Rav4 2AD-FTV Turbo Diesel Excessive Oil Consumption

GT1978

HI Colin and every one else do your self's a favour and off load your RAV because the rebuild does not work , my options were 1 a new motor 2 carry on as normal and service department would give a bottle of oil after shedule service to make it to the next service 3 off load the RAV . I asked the question has the new motor (2014) been modified to prevent the oil from burning Manager's answer no so whats the point of a new motor , there is no fix to this issue Like Jennifer i have got rid of my RAV All the best to you all Bryan

Did you trade it in? Mind if I ask what they gave you?

I do not miss the rav one bit.

HI Colin and every one else do your self's a favour and off load your RAV because the rebuild does not work , my options were 1 a new motor 2 carry on as normal and service department would give a bottle of oil after shedule service to make it to the next service 3 off load the RAV . I asked the question has the new motor (2014) been modified to prevent the oil from burning Manager's answer no so whats the point of a new motor , there is no fix to this issue Like Jennifer i have got rid of my RAV All the best to you all Bryan

I understand and respect your discussion but I am going to see this out. My extended warranty doesnt run out until 2021 / 175,000 km.

Whoops. Looks like I've been a naughty boy! I started a new topic today on the Rav4 saying it was a lemon and linked it to this post but it seems I'm not allowed to do that. So you won't find it anywhere. Sorry. I did notice though when Googling "Rav4 oil consumption" it can take you to other places and not to this particular forum so maybe there are concerned owners not knowing about this forum. I actually ended up on the Toyotaownersclub UK forum and guess what: they had excessive oil consumption too but that was around 2009 so I don't know what's happened since then. Also, using Google to find this post doesn't always get you here.

I noticed the heading of this post has changed (for the better). I wonder how that happened. Maybe the moderator did it.

Cheers

Whoops. Looks like I've been a naughty boy! I started a new topic today on the Rav4 saying it was a lemon and linked it to this post but it seems I'm not allowed to do that. So you won't find it anywhere. Sorry. I did notice though when Googling "Rav4 oil consumption" it can take you to other places and not to this particular forum so maybe there are concerned owners not knowing about this forum. I actually ended up on the Toyotaownersclub UK forum and guess what: they had excessive oil consumption too but that was around 2009 so I don't know what's happened since then. Also, using Google to find this post doesn't always get you here.

I noticed the heading of this post has changed (for the better). I wonder how that happened. Maybe the moderator did it.

Cheers

Talbit, you were warned for spamming multiple threads. Just stick to the rules and there will be no further issues.

The thread name has been changed to make it easier to find. Keep all conversation regarding the matter in this thread(it will better help others). The other thread was removed as all it did was link to here.

Now, please stay on topic.

To those who have traded in your RAV4 lemon; did you trade it in at a Toyota dealership that was aware of the vehicle's history? Are you sure that Toyota is reselling the lemon?

well, mines back from the rebuild. 8 days turnaround.

They replace the pistons and rings. didn't touch the head like I thought they were going to. They tested the oil consumption over the weekend, and rechecked it on Monday. So now it's a waiting game for it to fail again.

• 3 weeks later...

To those who have traded in your RAV4 lemon; did you trade it in at a Toyota dealership that was aware of the vehicle's history? Are you sure that Toyota is reselling the lemon?

I saw mine at the Toyota dealership for sale, they traded it at $27,600 and said they would make a loss on it, the advertised sticker on it said $39,000 but a week later it was reduced to $34,000. They didn't fix it as it was in the yard for sale barely a week after I traded it in. Some poor bugger is going to get totally ripped off when they buy it.

The issue I found on legal action against Toyota; in court they will use the engine manufacture guidelines for oil consumption to determine what is 'normal'. I have spoken to someone in NRMA legal about this.

So if Toyota has published the RAV4 uses 250-300ml per 1,000km as 'normal' you have no case.

I haven't looked for what Toyota guidelines for motor is yet.

I haven't seen anywhere where Toyota has actually published a figure. It does say in my handbook that the vehicle is expected to consume some oil but doesn't place a figure on it. At my first 10,000 service when I made them aware of my concerns, they typed a figure on the invoice of "1ltr every 10,000km". I don't know where this figure came from - certainly not from a publication available to the public. I find this amount acceptable and as I've stated before, I'm willing to live with it. But if your oil light comes on twice in a 10,000 period after the level is started at the top mark - that's not acceptable. Other figures have been bandied around willy-nilly. In January this year my dealer emailed me a copy of "Customer Information - RAV4 Diesel Engine Oil Consumption". Ask your dealer for a copy. I don't know when this was first published. It refers specifically to the 2AD-FTV engine. I guess I could add it to this post but I need to check with the Forum administrator first. I could email it to anyone who wants a copy. But again it doesn't mention an actual figure. Just be careful if they eventually quote you a figure; ask them when it was first published. You need to be sure that they don't just come up with something to quote just for the sake of it.

