ToyotaLink Backup Battery

Huss

Hi All.

First time im posting here. I have a TOYOTA AURION PRESARA 2009 with a ToyotaLink system. I am signed up with ToyotaLink and every month or so ToyotaLink keeps ringing me saying the backup battery is low and that I need to replace it. I went to toyota and they wanted $260 to do the job. I said they can shove it !

I unable to find proper instructions on how to get to the battery but from what I gather its in a black box in the boot. I'm unsure how to get to it. I saw some photos on this forum but there is not much details. The last thing I want to do is break something or not be able to put it back together.

Does anyone know a link (yes i have already googled) or can give me detailed instructions on how to get to this battery please.

Any help and sugguestions will be appreciated.

Thanks ;)

Edited by Huss

Without seeing it in person myself, I have gathered that to remove the unit, you have to remove your parcel shelf then you can access the nuts that hold the unit to the bottom of the parcel shelf. I gathered that from the following thread:

http://au.toyotaowne...ta-link-needed/

Also have a look at some discussion here:

If you have some soldering skills, you could probably buy some 1.2V NiCd or NiMH cells with solder tabs and make a replacement battery for cheap. Or you could use a 7.2V RC battery and work your way from there.

DJ, thanks.. yeah i seen those links. It appears the real issue that I'm having is removing the parcel shelf. Correct me if im wrong, but the parcel shelf is the thing that goes over the rear speakrs (behind the back seat) yeah ?

Its just a nightmare, im scared ill snap or break something. I found a hole heap of white clips in the boot and tried to undo them but im not sure if im doing it right.

Oh yeah. I knew I forgot to mention something. You can remove the parcel shelf without removing the rear seat. You just remove the trim on the sides of the rear window (with the SRS Airbag marking on it... don't worry, it's okay to remove) then remove the rear headrests, then once that is out the parcel shelf can be lifted up and if you extend the seatbelts, you can figure out where to put it.

Everything is held in with plastic clips. They can take a little force but they don't break that easily.

ok thanks guys... ill try it in the next few days and get back to you... if i figure it out, ill write a tutorial for this forum, help others out !

You'll have to take the rear seats off, haven't tried without taking the seats off so i don't know if it can be done or not

Definitely don't have to if you aren't keen on it. Done it twice before. Only reason I say that is putting the rear part of the seat back on can be a pain in the rear end.

Edit: I knew I had evidence of this somewhere:

dsc04206m.jpg

• 4 months later...

I can confirm the battery can be accessed without removing the seats as I did replace the battery in my Aurion myself. I also didi a small mod to easily access the battery next time withour actually removing the parcel shelf. All the tools you need are a set of 12mm and 10mm ratchet sockets or spanners and a torx screw driver. This may be helpful as multiple removals will damage the plastic clipsSee the separate post with pictures

• 2 months later...

Hello fellow Aurion owners. This is my first post.

I am very impressed with the quality and details provided on how to change the backup battery.

It was very easy. I gave the battery to Battery World and it was back in two weeks with new nicads. I plugged it back in and two weeks later the light has not changed to green to indicate that all is well.

The plug can only be inserted one way so I am wondering if something else needs to be done, like a reset? I would be very surprised if Battery World soldered the battery up incorrectly.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 2005 camry grande which has toyotalink. I had a previous white which was crashed. TL service response was excellent they had emergency services to the car very quickly. The battery for the unit had been replaced 6 months before for about $200. With that experience I looked around and bought the same model again and resumed TL. In August 2010 the whole Mayaday ECU failed and was replaced. Total cost $930 AUD way over the top for what it is in my opinion. Now it appears to have gone again if so I think I will give up and do without it, I feel it is a rip off. Does anyone have some thoughts on what to do in this situation?