Rav4 2AD-FTV Turbo Diesel Excessive Oil Consumption

GT1978

Your warranty is now void !!! What a load of rubbish. There is absolutely no way they can use that as a
reason for your excessive oil consumption. NO WAY !!! This is B.S. at its best
and a classic example of how they try and bluff the customer.

Just updating you all on my rav.

Today we spent hours at the dealership demanding something be done, we also voiced our opinion on the fact that they were trying to rip us off ( again).

Long story short they refused to redund the purchase price of the rav and said Toyota would agree to a new motor being installed, we said you rebuilt it and that didn't work so we won't agree to that.

We argued and argued and eventually they came close to my payout figure and we sold the rav back to them.

Of course I'm out of pocket by $3000 however I feel I'm okay with this as I now don't have to deal with Toyota !

We brought a new triton dual cab ute today and are pleased Toyota and their lemon rav are out of our lives for ever.

Use the statements in the lemon law, we did ( my husband did I should say).

I just sat and cried as I couldn't take the stress of any of this anymore.

Keep fighting and I'll keep watching here to see how you all get on.

Oh and we proved the bull bar excuse to be false, the only way they could use my bullbar to void my warranty was to prove this had caused my oil consumption which we all know isn't the case.

The manager did say today that Toyota know there is an issue and will often wipe their hands of you unless you take them to the fair trading and fight them via them.

I'm glad it's resolved.

I wonder if it makes a

difference between upsetwithtoyota and mine is that upsetwithtoyota had had a rebuild and fail, and mine hasn't had a rebuild yet. Suppose I can't do anything till the rebuild fails

I just pity the poor blighter who buys Jennifer's lemon! And it definitely was a lemon - it seems to have the worst oil consumption of all. Surely the dealer must be held responsible for fraud if he fails to tell the new buyer it's a dud.

H4RD - you are right. We can't do much until we take the offer of the rebuild and go through the same drama as Jennifer. Do we travel the same path, fight them in court or just live with it.

It's interesting to note that although Toyota is aware of the issue, I bet they aren't telling their new customers of this issue. Is that fraudulent?

Extra. I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he contacted Toyota on my particular case and he told me that although Toyota might agree to a rebuild, they can't guarantee it will fix it. Go figure.

Go into your dealership and ask to speak to the manager.

Tell him you believe you were sold a lemon.

Tell him you spoke to the ACCC and they have said that the dealership is at fault not Toyota.

Tell him you have evidence to support the fact that Toyota sold you this car fully knowing it had a major defect.

Tell him it's consumer law that he refund or replace your vehicle if it has a major fault.

Tell him if they refuse to fix this today then you will be taking them to department of fair trading.

My dealership manager said Toyota will try every trick in the book to get out of this and they will try wash their hands of you.

See Toyota isn't at fault not in the eyes of consumer law, the dealer is as he sold you a car to which you believed was exactly as they described and in full working order, it's not, it has a major fault and repairing it won't fix it.

Your dealership is obliged to repair your car and not run back to Toyota for approval ( they go back to Toyota first to cover their butts so they arnt out of pocket as they know how difficult Toyota can be paying them).

Tell them you will take them to a/ affair and bring with them the 15 other people on this forum and file a class action law suit.

Print off the lemon law, read it, study it, so you know your rights, I even took it with me to show them.

It says on that law that they have 30 days I think in which to fix your car ( something like that).

It's the dealership who must fix this, they are at fault and they are the ones fair trading will fight ( of course the dealership will then bring Toyota into it).

If it goes to fair trading, the fight gets ugly, they look bad and stand to loose their licence, so they don't want to go there trust me.

If all else fails ring fair trading and fight them.

If you can't get a refund, tell them you don't want the rebuild, tell them you brought a new car with a new motor and your dammed if they are going to change that new motor to a reconditioned one ( as basically it is).

I would however advise you stand your ground for a FULL refund and walk away from Toyota.

Our manager at first said he couldn't do anything but my husband kept throwing the laws at him, the statements from the lemon law.

