Costs to repair faulty gasket?

psychoacid

Hi,

I have read the "Known faults of 1MZFE engine" and "diagnose the oil leak".

I found engine oil leak on my garage floor so I went for a car check and the mech (not my usual workshop but is near my home) told me a faulty head gasket causing a massive oil leak. I told him only 1-2 drops every few days and he said that is considered bad enough.

If you read my previous post, I drove a 98 V6 Conquest (just bought). Timing belt changed by previous owner at 110,000kms. Currently at 185,000kms.

Because of the oil leaks, mech said the oil should have already gone through into the timing belt and it needs to be replaced. He ask if I want to get it repair for around $800-900. My eyes popped wide and jaw dropped!! :( I told him I will think about it. He said the belt might seize anytime.

Anyway, as I am going to have a road trip maybe close to 10,000kms in 2 months time, I will go and get this sorted out at my usual mech (quite far from home) soon. Will ask him if it affected the timing belt.

Ok, lets say it is only just to replace the faulty gasket which causes the leak, how much roughly would I be looking at? I am asking because I dont know what is the market rate. Also, how long will this replacement take?

Thanks

It's not a faulty gasket. 185,000km old gaskets will naturally lose their ability to seal.

That price is about right, but it depends where it is leaking from you may not need to replace the timing belt. it is most likely leaking from the rear bank on he outer edge as that is the lowest point of the tilt of the engine. If it is leaking from this point your timing belt should be fine.

As suggested, seek other opinions if your regular mechanic is not available.

I had the front rocker cover replaced(same engine) just around 12 months ago, and to me it was leaking from the front right corner. So I mentioned it when the car was put in for service at my regular mechanic. When he was about to change the oil filter, he noticed oil on his arm from a place where he would not expect oil to be. Anyway, further investigation revealed the seal on the camshaft sensor was leaking and was replaced. Rocker cover gasket wasn't leaking at all.

Just shows that it may not be where the oil leak might be. I invested in one of those camera snakes (medium price) they use in plumbing and now able to look in all the nooks and crannys of the engine bay.

• 3 months later...

If you are replacing the rocker cover/valve cover gaskets you should replace:

- air-surge tank to intake manifold gasket

- throttle body gasket

If you plan on keeping the car for a while longer you should also replace:

- spark plugs

- spark leads

- spark tube gaskets

Caise everytime the air surge tank comes off (unless you've done very little mileage), you should replace the air-surge tank to intake manifold gasket and TB gaskets every time.