First car, is supra a good car to start with?

Like duh driving :)

Hi, I'm new to this website but its sseems like a very awesome place to ask for advice. So I am on my L's at the moment and will be on my p's by the end of the year, and I'd like to research some possible cars for my p's. I've always been a supra fan and they are great looking cars and quite powerful, though I am not into the whole hooning and racing scene I just like a nice looking car that I can rely on. To be honest I'm quite dumb went it comes to supras but I was wondering is a non turbo supra, preferably from 1994 or newer be a good first car?

I'm looking at a price range of 9k-15k, I would like a supra with simple mods, such as a nice kit and slight performance improvements to make driving a little easier. I can driver either manual or auto, I don't plan to race or show off the car by doing stupid things, and I plan to add some sort of sound system into it eventually if it does not already have one.

Btw I've been reading the other similar posts and people says hondas are better but I'd really like a supra.

Cheers :D

Eric

Hey man, welcome :] !

i too have been a fan of a supra, still am, and still want one, nevertheless

it doesnt seem to be quite practical these days, its a 6 Cylinder engine, it drinks like hell. As an old car it will be bound to have problems, and money = problems, so you have to spend $$ to get sh*t fixed,

Let me tell you my little version, and my opinion,

i was driving a 1990 skyline gts-t 32, straight 6 as well, and turbo, had a decent kit with it, it was yellow, and had 18" Chromies on it, it was a bit of an eye turner, but problems were there left right and centre, (clutch pedal didnt spring back, clutch master needed to be replaced, alternator got fried, power steering belt got shredded, battery kept goin flat, stock turbo was fried, leaked oil like a MOTHERF*****, and the list goes on and on,)

Being 18, all i had was a maccas job, up to 20-24 hours per week with bad pay, so most of it was goin to petrol and repairs due to goin out almost every night driving around, it only did 300km a tank on 98Ron, so that aint really practical if you were to use is every day. It was a nice car.. although i had to let it go as i couldnt afford to maintain it, i was goin broke while i continuously used the car. Also since on Ps, and a slightly modded car, cop attraction increases 100%,

But thats just me, not telling you not to buy a supra, im just telling you from what i have experienced when i was 18 and just got my Ps, You could still buy a Supra, but you have to face the troubles/consequences that comes with it,

Wait till are you are off your P license.

The car you will get then will likely to have more technology, better fuel economy, more power and in general be a better car than anything you will be allowed to buy now

• 1 month later...

Best advice I was given when I went looking for a car was to buy something you don't mind writing off. As an 18 year old, look into what insurance will cost you over anythign else. $1500 may not seem like much the first time, but you will soon tire of handing it over each year.

Yup I would've loved to own a sh*tbox car with 3rd party insurance and had my first accident in it instead of crashing the car I got now. You may think you're careful with driving but you're never really that careful till you have an accident. And I agree with SuperDave insurance is the biggest issue you should have on your mind. P.S. If you're thinking of lowering your premium by increasing your excess, DONT.

• 2 weeks later...

Reason why I moved on from a 2004 Subaru Impreza RS to Corollas is because of the cost of insurance, its just too much for a 'sports car'

Another reason is just for running costs, the corollas use alot less fuel than the subaru did. Not to mention if I smash (or get smashed) in a Corolla it would probably cost me just $500 or so to reshell it :P

Maintenance on the corolla is a bit high since it is 26 years old its bound to have problems, i keep racing it and modifying it so its bound to happen...

Supras are a good car but in my opinion I would purchase something cheaper and smaller to start out with until you gain mechanical knowledge and you know the costs involved in owning a car.

Also, wait till you are on your fulls and get a TT Supra ;)