We said in the end look mate we want to work with you not against you so how about you work with us.

I told him if this goes to ac affair your sales will drop, your reputation will be tarnished as people trust your company.

If we took them to fair trading I would have got my refund in full but I told my husband to take the deal we eventually agreed in as I just wanted to be done with that company ( my husband wanted to fight them, fight them all the way but it's my car so he let me have it my way).

You do not have to take what they offer you and you do not have to wait until the motor is rebuilt to then fight them again.

We have rights and they can no longer pass the buck.

It's time you all went in there and said this is the first step, the next step is court action via the fair trading and it will be your dealership we fight not Toyota.

Toyota will blame the dealership as the dealership sold you the car and will find them negligent.

Extra. I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he contacted Toyota on my particular case and he told me that although Toyota might agree to a rebuild, they can't guarantee it will fix it. Go figure.

Don't agree to a rebuild. Tell them they sold you a lemon and the ACCC said to demand a full refund.

Tell them this is a wide spread problem which Toyota are choosing to ignore.

I just pity the poor blighter who buys Jennifer's lemon! And it definitely was a lemon - it seems to have the worst oil consumption of all. Surely the dealer must be held responsible for fraud if he fails to tell the new buyer it's a dud.

H4RD - you are right. We can't do much until we take the offer of the rebuild and go through the same drama as Jennifer. Do we travel the same path, fight them in court or just live with it.

It's interesting to note that although Toyota is aware of the issue, I bet they aren't telling their new customers of this issue. Is that fraudulent?

I doubt they will sell my rav, I reckon they will send it back claiming it's faulty and get a refund from Toyota ( my husband is sure of it, as they offered $21,000 trade in but after fighting we got them up to $27,680)

Oh I have genuine black rubber front and back floor mats and a genuine black rubber cargo mat for this rav.

The bastards are not getting these as they were extras which cost a fair amount of money.

So as I have no need for them if any one lives near newcastle or can get them freighted I'm selling the lot for $100

From memory I paid $600 +

If anyone has had the rebuild or not and is interested contact me.

They are in excellent condition and are genuine Toyota products.

Hi All,

I've completed the 2AD-FTV Engine Oil Consumption procedure and still waiting for a answer from Toyota its been over a month now. My RAV used 800ml of oil in 3,720km (90% highway driving). Today I spoke again to my Toyota dealer and left another message. I also opened a case with ACCC to get the ball rolling. A letter is also in the mail to the dealer requesting a refund after speaking to ACCC. It should be a interesting month or two.

• 2 weeks later...

HI everybody .

its been a while since the last reply, i did say i would see how the next 10,000 after the first 4,000 service would go after the re-build sad to say it didnt work out the oil light came on again so after 14,000 after the rebuild it failed , so after reviewing the oil level from the begining of 18,000 to 70,000 i have had enough the motor is a lemon first it was Jennifers now mine so all those who think there is a light at the end of the tunnel by a rebuild ,well iam sorry its not going to be bright , so ****** off

HI everybody .

its been a while since the last reply, i did say i would see how the next 10,000 after the first 4,000 service would go after the re-build sad to say it didnt work out the oil light came on again so after 14,000 after the rebuild it failed , so after reviewing the oil level from the begining of 18,000 to 70,000 i have had enough the motor is a lemon first it was Jennifers now mine so all those who think there is a light at the end of the tunnel by a rebuild ,well iam sorry its not going to be bright , so ****** off

Open a case with the ACCC and demand a refund.

Toyota will now offer you a new motor which no doubt will be the same motor they originally put in it, demand a full refund.

I wish we stood our ground and fought but being 1.10 mins from town I needed a working car.

Edited by Upsetwithtoyota

Well I never thought I would say this but I'm wondering if it's all worth the hassle. Everyone's circumstance is different but...

1: I bought mine in Wollongong - not Canberra - so I recon I'd have a tough time sorting it out long distance.

