LC 200 Diesel Tapping Noise at low revs

logcabinman

Hi,

Our LC200 series has developed a tapping noise at a set rev range of around 1500 revs under slight load at low speed. We tow a big caravan and the noise goes away at normal revs. We service the vehicle by the book, we have used Wynns products for fuel every 5000k which does make the vehicle run smoother in general. There is no unusual lack of power or other issues. We tend to be gentle drivers and do not "flog" the motor at all.

It has about 80,000 K on the odo.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

M&M

Hi mate , sorry mate I dont know whats causing the problem, what I can suggest mate is if knowone answers you question on this forum is sign up on the 4wd action forum and then post up your question, theres probadly more 200 series owners reading on the 4wd action forum than this forum,also another good landcruiser forum is LCOOL web site, sorry mate I couldnt be more help, I love 200 series landcruisers, oneday when I can afford one I buy one.

Open your bonnet, and try and get someone to rev up the car to see if the tapping increases with the revs

If it does, grab a screwdriver and put one end onto the cylinder head and your ear on the other end to listen

If you can hear it pretty clearly coming from the head and it goes up with revs, then it could very likely be that your valve clearances need to be adjusted

If i remember right then checking them is done every 40k for diesels and 80k for petrol cruisers according to the service manual

I've heard the same on both 70 series and 200 series 1VD engine. Ask a dealers opinion, or that of a local 4x4 forum member (as suggested above).

If it also runs rough, misfires, lacks power or has abnormal exhaust smoke, the dealer should be your first stop.

• 1 year later...

Could be injectors? I'm not sure these modern CRD engines like fuel additives at all. I'd be very cautious about using them until full research has been done

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Our LC200 series has developed a tapping noise at a set rev range of around 1500 revs under slight load at low speed. We tow a big caravan and the noise goes away at normal revs. We service the vehicle by the book, we have used Wynns products for fuel every 5000k which does make the vehicle run smoother in general. There is no unusual lack of power or other issues. We tend to be gentle drivers and do not "flog" the motor at all.

It has about 80,000 K on the odo.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

M&M

Hi is it diesel or petrol ? if diesel its very possibly just normal diesel noise if petrol get it looked at asap best i can reccomend without all the details

• 1 year later...

Hi There. I am having the exact same problem. Brief history below

1.) At 20,000km it was park up for 2 weeks. First time it start I knew it sounded different.

2.) Took it to Toyota in Welshpool WA. Said it was normal. But I knew it was not there before

3.) At 25k Km I took it back and said please investigate. They had it over night and put it on the diagnostic machine to test injector tolerances whilst cold and hot. FYI Toyota have a range of -3 to 3 as acceptable. Mine were all at zero.

4.) At 30k km i basically cant stand the car it irritates me so much. I took it to Toyota in Northbridge and the head technician came for a drive. He said he could hear it on the left hand bank. FINALLY!

5.) What they are doing today is disconnecting each cyclinder until the noise goes away. If it does then its a dodgy injector. If it doesnt then its a valve clearance issue which Toyota has said is most unlikely

A few things. On the V8 Diesel, the injectors are a nine hole design. Each hole is water bored they are that small. Basically if one hole gets blocked then its a domino effect on the rest of the injector. Ultimately the performance of my car hasn't change at all. Its just the tap tap sound at 1,500rpm at 50km/hour that increases with revs until the road noise takes over.

Will update once theres a result.

JM

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys.

I basically have exact same symptoms as Jamie described above.

I had a tapping noise when it started up in the morning and then that tick-tick noise that gone up and down with revs.

Toyota replaced all the injectors and that resolved the startup noise in the morning, so it stats up and is dead quiet.

But when you drive the car there is a tick-tick or a k-r-r-r noise , like a injector or something that is annoying as hell.

Have anyone got an idea what it could be, where to look?

2016 LC vx200 - 14K on clock

Thanks gents.

• 2 weeks later...

tick-tick or a k-r-r-r noise

I have the same problem  Its just the tap tap sound at 1,500rpm at 50km/hour that increases with revs until the road noise takes over . has anyone found a solution to this.

LC 200 140,00km 2008 model was parked for a month 

please advice

• 1 month later...

Hi I have the same issue as described previously.  I only have 35k on the clock and use the vehicle to tow a big boat to the ramp and back a few kms away. Oil change every 5000k and filter too. Fuel filter every 10,000k. Never the less, 1500rpm loud metal knocking left rear of engine, dissipates after 15 minutes. No smoke no loss of power. Only started in March / April conveniently just before the warranty ran out. Reported to dealer several times and each time told "completely normal". Well it is and it isnt isn't........

