1jz,2jz or rb25det in a Cefiro.....Also LPG with turbo questions!

Well guys, have been away for a long time traveling etc since i sold my Sportivo (miss it soooo badly)

I havent had a car for a few years and i have ben riding around on motorbikes.

Because its toyota related i have a few questions!!!

So im currently living out of Aus for a few years and would like to pick up a cheap car for daily driving and fun cruising on the weekend.

I have average experience with cars and do alot of reading on specs/stats etc.

I would like to know some pros and cons from users here in regards to buying a 2nd hand cefiro with one of these turbo engines.

Im a big fan of these 3 engines and there is a large supply of cefiros for sale with these engines available in them.

Now obviously it depends how good the work has been done on the car, but for now i would like to be able to narrow my search on them.

It will most likely be personal preference of which engine, but in regards for maintenance etc and less issues of modified engines i have heard the 1jz is quite reliable.

Rb25 would be great, and the 2jz has always made me cream myself as a youngster watching my first mkiv supra fly by......

If anyone has experience in these engines in a conversion point of view, especially in a cefiro could you please let me know.

I would be driving manual. A few of them have had LPG conversions too.....im not too fond of the idea and i have done some googling on LPG tubo cars, but could i get some light shed on the idea of LPG in a turbo car.

The reason for buying a cefiro is because years ago they were a bigger import here and anything such as a skyline, or silvia/s14/180sx are a few thousand $ more than the cefiros that have had some slight work........hence the choice of the A31.

I have drivin in some old soarers and a chaser. Ive never drivin a rb25det. They are all fun to ride in but now that im looking at 1 chasis and have to choose which engine its quite difficult! I enjoy my cars and im not too biased about them. Dont be upset or biased about a nissan running a toyota engine please!! Just give me your thoughts from a tuners POV.

Thanks heaps!

Any help will be much appreciated.

As much as I like JZs (and have a pretty nice one in the Snoarer), I think it is silly to go through all the effort of trying to swap one in to something like an A31 Cefiro where an RB25 is just so naturally at home. At the end of the day unless you're pouring thousands into it, the performance difference will be negligible and the RB will be less hassle, less complicated, easier to get through rego/inspection/engineering, drivetrain and electrics will work properly etc etc.

Yes i understand what you mean, but im talking about buying one here with either of these engines installed.

The market here has plenty of A31;s with these engines already inside!

Im also in Thailand for reference and the laws arent as tight as bloody Aus hahaha

I'm going to assume your a little passionate about Toyota's so what not get one with a 2jz or 1jz it will show a bit of your personality and as you say the conversion is already done. They are such well known engines that even in a nissan you will have no trouble finding knowledge and support you need to keep it properly maintained etc...

The JZ engines are one hell of a motor and most of us modify our cars to represent who we are and what we like.

Yes i understand what you mean, but im talking about buying one here with either of these engines installed.

The market here has plenty of A31;s with these engines already inside!

Fair enough, but the same kind of thinking still applies - an RB conversion is less likely to give you problems down the track, especially if you don't know the history of the car, and will be easier to rectify.

1JZ's are all the rage these days.

In the end of the day it depends on how well the conversion was done, you could easily have issues with an RB swap as you would a 1J swap if it wasnt done properly...

Check a few cars with said swaps, take them for a spin and find out which you prefer and which seems to be done the best, then make your decision from there.

Good luck champ!