Australias First Prius: Dead?

ArnoldE

Im the proud owner of Australias first PRIUS. I purchased it new in 2001 - and even had my family flown to Sydney by Toyota for the launch. Ive got a trophie, some model Prius cars from Toyota - and you can even google Prius and my surname (Dix) to find the press releases.

My problem is that after 300,000km the battery is dead. The dealer has issued the car with a death certificate. I want it kept as a bit of Australian motoring history - but no museums want it. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to bring a dead series one back to life for a reasonable cost?

Arnold

Re-pack the batteries like you would with RC car battery packs maybe :lol:

I'd hate to imagine the price of that though. Seriously though, how much would Toyota charge to replace the batteries? Surely there would be some way they can offset it by sending the old ones off for recycling or something.

I always wanted to know how eco-friendly these cars would end up being in their life time, looks like their life isn't that long :(

As for bringing it back to life, re packing the batteries, don't think that it would be cheap though :(

Welcome ArnoldE

That's one special car. You should see what Toyota would be interested in doing with the car, given its historical significance.

Have you been using the car regularly, recently? Can you determine the cause or extent of the failure? I don't know the price of a replacement battery for a Gen1, but $3,000 is the quoted amount for Gen2 and Gen3.

You closest you can get to battery repack in Australia is probably NilCO2. Contact www.NilCO2.com.au as they fit batteries to create Plug-in Prii. If they don't repack, then you could remove your HV battery and replace it with a much larger unit and get a long EV range. It would cost much more than $3,000, but you would get much more than 1-2km of range; more like 40km. Possibly. I don't know if they fit Gen1, however.

There are more options in the USA including http://www.re-involt.com/ who can rebuild the battery for less than $2000.

Let us know what happens. :)

Check with Toyota to see if they can supply one; see how much and see what warranty they will put on it. HV batteries in current cars come with a combined 8 year, 160,000km warranty in part because they are so reliable.

Then see if they would fit a HV battery from a wreck where the vendor is offering 3 month warranty.

Any pictures?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A good run, nah. Will last a lot longer than that. Nothing, apart from the HV battery gives in as a rule if serviced correctly.

I have a 2001 Prius, ex EPA. Bought with duff batteries at 177377Km's. I changed 12 of the modules, and she runs like a new car.

Am looking to get to 400,000kms if possible. Given the engine quality, lack of moving parts to wear out when alll considered, a lot less than a standard car.

Easy stuff, 4 days for modules to arrive, $25 each, and done. Fitted Sat Nav, rev camera through sat nav, car Parrot phone system, and cruise control. Next thing is to get the paint polished and sealed properly. Too many will do's out there, but mad price vaiations.

LOVE THAT CAR!

Certainly beats changing gearboxes, seals, drive shafts etc.

Edited by Richieb

• 3 weeks later...

MY PRIUS LIVES AGAIN !!!

JOY and Bliss

I Found a battery pack at a wreckers in Queensland - and for less than $1000 my dear sweet 300,000km Prius is A L I V E again!!!

My next task is to rebuild the old battery pack (which I have)

So it seems that tough little car - Australias No1 Prius - will not end up at the wreckers after all!!!!

Arnold

• 2 weeks later...

Great news, Arnold!! Now for the next 300,000 km.

No joke......there are many Prius taxis around that have done well over 400,000 km without any major problems.

Also, Toyota do recycle the HV batteries from Hybrids when they need replacing (although that isn't very often.....Toyota have only ever replaced 3 HV batteries since Prius was first sold in OZ).

Cheers,

John

Prius Club of Qld.

• 3 years later...

An excellent thread on Prius batteries is on  http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2071810    Our 2002 Prius (ex-EPA Vic) is one of a reported 610 Series 1 cars imported to OZ by Toyota, and there were private imports. Although numbers are low, parts should be available - no need to scrap cars built to go 1 million km. The 2002 is still going on its original HV batteries, after 14 years.

Our 2006 (ex Adelaide City) model`s batteries played up just before the 8 year warranty expired, and Toyota replaced them, free. The dealer said the cost was $3043.