Tyre Pressure

Retro Raf

I have a Rav4 Edge with the 215 tyres.The manual says 29psi which I thought was rather low. The new tyres I had fitted were at 38 psi from the tyres shop! I dropped them to 29. Is it better to run them higher? what pressure do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

Keep it at least 35psi imo. There are plenty of threads online about tyre pressure. Each person has as different opinion about it. It's not good to have the tyre under or over inflated so keep it around 35-38psi is fine.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I feel tyre fitters and service shops always over inflate tyres, especially on SUVs. I keep my 2012 RAV SX6 18" tyres inflated to the recomended 30psi. I don't care if the tyre life is slightly lower and the fuel use is very slightly higher, comfort on our appalling Blue Mountains local roads is my highest priority. An extra 8psi makes the ride really twitchy and hard.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I know it's an old thread but browsing, I was amazed at the high pressures being used. I have 1.8 bar on the door frame which is 26psi. I just had some tyres fitted and the fitters blew them up to 36psi even though I said do them to 30. The ride felt really harsh so I dropped the pressures to 28psi and wow the improvement was fantastic. I am going to try 24 next.

• 2 years later...

HI,

I run 42 on front and 40 on the rear. I get 100,000KM per set of tyres.

You can work out the optimum tyre pressure, of your Rav4, by monitoring the wear patterns across the width of the tyre. If the tyres wear on the outsides then you increase the pressure by a few lbs. If the they are wearing more in the centre then you decrease the pressure by a few lbs.

I swap tyres front to back only twice in a lifetime of the tyre (about every 30,000-ish KM)

Regards, Leigh