2012 Turbo Diesel Noisy

Alan67

Hi

I have a 2012 diesel prado and have issues with the turbo whistling/humming. The noise is so loud and distinct that I can hear my wife driving down the road before I can see her!

I have taken the vehicle back to Toyota and they are saying it is normal for this model, however I have test driven a Hilux (apparently the same engine) and it does not sound the same. My friend has a 2010 diesel prado and it does not make the same whistling/humming sound either.

Toyota are spruiking the usual story

A) it's normal for the vehicle

B) no one else has complained

C) there is nothing they can do to change it

Does anyone else have the same problem or any tips on how to get Toyota to rectify it?

This noise is so annoying a that I am willing to explore any pathway to rectify it or replace the vehicle, can anyone suggest any next steps including recommending a good lawyer!

Edited by Alan67

Hi mate welcome to the forum, Im not sure if you live in a metropolitan centre where there is a couple of toyotas or not, if you do, take it to the other dealer and get there oppinion, but they might treat you like you like you were born yesterday and give you a bullsh!t story, like its normal, anyway its worth a try, you could also have a look on the pradopoint web site and see if any other 150 series owner are having the same problem, they shouldnt be that noisy, the couple of d4d prados and hiluxes that I have driven have a little bit of a whistle but are not to bad and you certainly hear it a longway down the road, another thing you could do if theres one in your area is go to a diesel care centre they will definetly beable to point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

did you get this issue fixed and find out what the issue is? MINE is doing the same but 2010 model! whistle/siren sound only when accelerating ! everyone can here from the outside! HELP

On 9/15/2012 at 5:17 PM, Alan67 said:

Hi

I have a 2012 diesel prado and have issues with the turbo whistling/humming. The noise is so loud and distinct that I can hear my wife driving down the road before I can see her!

I have taken the vehicle back to Toyota and they are saying it is normal for this model, however I have test driven a Hilux (apparently the same engine) and it does not sound the same. My friend has a 2010 diesel prado and it does not make the same whistling/humming sound either.

Toyota are spruiking the usual story

A) it's normal for the vehicle

B) no one else has complained

C) there is nothing they can do to change it

Does anyone else have the same problem or any tips on how to get Toyota to rectify it?

This noise is so annoying a that I am willing to explore any pathway to rectify it or replace the vehicle, can anyone suggest any next steps including recommending a good lawyer!

did you get this issue fixed and find out what the issue is? MINE is doing the same but 2010 model! whistle/siren sound only when accelerating ! everyone can here from the outside! HELP