Want to install audio system with $700.

Tbone

Hi all!

My first post here. Im a newbie to car and audio system. So could you guys please suggest me what I can get with that budget? I want to get subs, amp, and Im still not sure whether or not to buy a headunit. What do u guys reckon?

Thanks!

This all comes down to your desired result.

You can get subs and amps within that budget, but how about cabin speakers? are you running stock or looking at after market?

Sorry to say, but with any major mod (stereo, xorst, etc) it isn't just one thing that needs to be looked at.

I can only suggest looking at a whole package, otherwise you might not be happy with the outcome.

/2 cents

One thing I wish I did when I upgraded the stereo in my first car was look into second hand prices. Audio gear depeciates worse than an American car. Once it's been used it's only worth about 25% of retail price, so don't be afraid to check out Chashies or other second hand places (hopefully not stolen gear). The head unit isn't nessesary if you are amping the system (which you will need to do if running subs). With subs, ignore the peak watt figure as it's a meaningless figure, look for the RMS figure. You don't need to see huge watt RMS numbers to get a decent system, just keep an eye out on the impedance as an impedance difference can cause issues.

I got plenty of sound of of my setup with 4x100w speakers, 1x1000w sub, 4x100w amp and a 2x200w amp. That was pretty expensive 8 years ago, now that would be pretty cheap I assume, less so if buying used.

• 4 weeks later...

$700 is enough for a good system.

Don't make the mistake I made by getting a sub without new speakers & headunit. (DAT BASS)

SuperDave is right on the money; cashies is a goldmine for audio equipment. My mate scored a $300 amp for $120 lol.

I got all my gear from JB HI-FI because they were having a ridiculous stocktake sale.

I'd recommend:

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/sub-woofers/cadence/600-watt-sub-amp-combo-sku-52575/

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/speakers/kicker/6x9-speakers-sku-96683/ (rear)

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/speakers/alpine/6-inch-speakers-sku-69744/ (front)

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/mp3-cd-tuners/sony/208-watt-mp3-cd-tuner-with-ipod-usb-sku-66599/

You should be able to get $10+ off the RRP so it'd end up being around your budget + wiring etc. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

i bought a unit of this site www.turbopc.com.au , which has everything for my aurion. 50w x4 , pre outs, dvt tv, bluetooth, dvd, ipod connection which i have in the glove box, brilliant. just got one for the wifes corolla. everyone is well impressed when they see it and best of all i dont need the wife to navigate anymore with the built in sat nav, and lets face it we know thats worth a getting by its self. i use to buy alpine units, but now i ll just get them from these guys.