Anything to watch out for if buying LateModel High Km's

exator

Hi all,

New to the forum and looking to buy a second hand Kluger grande. I've spotted a MY11 grande with ~100000km on the clock from a dealer. It seems like the Km's are mostly country/highway unless the previous owner really loved driving all day everyday in a city.

Everything seems like it's in good working order, has a full service history and has been kept in good shape. With my doubts being left in the high km's. I expect that I can wrangle a 3 yr factory waranty in to the deal.

My questions here is:

1. is there anything I should be wary of if buying a car with such high km's?

2. What parts will be worn and need replacing in the near future?

3. What sort of price discounting should be applied for ~100000km MY11 kluger grande, my observation is that advertised prices are reflecting ~$1000/10,000km

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum mate,I reckon if you can get the kluger at a good price, somewhere in the late 30s to very early 40s it would be a good buy, some people will probadly disagree, but if I was buying a currant model grande with 100000kms on it , thats the sort money I would bee prepared to pay.

Your other question buying a kluger with these sort of kms on it wouldnt really be a problem , because the cars only fairly new so it has done mostly big runs and highway kms and been regulary serviced and the dealer will give you the 3 year warranty I would buy it, the kluger is pretty realiable car, the only thing I would check is the steering doesnt clunk when turning, especialy left,caused by the intermediate shaft, it was only a small number of klugers with that problem, also listen out for whine when travelling about 70kmh, there have been a small number with this particular problem, best way mate have a read on this topic on this forum, thats about it in general theres not many thing that go wrong with them .

klugers are great cars to drive, they have plenty of power with surprising fuel economy from a large v6 petrol wagon and there so comfy on a long trip, once you own one your love it, good luck mate with purchasing the kluger and hope to chat with you about any thing about your kluger in the future.

HI Croco,

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that it was the current facelift model AWD version not the 2wd. I presume that your pricing scheme still roughly applies.

Thanks for pointing out the steering and whine issues.. that's something I'll keep an eye out for.

Yes I'm pretty set on getting a kluger due to expansion of the family and have been reading up quite a bit on the forum, just been waiting for something that meets all the requirements to come along.

Cheers.

Our Kluger is just pushing 60oooKs and is 20 months old (we drive to melb and the snow a lot from SYD). Still feels like a new car (when it is clean) we had the steering shaft prob, but god thats nothing compared to the problems friends have with Euro cars (VWs etc) This car is our first Toyota, and there will be MANY more, if they are all like this!

Yeah mate, only a rough guess on pricing, Im not sure how the kluger is that your looking at buying, but have a look on the red book site that give some idea, I better option is to look at car sales web site will give you a more accurate prices, I fine sometimes red book can be out a bit on prices, what ever kluger you end up with, you love it, there the perfect family car, the only thing that I dont like about mine is that middle seat, but each to their own,but it will meet your requirments.

Our Kluger is just pushing 60oooKs and is 20 months old (we drive to melb and the snow a lot from SYD). Still feels like a new car (when it is clean) we had the steering shaft prob, but god thats nothing compared to the problems friends have with Euro cars (VWs etc) This car is our first Toyota, and there will be MANY more, if they are all like this!

100% AGREE WITH YOU MATE,people whinge about toyotas about minor things, own other makes of cars, like I have and you will realise how good toyotas are,toyotas are the best make of cars I have owned by far.

Great..

had a look at the two waranty problems the steering wheel and the whine.. looks that it would be good to check it and fixed under warranty if required.. I guess the extended warranty would help, but better to do so before the deal is finished I guess.

THanks for the tips.

Definetly mate, the extended warranty is a great idea, when I bought my used kluger just after christmas I got the extended warranty,and Im glad I did, 2 months later I had the clunk in the steering, which the intermediate shaft had to be replaced, but I didnt have to pay a cent, all covered under warranty,so try push them into getting the extended warranty in the deal,before you buy it take it for a good long test drive and listen for the clunk and whine,I hope I havent worried with the steering clunk and the whine problem, it was only on a very small number of klugers, my kluger has almost 90000kms on her and the intermediate shaft is only problem I have had with the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Our '08 Kluger has done 120,000 and still drives like new. IMHO that sort of mileage is nothing these days, provided it's been maintained properly. If possible check who the previous owner was - I would be comfortable buying something used by a family, but not a stock/station agent as they are notoriously hard on cars :blink:

Hey Holmesie,

Thanks for the tip about stock agents. Now you mention it, I suspect the car was possibly used by a stock agent as average km calculated out to be ~ 5000km/mth.

It dosn't matter now, Yesterday I just purchased a 25,000km 2011 MY11 2WD grande yesterday which still has balance of 1.5yrs of warranty left on it. It's also still valid for the service advantage, which saves me $.

if you wait til the end of the month you will probably see low km (30000 ish) stock my11 awd grandes advertised for 50k drive away typically in victoria. That's roughly the bottom of the market you prob don't have much bagaining power. If you see one from a Toyota dealer act fast as it will go in a couple of days.. note: it could be a dealer ploy to get you into the dealership.

I got mine in as an unmarked good condition 2wd from non Toyota dealer in Melbourne for the equivalent of 48300 drive away but being interstate dealer has to sell ex reg and stamp duty(~$2000). car had sides steps racks and front and rear parking assist.. not that I needed any of the accessories. fyi you pay stamp duty in state of residence.

Sydney seems to be 2-3k more exepensive in advertised price. Perth even more and brissie bout 1-2k more. probably a supply and demand thing going.

hope that helps

if you wait til the end of the month you will probably see low km (30000 ish) stock my11 awd grandes advertised for 50k drive away typically in victoria. That's roughly the bottom of the market you prob don't have much bagaining power. If you see one from a Toyota dealer act fast as it will go in a couple of days.. note: it could be a dealer ploy to get you into the dealership.

I got mine in as an unmarked good condition 2wd from non Toyota dealer in Melbourne for the equivalent of 48300 drive away but being interstate dealer has to sell ex reg and stamp duty(~$2000). car had sides steps racks and front and rear parking assist.. not that I needed any of the accessories. fyi you pay stamp duty in state of residence.

Sydney seems to be 2-3k more exepensive in advertised price. Perth even more and brissie bout 1-2k more. probably a supply and demand thing going.

hope that helps

Thanks for the info.

You seem to be on the money.

A bit over the dealers at the moment. Have come accross one who has advertised at $48ish on car sales, even though it's been "sold" since I enquired last week.

I detect a ploy to bait people to call.

Thought that was illegal in this day and age!

• 8 years later...
6 hours ago, Maree31 said:

If a kluger 2008 model SUV as a milage of 347000kms should I still purchase? Has one owner.

Depends, Maybe, No.

From the very limited amount of information provided, this vehicle had done double the average expected mileage.

It is a ticking timebomb for future expensive repairs dependent upon service history and useage. A lower purchase price will help to offset expected repair bills.

Definitely check/confirm when the following items were replaced:

1. Spark plugs and coil packs

2. Water Pump

3. Automatic Transmission and Differential Fluid [when last changed]

4. Thermostat and Coolant

5. Suspension: Struts, control arms and bushings

I concur. If the major service hasn't been done yet, the list will be extensive and will include many engine, cooling system, fuel system, suspension, brake system, not to mention any electrical items. I'd look for something with a lot less kays unless you get this one in question for dirt cheap, I wouldn't touch it unless the original owner has looked after it and maintained it well. It just may be ok. Get it inspected thoroughly. It just may be the one to reach the magic million someday !