Rav4 2AD-FTV Turbo Diesel Excessive Oil Consumption

GT1978

Yes, definitely stay away from the diesel, in fact I'd never buy another Toyota diesel no matter what the model. I'd be interested to know what the sales person says about the new models. My guess is they'd say they weren't aware of any problems so it's no use asking !! If the service guy says the problem has been fixed in the new model then I'd be interested to know what they did to fix it. But getting an honest answer would be like getting blood out of a stone.

Cheers

Talbit

Ok, spoke to the service manager, and he advised that the diesel engines were upgraded in October 2013, and that all models afterwards should not have the oil consumption problems. Any thoughts?

Wouldnt touch it!

If they upgraded them in 2013 then why not upgrade the previous diesel to the same one and im pretty sure some people in here have the 14 model with the same issue?

Im so mad at toyota still for practically robbing me of over $10,000 and making me get into more debt by trading and buying another model.

If i can give you once piece of advice that would be "dont buy toyota".

They dont care about selling dodgy cars nor fixing them.

They ruined my first ever brand new car experience and ill never get that back..

hello, i'm a new comer to your site, i have been reading about excessive oil usage.My Rav 2014 model is also using too much oil, i had a warning light come on indicating low oil, when i checked it was almost empty.i put in a litre of oil.i have booked in for my 20,000 klm service this Friday, i will let you all know how i go,toyoya also said they had never heard of this before.!!!!!!!!

See the dealer was lying, he just wants a sale.

How can these people sleep at night knowing that sale will really affect the person buying.

I wouldn't believe them! To say that they have fixed the 2013 model onwards is rubbish. Don't touch it !!!

Can you ask him what was done to the new models. Remember, this is the sort of treatment we have been getting. Lies, all lies.

We need someone to come forward with a new model and tell us what it's like

Talbit

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a 18 month old Rav 4 for $22 thousand in 2009. A truly beautiful car to which in a recommended service Toyota informed us that the engine oil was sluggish and they recommended that it be cleaned.

I assumed they were going to use a solvent such as mineral oil, however in the next service there was water in the oil, and on inspecting the service report with the cleaning it appears that water was added to the engine compartment.

Toyota has been informed, of the above to which they just ... There is also a critical recall in USA for Toyota for excessive oil consumption. Thus the addition of water and the immediate consumption of oil may have been purely a coincidence.

Now according to the posted link this is not a new issue and is the subject of a class action in California, my VIN indicates that my Toyota is one of the many that burn excessive oil.

December 2012, about 6PM my Toyota RAV4 started Over heated. When my wife called me and reported the problem I went to look at the car. The oil was completely dried with about 1500 miles before the next schedule oil change. I towed the vehicle to Toyota dealer where they gave me an estimate of $ 4500 to fix it. They also told me to add every 2000 miles a quart of oil which I found ridicule and unprofessional. I took the car out and paid $3500 to fix it. I always mentioned the oil consumption to Toyota representative technician any time I take the car for oil change. No one never take my complaint in consideration.

We love to see you crying... oh any one interested in a class action lawsuit... let me know

http://www.consumerclasslawyersblog.com/2014/08/01/class-action-lawsuit-filed-toyota-oil-consumption-defect/

We bought a 18 month old Rav 4 for $22 thousand in 2009. A truly beautiful car to which in a recommended service Toyota informed us that the engine oil was sluggish and they recommended that it be cleaned.

I assumed they were going to use a solvent such as mineral oil, however in the next service there was water in the oil, and on inspecting the service report with the cleaning it appears that water was added to the engine compartment.

Toyota has been informed, of the above to which they just ... There is also a critical recall in USA for Toyota for excessive oil consumption. Thus the addition of water and the immediate consumption of oil may have been purely a coincidence.

Now according to the posted link this is not a new issue and is the subject of a class action in California, my VIN indicates that my Toyota is one of the many that burn excessive oil.

