Australian price announced

450HP/tonne

I'm still trying to decide on this one. Part of me really loves the feel of this car, but the other part of me just doesn't want to let go of the TRD.

i wonder how soon the first one will get written off by a p plater.

at the starting price, i can see a lot of 'youngins' getting one.

i wonder if they'll eventually become the "bogan" car as well...

i hope not.

great on toyota for making it affordable, but i just see the downside of it. :(

TOYOTA 86 ON SALE IN AUSTRALIA

Toyota Australia has confirmed that its return to the world of rear-wheel-drive sports cars will start at $29,990.

Announced today at the Australian lauch of the new 86 coupe, buyers will have two options: the $29,990 entry-level GT, and the top-shelf GTS, at $35,490.

"The 86 is meant to be enjoyed by as many driving enthusiasts as possible, and our pricing will extend its appeal to people who never imagined they could afford such a fun car," Toyota Australia's Matthew Callachor said.

Note: TMR's Tony O'Kane is at today's launch event, watch for his full review this week.

On price, the 86's closest sports rivals in Australia are a largely front-wheel affair, including the $23,390 Cerato Koup, $23,990 Veloster (the Turbo model is on the way), $34,990 CR-Z, $38,990 Golf GTI, Mazda's $39,490 3 MPS, and Subaru's $39,990 WRX.

Other sub-$50k rivals include the Mazda MX-5 (the standout rear-wheel-drive alternative here), Megane RS 250, the Scirocco R, the Lancer Ralliart, the MINI Cooper S and the upcoming Focus ST.

29,990. although its a very reasonable price. there is always a reason why its cheap. i'm thinking perhaps the build quality wont be as good...

the spotivo was 29,990 and that was 6 years ago when the last one was sold. coming from south africa = build quality on some was up the sh#t. not to mention the panels are ever so slightly different to the 1zz corollas sourced from japan.

not saying that the FT86 will follow the same but just a heads up before u dive into an impulse buy.

That's a nice bit of ammo to use against the people who constantly whinged that it would never be $30k...

*hand up* guilty as charged

Totally changed my plans for buying a daily later this year. Handful of dollars more than a Golf, similar spec, and oodles of fun. Maybe too much fun, it's not allowed to be "sell the Chaser and buy a 86 GTS" fun.

29,990. although its a very reasonable price. there is always a reason why its cheap. i'm thinking perhaps the build quality wont be as good...

the spotivo was 29,990 and that was 6 years ago when the last one was sold. coming from south africa = build quality on some was up the sh#t. not to mention the panels are ever so slightly different to the 1zz corollas sourced from japan.

not saying that the FT86 will follow the same but just a heads up before u dive into an impulse buy.

They're built in the subaru factory so should be perfectly fine in terms of build quality.

I find this comment a little perplexing from a moderator on a Toyota forum.

Anyhow, it's clear Toyota wanted to make a statement about the fact it's ready to put some life back into its cars.

As for the price indicating something is wrong... line it up on paper between an Ascent Sport Corolla, sure it's rear wheel drive and has a 6 speed shift, but it's $9k dearer for what is an N/A 4cylinder small sedan sized vehicle. It's inclusions and lack of forced induction make it clear to see that $29k is a reasonable price for the car.

Me on the other hand, I'm excited about getting a good look at it in person. I'm going to the Toyota training day for it tomorrow and hope to have a red automatic GTS in the dealership by Friday or Monday.

Hmmm I'm stuck now.. Buying a car at the end of the year and I had my heart set on a new 2012/13 WRX premium (about 45k.) But now I look at this....

I live in ACT so the driving roads here are amazing, mostly twisties, mountains and wet... So WRX would be in its prime... But the 86 like a lot have said is such a cult car and I've always loved the 80's versions....

Damn you car industry!

I heard somewhere that the GTS is sold out?

Apparently, only the base model is available.. so who's rocking the steelies look..? lol

By the way, have they announced a release date? You see them everywhere else around the world except here.. freaking retarded.. >_<

http://www.ozft86.com.au/toyota-ft-86-sold-out/

Apparently, only the base model is available.. so who's rocking the steelies look..? lol

By the way, have they announced a release date? You see them everywhere else around the world except here.. freaking retarded.. >_<

http://www.ozft86.co...ft-86-sold-out/

I reckon there will be at least a 2 month waiting list once you place your order :(

jason: if thats the case then i'd be happy to it if i wanted.

scud: something that i would expect from a person who works in a dealership. like i said, i'm not saying that it will follow the same pathway as the stivo did. just something to keep in mind when buying a car (its not only directed at the 86). also sir, correct me if i'm wrong but it seems that you think i'm a moderator of a toyota forum so that i cannot voice opinions against toyotas? that makes u perplexed?

We have arriving for our dealerships on Thursday a GT manual in Sonic Blue and a GTS manual in Thunder silver, with a 3rd one a Fuji Red GT manual arriving later in the month which im going to assume is our dealer principals car. KEEENNNN

We have arriving for our dealerships on Thursday a GT manual in Sonic Blue and a GTS manual in Thunder silver, with a 3rd one a Fuji Red GT manual arriving later in the month which im going to assume is our dealer principals car. KEEENNNN

Any idea on waiting time if someone was to order one??

Also, would you know if it comes with a mechanical diff as well?? I've read somewhere that it comes with a Torsen Differential instead, and that a mechanical diff and the LSD might have to be an optional extra?

http://www.ozft86.co...ft-86-sold-out/

I'm not sure where all the sold out talks come from. As I've mentioned we've got a Red GTS auto coming in first up which is unsold. Though we have sold two GT's prior to launch.

Also, the GT will still have 16" alloys, not steelies.

jason: if thats the case then i'd be happy to it if i wanted.

scud: something that i would expect from a person who works in a dealership. like i said, i'm not saying that it will follow the same pathway as the stivo did. just something to keep in mind when buying a car (its not only directed at the 86). also sir, correct me if i'm wrong but it seems that you think i'm a moderator of a toyota forum so that i cannot voice opinions against toyotas? that makes u perplexed?

Your comment was overly defeatist, simply stating that it must be **** because it's cheap. I would expect someone who is a Toyota enthusiast would be nothing but excited about something like the 86.

Lucky you guys have manuals coming! Not sure how we got stuck with an auto but if the auto GTS ends up being our demonstrator I'm going to be disappointed!!

Also, would you know if it comes with a mechanical diff as well?? I've read somewhere that it comes with a Torsen Differential instead, and that a mechanical diff and the LSD might have to be an optional extra?

LSD is standard on everything but the automatic GT.

As for waiting periods, it all depends on what stock is available. Depending on your spec, trans and colour choice there may be a car around, but there also may not. As for waiting times, if you submit an order it should usually take 3-4 months for turnaround from the date you order. However, if there is a massive amount of orders going into the system your order could potentially blow out longer.

LSD is standard on everything but the automatic GT.

As for waiting periods, it all depends on what stock is available. Depending on your spec, trans and colour choice there may be a car around, but there also may not. As for waiting times, if you submit an order it should usually take 3-4 months for turnaround from the date you order. However, if there is a massive amount of orders going into the system your order could potentially blow out longer.

Awesome, thanks for answering that..

Definitely something i'm looking into

yes sir, i am excited about the upcoming 86, and i do apoligise if i came across that way. maybe if you are willing to meet up at this years annual show n shine in brighton toyota this weekend, i'll be happy to discuss more about the 86 with u on the day.