2: Toyota could save themselves a lot of grief by offering a full free service - or at least a free scheduled oil check - at the halfway mark, i.e. 5K, 15K, 25K klm etc. This way the oil level could be kept at the correct level. Most owners would never know there is a problem. The owner would then pay for another full service at the 10K, 20K, 30K klm etc marks. Of course, this would be very inconvenient for the majority of people.

3: Or you could just fill it yourself when required.

But this won't satisfy those who have a real lemon like Jennifer and go empty inside a 5,000 klm period.

It's pretty clear that Toyota have no solution to this problem and are incapable of doing anything about it. My local dealer has said quite clearly that Toyota Australia can't guarantee the rebuild would fix the problem. The sad thing is that they are still selling this lemon knowing full well that it has this issue.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

Cheers

Talbit

• Like 1

Here's the issue - they know they've got a very troublesome engine in production and on sale and cannot afford to remove it from their line. All the while they're hoping that the rowdy masses (small masses) will disappear off quietly into the distance. It's exactly their best case scenario; a bad experience that perhaps Toyota in Japan can learn from, while dealerships aren't too much out of pocket for the issue to get 'fixed'.

I know what I'd be doing. If it were me in your position I'd be fighting them tooth and nail. You didn't pay all this money for a lemon and Toyota have no right to sell it to you in the condition it's in, straight out of the showroom.

For me it's a clear-cut case of taking it up with the ACCC and making Toyota incur the cost of their mistakes.

Update: my toyota dealer is willing to rebuild the engine after the letter requesting a full refund. I've spoken to ACCC and done more research about ACL section 260 'major failure' and section 259(1) what constitutes a 'major failure'. The ACCC discussion has reached the end of the line. I am now dealing with the Office of Fair Trading. The Office of Fair Trading has stated that my toyota dealer must be given the option to make good under the ACL and a 'major failure' point section 259(1)(a) "the goods would not have been acquired by a reasonable consumer full acquainted with the nature and extent of the failure" at this point doesnt constitute as a 'major failure'. This is because the toyota hasnt issue a recall and the solution put forward is rebuild the engine. Fair Trading gave me two options (1) take this to my lawyer at my cost or (2) let my dealer try and "make good" if the rebuild fails than at this point it could be considered a 'major failure'. But must be tested under the law. Again my dealer does not have to refund according to Fair Trading and then we go to mediation. If my dealer still doesnt provide a full refund we go to small claims court at my cost. The ACT offers a free 15 minute legal session during lunch hours, i am booked in next week seeking legal advise. I believe a engine rebuild by default is a 'major failure' this is what i will be questioning.

My question to the people with engine rebuilds how long does it take before you see oil consumption problems again?

The members who have rebuilds with no luck have you spoken to your Office of Fair Trading about a full refund?

Depending on how next week goes with the legal advise session and the fact i have to take this up with the dealer, did anyone else purchase from Canberra Toyota?

Edited by blacktux
  • Like 1

I had the rebuild and my oil ran out completely after 5000 ks.

I didn't want to fight them so in the end we traded it in.

We lost money as I was given $27,600 trade in ( and we had to fight like hell to get that amount).

Toyota know it will cost us a lot of money to fight them ( yes we might win in the end but is it worth it?)

I'm interested to hear how you get on.

I'm very disappointed that I lost a lot of money, it was my first brand new car and Toyota ruined that for me.

Now I have a ute, a good ute with no oil consumption problems but I don't have the reverse camera or the auto gearbox ( which by the I'm still adjusting to driving a manual again after years of driving an auto).

You have to weigh up the costs, is it worth it to fight them? Can you get a class action law suit happening? Can we who have traded get in on it? Having lost money due owning a rav?

I would love to know what happens so please keep me informed.

I everyone .

After the rebuild which was 56,000 we had a service at 60,000 so any oil consumed was very little if any as stated before xmas so looking at the dipstick nothing really changed untill after the 68,000 and the demise of the oil started dropping off and just before 70,000 the oil light came on to start the nightmare all over again . now waiting to see what the dealership intends to do .