December 2012, about 6PM my Toyota RAV4 started Over heated. When my wife called me and reported the problem I went to look at the car. The oil was completely dried with about 1500 miles before the next schedule oil change. I towed the vehicle to Toyota dealer where they gave me an estimate of $ 4500 to fix it. They also told me to add every 2000 miles a quart of oil which I found ridicule and unprofessional. I took the car out and paid $3500 to fix it. I always mentioned the oil consumption to Toyota representative technician any time I take the car for oil change. No one never take my complaint in consideration.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/RAV4/2007/engine/excessive_oil_consumption.shtml

We love to see you crying... oh any one interested in a class action lawsuit... let me know

This is an Australian forum, you may have better luck with the US class action on the Toyota Nation forums.

Hi guys

Bought my rav4 Disel 2013 in may 2013. Like all of you my engine oil light came on within the first service. It's been almost 3 years and I still have the same issue. Excessive oil consumption 800-900ml within 5k. This is also after the rebuild/piston change!!

Now I've contacted Toyota and they refuse to take ownership. Have told me to go to the dealership(Canberra Philip Toyota) whom won't even return my call!

My next step was going to fair trade, but after reading this forum I feel like that won't change much either.

Can you guys help me out and let me know what was the outcome with your rav4s. What did you do? And what do you feel is the best thing moving forward. I haven't been offered a trade in? But should I just ask for one?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Forum members,

It's not like me not to respond. We need to keep this forum alive !!! I have been corresponding with Susuel privately which I guess is not what we should do.

Basically I said that we are just going to have to live with it. Susuel tackled his Canberra dealer and it seems that they might still be selling the diesel Rav4 still with the same problem unfixed. Criminal in my book. My question remains... Are they still selling the crook model and if not, what did they do to fix it. Maybe we'll never know.

I was listening to Tony Delroy on the ABC (Thursday nights) and the guy there was saying that the expertise for these issues is at the dealer level and not at Toyota headquarters in Melbourne. So basically, nothing will get done. They're only interersted in selling cars, not looking after the customer!

Cheers

Talbit

ps Keep this forum alive !!!

Hi Talbit,

I sent Toyota Australia an email on 10/9/15, enquiring about the oil usage issue.

I got a reply 8 days later, telling me "sorry, we can't answer technical questions like that".

I thought hang on, their supposed to be the TOP Toyota mob in Australia and they can't answer technical questions.

Maybe I should email the President of Toyota Japan and tell him of the poor service in Australia.

Cheers, John.

That's amazing, but what you'd expect from them. It's a wonder they didn't say "First we've heard of it".

Can you post the email address you used?

But at the end of the day, they don't want to be bothered by customer's problems. They want you to go through the dealers. And that's where the problems lay.

Cheers

Talbit

Thanks John, I won't bother with emailing them!

I went into my local dealer today in Fyshwick Canberra. First I asked the sales guy about the new 2015 diesel and Had they fixed the oil consumption problem? He said Yes they had.

I then asked What did they do to fix it and he said I'd better take you down to talk to the service manager.

He told me that Yes that had fixed the problem.

I said What did they do to fix it and basically he said they upgraded pistons and rings.

So I said What are you going to do about fixing my car. He said he will look into doing the engine rebuild.

So that's where I stand. No other forum member has reported 100% success so I'm reluctant to get it done but then again I can't complain if I don't try. He wants to have a closer look at the consumption sheet they asked me to fill out. I recon I'm well past that.

The bottom line is if I let it go, the oil light will definitely come on once and possibly twice during a service period.

A point he did make and what has been mentioned before in this forum... There are two warnings associated with the oil light. The first is "Engine Oil Low". If this warning comes on then it's still safe to drive the car for a short distance. The second is "Engine Oil Pressure Low". For obvious reasons you should not drive the car if this warning comes up. It's mentioned in the handbook on "Warning Messages" starting on page 428 in my book.

Cheers

Talbit

• 2 months later...

