2.2 st128 strange problem

samst128

Hi Everyone,

I am the recent and proud owner of a celica st128 2.2 auto.

i have had it for two weeks and today i have encoundered my first problem.

I was driving along this morning and a felt my car lacked power a little bit but it was just a passing thought and assumed i was wrong.

I carried on about my day and i was was driving down the highway and at low revs i could hear a bit of a fast bearing type sound coming from the lower engine bay ( the same level as the accelerator pedal.) as i put my foot down a bit and picked the the revs the noise would go. (I also noticed the yellow engine light come on)

I then needed to overtake on the highway and as i put my foot down power was weak so i put my foot down harder and the auto dropped a gear down and it picked up but soon after the performance dropped even more.

I exited onto a slip road and as i did the car began to idle weak and so i went into the emergency lane and as i stopped it cut out and with that the brakes failed so did power steering.

I came to a stop and sat there and noticed the temp guage was on max! a failure on my part not to notice in the first place.

so at this point i had began to investigate.

• Lifted the bonnet and a little greyish smoke was coming off the engine (overheated)
  • power windows and sunroof were weak for power (battery)
  • car would not start
  • Cooling system has very rusty water and it has leaked a bit of its orange juice from the rad cap

I left it for 20 mins to cool and and tried to start it and it would almost start. i left it another 15 mins and it then fired up so i moved it off the slip road and parked it on a main street. I got a a friend to pick me up and went ot the servo to get some coolant. i topped up the rad but not too much but enough to ease concern nd none came out of the botttom on to the road.

I let it cool to almost cold on the guage started it up and it sounded and idled perfectly and all the electrics windows etc worked normally . i then drove it and no longer than two mins later the heat was soaring again.

Im not a complete mechanical novice but all my experience is on BMW E30's and to be totally honest im at a loss to understand what the problem is with this.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

the sound you heard was probably the engine pinging from being too hot.When its too hot the engine will loose power. I would suspect you could have a faulty themostat of possibly a blocked radiator, hopefully it hasnt blown the headgasket. A easy check to do is when the engine is at operating temp check the top and bottom hoses, If 1 is hot and 1 is cold you have a thermosat/ radiator issue. Dont drive it until you get it sorted or you will do more damage