Researched on web / forums etc. First thought was possible sticky valve lifter. Did oil flush, correct weight oil, lifter free etc etc - no difference. Seems it could be injector since this is a very, very common problem for D4D engines including Hilux and Prado since Toyota brought in CRD. Have a look, there are hundreds and hundreds of angry Toyota owners and all have the same issue of loud knock as a result of failed injector and Toyota not admitting problem with injectors. Also seems that CRD's DO NOT suit low kilometres and short trips - so should have bought a petrol or stuck with the old indirect 80 series......

Demanded injector test from dealer and after overnight stay they returned one piece of paper with hot results only, that showed all injectors in tolerance (worst -1.1) and said "see normal".  Demanded cold test results and they wouldn't give them to me saying it is flight recorder data logging and not possible. Offered to trade the vehicle in for good price since they said it was perfect but they wouldn't be in it??? Complained to Toyota Australia. A little while later dealer service manager rang back and admitted cylinder 8 on left rear is -3.3 at cold. No resolution - just dealer is talking to Toyota to further analyse results to see what can be done - yeah right!

More research. Seems pre 2012 Denso injectors have two problems 1/ copper washers self destruct 2/ injector spindles suffer from premature wear and either stick open or closed. ECU compensates and puts more fuel in or starves of fuel so noise is actually (like petrol) timing/advance/pre ignition and because very high compression = very loud knock. Left unchecked and piston can crack or melt (this has happened to some according to the forums). Solution is to replace all injectors - not just the affected one, since it will only happen again (see forums). Two options for new injectors = Denso OEM which NOW (post 2012) have a DLC (diamond like coating) (see also new 2016 injectors on Cruisers and Prados ) OR reconditioned injectors through a mob called Baileys (called 'Blueprinted' which also have protective coating). Each cost around $500 - $600 each from Diesel mechanic or >$1,000 from Toyota plus labour to install and it is a minimum 10 hour job.

So, stuck with this mess, I have booked my vehicle in with a diesel guy (definitely NOT Toyota) and will have the injector test done properly with a view to replacing all injectors which will hopefully give me the 200k plus kilometres I originally intended. Hopefully the piston is ok but will need to do camera inspection when injector is out. Cost of re-build or new engine I see is around $15 -22k so $5k or $6k for injectors is a bit better?????

I'd like to hear from anyone who has 'survived' the injector change out...........

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys, been a year since this post, hopefully someone has an answer?

Ive got a Dec 12 Hilux, had a knocking noise, mainly when cold, under load, up a hill.

It gradually got worse ( over a month or 2) to mainly happening when warm, but generally only when under load (starting off on an uphill) 

Was told injectors should be tested and 2 came back at -3 or something which apparently means need replacing, so that was done, but the noise hasnt gone, seems exactly the same, except when its cold  its fine, now just when warm.

Suggestions? 

TIA. Mike

• 1 year later...
Hi I have the same issue as described previously.  I only have 35k on the clock and use the vehicle to tow a big boat to the ramp and back a few kms away. Oil change every 5000k and filter too. Fuel filter every 10,000k. Never the less, 1500rpm loud metal knocking left rear of engine, dissipates after 15 minutes. No smoke no loss of power. Only started in March / April conveniently just before the warranty ran out. Reported to dealer several times and each time told "completely normal". Well it is and it isnt isn't........
Researched on web / forums etc. First thought was possible sticky valve lifter. Did oil flush, correct weight oil, lifter free etc etc - no difference. Seems it could be injector since this is a very, very common problem for D4D engines including Hilux and Prado since Toyota brought in CRD. Have a look, there are hundreds and hundreds of angry Toyota owners and all have the same issue of loud knock as a result of failed injector and Toyota not admitting problem with injectors. Also seems that CRD's DO NOT suit low kilometres and short trips - so should have bought a petrol or stuck with the old indirect 80 series......
Demanded injector test from dealer and after overnight stay they returned one piece of paper with hot results only, that showed all injectors in tolerance (worst -1.1) and said "see normal".  Demanded cold test results and they wouldn't give them to me saying it is flight recorder data logging and not possible. Offered to trade the vehicle in for good price since they said it was perfect but they wouldn't be in it??? Complained to Toyota Australia. A little while later dealer service manager rang back and admitted cylinder 8 on left rear is -3.3 at cold. No resolution - just dealer is talking to Toyota to further analyse results to see what can be done - yeah right!
More research. Seems pre 2012 Denso injectors have two problems 1/ copper washers self destruct 2/ injector spindles suffer from premature wear and either stick open or closed. ECU compensates and puts more fuel in or starves of fuel so noise is actually (like petrol) timing/advance/pre ignition and because very high compression = very loud knock. Left unchecked and piston can crack or melt (this has happened to some according to the forums). Solution is to replace all injectors - not just the affected one, since it will only happen again (see forums). Two options for new injectors = Denso OEM which NOW (post 2012) have a DLC (diamond like coating) (see also new 2016 injectors on Cruisers and Prados ) OR reconditioned injectors through a mob called Baileys (called 'Blueprinted' which also have protective coating). Each cost around $500 - $600 each from Diesel mechanic or >$1,000 from Toyota plus labour to install and it is a minimum 10 hour job.
So, stuck with this mess, I have booked my vehicle in with a diesel guy (definitely NOT Toyota) and will have the injector test done properly with a view to replacing all injectors which will hopefully give me the 200k plus kilometres I originally intended. Hopefully the piston is ok but will need to do camera inspection when injector is out. Cost of re-build or new engine I see is around $15 -22k so $5k or $6k for injectors is a bit better?????
I'd like to hear from anyone who has 'survived' the injector change out...........

