Steering Wobble

I have noticed something funny in my my Aurion (2010 Presara). The Steering wheel starts to wobble like mad on speeds between 60-120 Km/h. This is the same kind of wobbling if your tyres arent balanced at all.

Heres the funny part. If I bring the car to a ful stop (when experiencing the wobbling), Shift to Park and then shift to Drive and drive off at the same speeds, the drive is as smooth as silk.

I noticed this at some occasions and specially twice yesterday while I was driving on the highway, I slowed down at a traffic checkpoint where there was a small road bump. The wobbling came back as I sped off from the checkpoint. So I had to come to a complete stop, shift to P and back to D and drive off smoothly (as if nothing happened).

I wonder whats wrong..... I'll really appreciate it if you guys can help me out.

The car has a full service history at the dealer and Im the first owner. Its been driven for around 66,000 Kms.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but thankfully oldmate just above me bumped it already :)

If it's not an alignment/balance/tyre shape/rotor issue, then get the CVs checked. I was getting some very gnarly wobbling feedback at speeds above 40kph, but not all the time, and in the end it was because one CV had lost all its grease (what the?), so one of the bearings had started wearing an indent inside the joint.

I know this is an old thread, but thankfully oldmate just above me bumped it already :)

If it's not an alignment/balance/tyre shape/rotor issue, then get the CVs checked. I was getting some very gnarly wobbling feedback at speeds above 40kph, but not all the time, and in the end it was because one CV had lost all its grease (what the?), so one of the bearings had started wearing an indent inside the joint.

Speaking of the CVs, when are they normally replaced? Mine was an ex company car, so it was serviced according to the plan I assume.

As above.

If you're worried though, just ask them to have a look inside the boot next service to make sure they're still packed with grease. I did get lucky with mine, a friend is a Toyota mech so the replacement was cost price, and he just pulled apart the other and rebuilt it without a need of replacement.