I won't be going to my Toyota dealer anymore for services.

Jennifer - If they tell the new owner that it will require oil top-ups then I guess they've covered their backsides.

Cheers

Talbit

I guess I could add it to this post but I need to check with the Forum administrator first. I could email it to anyone who wants a copy.

Talbit

I would be happy to have a look at it, feel free to PM it to me. The main issue is if we breach any form of Copyright.

It seems we can't place the "Customer Information - RAV4 Diesel Engine Oil Consumption" mentioned above on this forum because of copyright issues. And I'm having a terror of a time sending it to Trent, the Super Moderator.

So get onto your dealer for a copy or if you get stuck send me a message here with your email address and I'll send it to you. But as I said before, it doesn't say all that much and it certainly doesn't place a figure on the acceptable consumption expected.

Talbit

Blacktux,

If Toyota say the "normal" consumption is 250-300ml per 1,000klm then that relates to 2.5 to 3 litres per 10,000klm. That's got to be excessive in anyone's book !!! I recon this is the consumption Jennifer was getting. Again, I haven't seen this figure actually published anywhere, but I think it might be a figure in the TFN58/14.

The TFN58/14 is a confidential internal document for Toyota dealers and is subject to copyright.

I'm not sure it it's TFN or TNF.

Talbit

• 2 months later...

I bought my 2013 RAV4 Diesel from a dealer in Adelaide.

First 25,000 kms were great.Then the oil problem started.

From 25,000 until 62,000,in between services,I put in 6 litres of oil.I complained to the dealer and eventually they decided to rebuild the engine with new pistons & rings,etc.I've had it back for 1 week,so I'll wait and see how it goes.

Checked my oil 2 days ago and found it was 2 litres overfull.Went back to the dealer and they drained it to the correct level.

Why was it overfilled in the first place?

JTSA,

Welcome to the forum. It's been pretty quiet lately. I think most people have given up and are willing to live with it. Have you read the entire forum? Quite a drama but you'll see from the forum members that the rebuilds don't work. The reason they overfilled it was because of two things, 1: They are incompetent and 2: they are hoping you don't notice and the light won't come on before the next service! But overfilling is an absolute No-No. You can do more damage than you'd want to think about.

Cheers and good luck.

Talbit

Thanks.

I've sent an email to Toyota asking them to extend the fixed price servicing to 120,000 kms,because of the rebuild.

What do you think my chances are?

Nil is the best answer, or another would be "Don't hold your breath!!!" But again, they might agree. They need your custom aspecially if you are paying for the service.

Did you have to fight them to get the rebuild? My dealer said they could do the rebuild but couldn't guarantee it would fix it.

Fills you with confidence doesn't it!

I'm up to 33,500klm now and I'll be putting about 500ml in soon. I can't see me reaching 100,000klm before my three years is up.

Talbit

Hi Talbit,

The dealer kept putting me off,but I kept going back when I had put oil in the engine.

Eventually they said we're going to take your car for 10 days and do a rebuild.They also gave me a loan Camry for that time at no cost.So now it's wait and see. I did check the oil level yesterday and even after they drained the excess a couple of days ago, the level was still 1/4 inch over the high mark.

You said that you doubted you will reach 100,000 in 3 years. Well I'll go close.

I know that the 120,000 service will cost $2,500 which is absolutely stupid and it's another reason that I want the fixed price servicing period extended.

John

• 1 month later...

hello, i'm a new comer to your site, i have been reading about excessive oil usage.My Rav 2014 model is also using too much oil, i had a warning light come on indicating low oil, when i checked it was almost empty.i put in a litre of oil.i have booked in for my 20,000 klm service this Friday, i will let you all know how i go,toyoya also said they had never heard of this before.!!!!!!!!

Hi Lyn,

Toyota not knowing about this problem is rubbish.

Why is it that so many owners are getting rebuilds by Toyota if they've never heard of the problem?

I checked my oil yesterday and found that it is halfway on the dipstick on a rebuilt engine.

The rebuild was done at 61,000 and it's now done 65,000. So the rebuild doesn't solve these problems.

Maybe we should ALL contact A Current Affair.

John

• Like 1