Hi there,
I went looking through the forums and alike as I have very similar problems with my 200. It’s a 2007 model with only. 153k on the clock, although very well kept and serviced it has in the last 2 weeks produced the very same symptoms... very loud knock under moderate load as we live on a sloping street and I drive upwards after warming it up. If I back off the knock goes away although I have had the injectors checked by two seperate workshops and most injectors have read + or - .06 one which is number 6 reads 2.03 and up to 2.63 driving under moderate acceleration. The noise is nearly completely gone after about 15 mins.
I have heard from a few people that these are within spec however what else can it be? It isles fine but once the start driving then it starts and it quite loud.

Concerned 200 owner
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

so the 70 series and the 200 series have hydraulic lifters which means that they should never need adjusting. they have one plunger that will adjust the whole bank. So if you are getting the ticking noise under light to moderate load it will 90% be the injectors fouling up.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just stating the obvious...but as with all hydraulic lifters, the 1VD-FTV  valve lash adjusters can get blockages and operate as 'solid' lifters...making a rarther terrible din.

Test your injectors by all means...given the potential for a melted piston...but id first consider a couple of rapid (100-200 kms) oil changes and even the use of some oil flushing goop before spending upwards of $3500 on a set of injectors.

• 4 months later...

I have a LC200 2016  GXL diesel  auto which developed a vibration @ 1500rpm /100klm hr.
Apparently the vehicle requires NEW injectors.

Has only travelled 66,000klm

Is this a common problem with this model LC. 
Cost to replace is around $4k.

Anyone having similar problem?

Not happy.

• 2 months later...

Bought a used 2008 LC200 1VD-FTE with 325000 ks on the clock last month. Soon after a very annoying tapping noise developed. Taps at about 282 Hz or bpm in idle and goes up with the revs. When driving under load it is usually unnoticable but can easily be heard inside the car especially when at idle. Warm and cold. I went to a reputable mechanic and he suggested to replace all injectors - two of which came back with readings above 3 (0-3 is ok apparently). $5000 later, the noise is just the same. I'm gutted. Noise is clearly coming from the left lower end of the engine.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, Chrisso2014 said:

from AC

Hi just recently purchased a 76 series and I have the exact same noise on the left bank, fushed oil, ran lifter additive, injector test came back nothing over 1.2 but noise is still present. Did anyone find any answers??

• 1 year later...

Same here, 164k owned since new.. all oil/filter changes well within recommended. Diesel Power added in exacting amounts every tank, BP Ultimate fuel used almost exclusively - if not, premium diesel... and only twice - standard truck diesel. Toyota fuel injector cleaner added every 20,000 km's. Currently up north with 2.5 tonne van. Had injector values read at St. George.... technician reported them all "within spec"... and told me there was nothing to worry about - "normal diesel fuel knock". Was not offered written injector values.... Had motor tested again Charters Towers... "all within spec" - highest was 1.2, lowest -0.8. Again told "normal".... rattle/tapping noise is not "loud"... and no louder when cold.... but can be "just" heard over wind noise with all windows up at 100 km/h towing van. Seems more apparent at a scan gauge l/100 km readout of between 12 & 17 l/100.... seems to be quieter under heavier load.... no noise coasting (ruling out mechanical constant noise). Watching this thread with interest.... frats, Rosco