G'day I am a new member and have just purchased a 2014 RAV4 cruiser 46,000ks. By chance I ran into the previous owner who was very happy with the car but warned me about excessive oil use ( diesel model) . Having now read this seems a on going problem with this model has anyone got some good advise as what I should do

4 hours ago, Mick1965 said:

G'day I am a new member and have just purchased a 2014 RAV4 cruiser 46,000ks. By chance I ran into the previous owner who was very happy with the car but warned me about excessive oil use ( diesel model) . Having now read this seems a on going problem with this model has anyone got some good advise as what I should do

Sell it.

It seems nothing has changed with the rav its sad to say but sell it try and make as much as you can and don't look back if i had the money i would have done the same as the guy did with the jeep and stick it on u tube best of luck

I've had the rings replaced a while ago, they didn't do the heads.  And it seems to have fixed the problem.  I used 150mls in 5000kms.  

Hi if you go back to the early posts you will see a step by step after they rebuilt my motor at 56000 one advantage was it reached 69000 before it ran out of oil if your happy with your result and willing to top up before a service then that s your choice i am sad to say i wasn't considering it was a brand new SUV happy motoring

Hi all,

Have just been reading the latest SAMotor magazine from the RAA here in South Aus.

They have a new car review on the Kia Sorento which happens to have a 2.2 litre diesel engine.

I wonder if, in the future, they have the same oil issues that we are all having.

Thanks,

John.

10 hours ago, JTSA said:

Hi all,

Have just been reading the latest SAMotor magazine from the RAA here in South Aus.

They have a new car review on the Kia Sorento which happens to have a 2.2 litre diesel engine.

I wonder if, in the future, they have the same oil issues that we are all having.

Thanks,

John.

Why should it?  Kia uses Hyundai engines, not Toyota, and I highly doubt the problems the Rav4 has are somehow intrinsic to ALL 2.2L diesels....

• 3 weeks later...

New issue with the RAV4 2013, today the wife got Check AWD System, high temp, engine light and the car just stopped. Other Toyota forums reference the fuel cap is loose but I did check this. Luck the Toyota dealer was 3 blocks away, they run diagnostics and found nothing. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Nothing like that with me blacktux. We just did a drive to Perth. Same issue with the oil consumption. I took a supply with me. I waited for the oil light to come on just to see for sure. I won't bother with the rebuild. It's just not worth it. Before our Perth trip I spoke to another dealer that's opened up near me. Firstly he said Toyota agreed to do the rebuild then he came back and said because he's a different dealer, they wanted to restart the oil consumption check sheet again. He said he'd do the rebuild but I'd still have to top it up between services, so what's the point. It's not enough for the oil light to come on!

Cheers

Talbit

• 2 weeks later...

Have a 2007 rav4 which uses about 1.5 - 2 litres oil in about 3000 km. Apparently overseas this engine is having the same problem. I spoke today to a guy at Toyota in the service department who tried telling me it is only in the diesel model... I explained there was no diesel model in 2007, to which he then deflected my query by informing me that my JAPANESE MANUFACTURED CAR has an Australian manufactured engine.....  :-/ 

Welcome to the forum which is getting very quiet. I think most people have given up with Toyota. So is yours a diesel or petrol? As far as we know it's only this particular 2AD-FTV diesel model which has the problem. See if you can find your vehicle manufacturing sticker (probably located on the door post) and see what your engine model is. 2 litres in 3000klm is a lot and there is definitely something wrong but my guess it's a different issue.

Cheers

Talbit

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 8:18 PM, blacktux said:

New issue with the RAV4 2013, today the wife got Check AWD System, high temp, engine light and the car just stopped. Other Toyota forums reference the fuel cap is loose but I did check this. Luck the Toyota dealer was 3 blocks away, they run diagnostics and found nothing. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Again the same thing happened twice in one day. Fuel cap wasn't loose. Has anyone else seen this?