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 2013 RAV4 GXL 2.2L diesel turbo and it used about 1 litre in the first 8,000klm. It

was checked by Toyota at the 1,000klm mark so it lost it in 7,000klm. The oil

light came on and I had to put in about a litre. It's just had it's first

service today (at 9,900klm). They said they couldn't find anything wrong. They

say they are not aware of anyone else reporting this so as far as I'm concerned, there is a problem with my car. The manager said he'd get onto the Toyoata head office and see if they have an alert out and that he'd email me the answer. He showed me a Toyota notice that said that the Landcruiser could lose 1 litre in 10,000klm but that is under towing conditions or when it's working

hard. But my RAV4 rarely has more than two people in it and certainly doesn't

do any heavy work. This is a new car! I've got a petrol Camry that's 15 years

old and it doesn't use any oil at all. To say that this new RAV4 should be expected

to lose some oil is nonsense. The fact that it uses a thin synthetic oil might be a clue. I'd be interested to see what other people think.

I too have a 2013 Rav4 GXL Diesel 2.2. Just before its 40k service (Sep 14) the oil warning light came on going uphill. I dipped the oil and found it was showing its lowest marker level. I mentioned this at the time of the service (done at home) and the mechanic said he would note the matter in his inspection report. I received a call the following day from the service manager at City Toyota, Perth who informed me my car was one of a batch which had been identified as having been fitted with defective piston rings. The dealer took the car for a week and stripped the engine down fitting new rings. When I collected the car I raised concerns about the problem recurring. I was assured this would not be the case. The service assistant told me there had been a similar problem with FJ Cruisers when they first came out and none of those which had been repaired had come back. Well today the oil light came on again going up the same hill! I dipped the oil and again it was showing its lowest level on the dip stick. The car is already booked in for its 50K service in five days time so I await with interest what the reaction to the fault is going to be this time. I shall update once the service is done. Over the years this is my seventh Toyota and the only one I have ever had any problems with.

Update: my toyota dealer is willing to rebuild the engine after the letter requesting a full refund. I've spoken to ACCC and done more research about ACL section 260 'major failure' and section 259(1) what constitutes a 'major failure'. The ACCC discussion has reached the end of the line. I am now dealing with the Office of Fair Trading. The Office of Fair Trading has stated that my toyota dealer must be given the option to make good under the ACL and a 'major failure' point section 259(1)(a) "the goods would not have been acquired by a reasonable consumer full acquainted with the nature and extent of the failure" at this point doesnt constitute as a 'major failure'. This is because the toyota hasnt issue a recall and the solution put forward is rebuild the engine. Fair Trading gave me two options (1) take this to my lawyer at my cost or (2) let my dealer try and "make good" if the rebuild fails than at this point it could be considered a 'major failure'. But must be tested under the law. Again my dealer does not have to refund according to Fair Trading and then we go to mediation. If my dealer still doesnt provide a full refund we go to small claims court at my cost. The ACT offers a free 15 minute legal session during lunch hours, i am booked in next week seeking legal advise. I believe a engine rebuild by default is a 'major failure' this is what i will be questioning.

My question to the people with engine rebuilds how long does it take before you see oil consumption problems again?

The members who have rebuilds with no luck have you spoken to your Office of Fair Trading about a full refund?

Depending on how next week goes with the legal advise session and the fact i have to take this up with the dealer, did anyone else purchase from Canberra Toyota?

Yesterday in my free 15 minutes with the ACT Law Society I spoke with a lawyer from Maurice Blackburn. I was told the issue is with testing the definition "Major Failure" in court. We also have two options to follow Australian Consumer Law and Contract Law (breach of contract). My rebuild is schedule soon, just waiting on parts.

Has anyone gone for a second or third rebuild yet?

• Like 1

HI Colin and every one else do your self's a favour and off load your RAV because the rebuild does not work , my options were 1 a new motor 2 carry on as normal and service department would give a bottle of oil after shedule service to make it to the next service 3 off load the RAV . I asked the question has the new motor (2014) been modified to prevent the oil from burning Manager's answer no so whats the point of a new motor , there is no fix to this issue Like Jennifer i have got rid of my RAV All the best to you all Bryan