South Africa? Japan?

Yeah, I didn't want to play the 'I work at Toyota card', but basically, I work at Toyota.

I think we're all agreed that they dont paint door handles for the Corolla locally.

And Azza's points are accurate, however production in Japan (or any other TPS based production system) does not do 'runs' of certain builds, the builds vary by customer demand. If the line were to stop, you would see Levin, Conquest, Sportivo etc... in random order. The same as Altona, you see Avalon (not anymore), Sportivo, Grande, Altise, Sportivo, Altise... etc.

Yeah, I didn't want to play the 'I work at Toyota card', but basically, I work at Toyota.

I think we're all agreed that they dont paint door handles for the Corolla locally.

And Azza's points are accurate, however production in Japan (or any other TPS based production system) does not do 'runs' of certain builds, the builds vary by customer demand. If the line were to stop, you would see Levin, Conquest, Sportivo etc... in random order. The same as Altona, you see Avalon (not anymore), Sportivo, Grande, Altise, Sportivo, Altise... etc.

yer im talking about outside trim, rims electric windows etc

not actual interior changes

:rolleyes:

Your car will have two plates on the fire wall a build plate by the manufacturer and an Australian compliance plate.

If built in Japan the build plate will have "Toyota Motor Corporation Japan"

If built in SA the build plate will have "Toyota Motor Corporation South Africa"

• 3 years later...
Japanese Built:

Vin number starts with 'J'...

Anything else will start with something else...

vinnumbers...

africa start .........."AHT"

Japstart ................"JHT"

and believe it or not the doors are different too...the lock/striker position is 30mm higher on african shell, so to fit a jap door means lowering the striker

Also to add, believe it or not, the headlamps of the facelift corollas, between Japanese and African built have different glare shields inside.

and *i'm still not sure about this one* but, the African built corollas (2zz/1zz) all have a blue sunshade tint on the top end of their windscreen. While Japanese built corollas (1zz) will have a clear windscreen...

Question I have is - why the slight differences? Shouldn't it all be using the same parts since the design is the same, just built in a different factory?

Also to add, believe it or not, the headlamps of the facelift corollas, between Japanese and African built have different glare shields inside.

and *i'm still not sure about this one* but, the African built corollas (2zz/1zz) all have a blue sunshade tint on the top end of their windscreen. While Japanese built corollas (1zz) will have a clear windscreen...

Question I have is - why the slight differences? Shouldn't it all be using the same parts since the design is the same, just built in a different factory?

well i got a new screen in my sportivo (african) and they arrived with a top tinted nice screen (they said they fit whatever was fitted from factory....my girlfriends jap built ascent has a clear (not top tinted) screen, but my other african ascent has top tinted screen.....maybe the hot african sun?? hahaha japan dont need sunshade due to smog and strange eyes......( i can say this slighlty racist comment as my girl is asian hahaha)

• 1 month later...
because japs are shorter.. thats why the locks are lower..

sorry to bump old thread. but HAHAHAHAH thats hilarious. go nubbie

oh btw i know i havent talked much about myself but i have lived in japan since i was 16 by myself and im pretty much fluent in japanese. i just cant read alot of kanji(chinese characters) but i go alright with hiragana and katakana!

Edited by Brad-dreama