replace the piston. Any comments and suggestions?

Robin,

Thanks for getting back to the forum with your encouraging report. So far it seems that the rebuild is doing the trick. I think up to date there are about 4 rebuilt engines with owners saying they are happy so far. Can you tell us if you got a lot of oposition from your dealer or was he happy to go ahead and do the rebuild?

Cheers

Talbit

I have a 2013 rav4 turbo diesel cruiser.

owned new since Sept 2013.

Oil light has gone on twice since I've had it. My wife rang the local toyota dealer, just to check if we using the right oil. They said that doesn't sound right and to bring it in.

Wife got home and informed me car will be off the road for 8-10 days, needs head and pistons replaced. They ringing us back tomorrow to see if Toyota Australia will give us a loan car.

I'm not friggin happy my newish car with only 15000km, needs this major work done at such an early time.

Seems like toyota knew of this problem even before I laid down 50k cash on this lemon. If they said "maybe within a year you need your head and pistons replaced and be off the road for 2weeks, I would never have departed worth my hard earn cash

Rant over

I have a 2013 rav4 turbo diesel cruiser.

owned new since Sept 2013.

Oil light has gone on twice since I've had it. My wife rang the local toyota dealer, just to check if we using the right oil. They said that doesn't sound right and to bring it in.

Wife got home and informed me car will be off the road for 8-10 days, needs head and pistons replaced. They ringing us back tomorrow to see if Toyota Australia will give us a loan car.

I'm not friggin happy my newish car with only 15000km, needs this major work done at such an early time.

Seems like toyota knew of this problem even before I laid down 50k cash on this lemon. If they said "maybe within a year you need your head and pistons replaced and be off the road for 2weeks, I would never have departed worth my hard earn cash

Rant over

Newbie: you did well getting the dealership to agree on an engine overhaul so fast, it took me 6 months to get them to do mine and with them saying 2 weeks for repairs yeah good luck with that as it took 3 months for them to rebuild mine.

First they have to pull the motor out then measure the parts then order them and then put most of it back together and then they measure the head gasket and order that and on and on.

All I did was fight and fight to get them to repair mine.

They know there is an issue with the diesel 13 ravs as a lot of us have had rebuilds and some are still fighting to get their car fixed.

What really annoyed me was the fact that they were only prepared to buy my then 6 month old rav with driving lights and accs added and a $4000 bull bar ( which new cost me about $43,000) for $21,000, yep $21,000 to take their (@@@@@@) up car back, I told them where to shove their $21,000 I tell you.

Update: it's been a month now since I got my rav back and so far I have no drop in my oil, I've noticed the steering is a little off balance so I will bring that up with them next service.

I finally got a new oil cover ( waited more than 5 months for that one) and I'm waiting on a replacement wind shield as they broke it while in the shop.

Fuel economy is better than before the rebuild.

I'm still waiting on my paper work for the rebuild and will chase that up this week, I personally think they don't want to provide it but it's my right to keep it and will need it should I ever decide to sell.

I think the guy at the dealership had the hots for my wife, she also work next door to them.

The service manager said he never heard of the problem, but the mechanics out the back knew of it and have done 2 rebuilds.

I also found this

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/lemon-laws-protect-you-18502#.VLeHb8s5fqD

I'm going to check into that tomorrow

H4RD,

Welcome to the forum and for telling us your story and please rant as much as you like !!!. Please keep reporting back with your progress. What makes you think that Toyota was aware of this issue in 2013? Do you have any evidence for this? For the service manager to say that he has never heard of the problem is a disgrace but is also their normal response! There is at least one service alert relating to this issue that he should have been aware of. I'm sure there are many others that we aren't aware of! Your comments are valuable. So your dealers' mechanics have done two rebuilds already? Now that's interesting! If they'd told me that I would need to keep topping up the oil within the service period then I certainly wouldn't have bought the car. No one would have bought the car !!

Jennifer... My oil level is just at the bottom mark now at 27,200klm. So I'm expecting the light to come on at any minute although I don't think I'll wait until then. I'm not sure how much lower it needs to be before the oil light will come on.

Cheers

Talbit.

I've counted 5 members who have had a rebuild and if you include the 2 more that H4RD mentioned then that makes 7 in total.

Anyone want to check my figures?

Welshpomie, Upsetwithtoyota, Robinsingh, H4RD, gj1965, with Sagewood selling his back to the dealer.

My guess is there are many others who have noted the issue and probably many who have had a rebuild but are not on this forum.

I've counted 5 members who have had a rebuild and if you include the 2 more that H4RD mentioned then that makes 7 in total.

Anyone want to check my figures?

Welshpomie, Upsetwithtoyota, Robinsingh, H4RD, gj1965, with Sagewood selling his back to the dealer.

My guess is there are many others who have noted the issue and probably many who have had a rebuild but are not on this forum.

Well.... As most of you know my engine was rebuilt last month, it was checked 2 days ago with no oil missing. Well this afternoon my husband went to pick up our son and got 10 minutes down the road and guess what " the fricken oil light came on again, oil checked, no oil!

I've done about 5000ks.

I thought I smelt the oil burning smell yesterday but assured myself all would be okay as they put the new rings and pistons and head gasket in, how wrong I was.

This is the same as before my rebuild, every 5000 ks I run out of oil.

The rebuild I believe has done squat.

So Monday unless they can find an oil leak I'm demanding a brand new non rav vehicle and compensation for my bullbar and driving lights.

Oh and I just lost my job as I was not able to attend work again due to this car so they are really going to hear it from me Monday.

Not happy not happy one bit.

@Upsetwithtoyota please let us know how you go on Monday.

I did call the ACCC regarding the lemon law about new cars and if this situation would fall under the new lemon laws. He said he can't give legal advise, but said if I knew about the issue would I have brought the car? I said no, and he said the next step it to contact the dealer and request a full refund or a vehicle equal to the value. He did record my details and make and model of vehicle and engine.

I also spoke to Toyota Australia. The person I spoke to didn't know about the issue, however the guy seem genuinely surprised that he didn't know about this technical bulletin. So he got my vehicle details and supposedly going to do a full check from the start of manufacturing to delivery of my rav4 and are going to contact me.

@Upsetwithtoyota, if they don't find an oil leak, mention you called the ACCC and you believe this issue falls under the lemon law and you want a full refund or a car of equal value. That's what I'm going to do if you let us know if it's not an oil leak and the repair failed.

@Upsetwithtoyota please let us know how you go on Monday.

I did call the ACCC regarding the lemon law about new cars and if this situation would fall under the new lemon laws. He said he can't give legal advise, but said if I knew about the issue would I have brought the car? I said no, and he said the next step it to contact the dealer and request a full refund or a vehicle equal to the value. He did record my details and make and model of vehicle and engine.

I also spoke to Toyota Australia. The person I spoke to didn't know about the issue, however the guy seem genuinely surprised that he didn't know about this technical bulletin. So he got my vehicle details and supposedly going to do a full check from the start of manufacturing to delivery of my rav4 and are going to contact me.

@Upsetwithtoyota, if they don't find an oil leak, mention you called the ACCC and you believe this issue falls under the lemon law and you want a full refund or a car of equal value. That's what I'm going to do if you let us know if it's not an oil leak and the repair failed.

Jennifer,

That's extremely disappointing to say the least. It's thrown a spanner in the works. I wish the others would report back with their results. Anyway, hang in there. All we can do is offer our encouragement.

I wonder how @Upsetwithtoyota got on work her dealer... Mine has come back and said Toyota Australia had agreed to a loan car.. just waiting now for a date to book in the engine build

I took mine into the dealer today. 27,400 klm and it was below the low mark. I didn't wait for the oil light to come on. The service manager noted the low level (fourth time now) and said he will submit the info to Toyota Australia. He said he was aware of the issue but that he wasn't aware of the TNF58/14! Where are all the others who have had the rebuild? They must be happy. I'm going to wait until Jennifer gets back onto the forum. She's pretty pee'd off at the moment and rightly so!

• Like 1

I wish I had better news to tell you all but I don't.

After a long and very trying day I'm here to fill you all in.

The rebuild did nothing and my car is still using excessive oil ( ran out this time completely after 5000ks).

The dealership in scone today told me they had to ring toyota for further instructions and I told them no according to the lemon law ( which I had printed and took with me) says that it's the dealership at fault not the toyota company and the dealership must refund your vehicle price or replace your vehicle with another one of same value when major defects are found and they then must fight toyota for any costs not trail us along.

So they sent me to my dealership which is muswellbrook.

Muswellbrook a manager said he would ring around and get back to me.

The new car manager saw me and said my warrenty Was now void as I have a non toyota bullbar on my car.

Now toyota don't make bull bars for the ravs only nudge bars.

I told him when I brought the car that the salesman told me where to go to get my bullbar ( which by the way is an expensive tough brand bullbar and professionally made for the rav).

He gave me such a story that I started to believe him.

He promised to give me a brand new triton for the same value and keep the same repayments.

But..

After applying for finance to end one contract and start another ( which I didn't sign) I noticed the paperwork.

They were trying to charge me $39,000 for a $32,000 triton and adding the extra $7000 onto my trade in price so it looked like I was getting more for my trade in.

I left very confused, used and ****** off!

After coming home I learnt he was full of poo ( to put it politely) and simply tried to con me by making me think my bull bar had voided my warrenty so they could handle this without warrenty involved.

Long story short I'm consulting my solicitor tomorrow to take the dealership to court along with suing for damages for stess and loss of income.

I can no longer deal with these lying cheats and the stress is beginning to take it's toll on me.

They tried to say my bullbar was preventing circulation in my motor therefore causing the excessive oil consumption.

I said that's funny we all must have big bull bars on the forum to all have the same dramas.

I highly recommend you read the lemon law ( google it).

We have the right to demand our money back or a new car and they know it.

Tomorrow I'm calling the accc and department if fair trading.

If you would like to be included in the law suit please let me know and I will get my solicitor to email you.

Enough is enough.

Toyota it's time you stopped selling lemons and make things right.