Are you finding it hard to love your Corolla?

Squire

I am.

I like the car, but I certainly don't love it.

It is a solid, good size, well appointed, smooth car, but the list of issues I have with it just makes me unable to love it.

So, apart from the:

Accelleration hole at 2-3k rpm

Gappy and jerky 4-speed auto

No remote boot release

Drive belt that slowly loses tension

Incessant beeping if i open the door with the key in

Fragile CD-stacker

Too-fat centre console at calf area

Electric windows that stop working once someone opens a door

I found the other day that the car doesn't come with a fuse puller, or any spare fuses, or anywhere to put them.

Yes I know my concerns aren't major concerns and on the whole, it's a very reliable car that achieves 7.7L/100klms, which for a 4.5m long car is excellent. But the list is building far too thick and fast for me to ever be able to look back and say "I loved that car...".

Nup.

Your thoughts?

Yeah... I know what you mean...

I hate it too because I have to fill up the tank every 500km and change oil every 10000km, What was I thinking when I bought it...?

Cheers

AB

Umm... He didn't complain about the fuel usage or the service intervals (which seems pretty standard at 10k). In fact, he likes the fuel consumption according to the OP.

Holy **** some of you Corolla Owners are as fanatical as some Celica owners!!!

I was sarcastic.... :spiteful:

Of course I love my Corolla! But I know it's limitations, that's all. I know it's not the most powerfull, it's not the fastest, It has not cutting-edge technology, and it's not the best looking car. I bought reliability, low fuel consumption, confort and a low maintenance car, all in a cheap car. So that's why I did it and I'll do it again...

Cheers

AB

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself, did you buy the car to love it or did you buy it because it is practical? If all the little things annoy you, then you can either live with it or get rid of it and move on.

Well I love my Corolla and my previous ones too, the thing I hate about this one is that it can't beat a Lambo, still can't believe Toyota didn't mention that in the brochure .. Thanks a lot Toyota..

Lets face it... any car you purchase you will have things that you love about it and hate about it.

There is no such thing as perfect unless you just deal with/ignore those small issues.

You must have bought that particular car because the positives outweighed the negatives. Yes? Then make do with what you have :)

doesn't come with the fuse puller? r u sure? I mean u bought it second-hand right? cuz I swear my hire car had one...

No I'm not 100% sure. I was upside down in a dark cramped footwell.

oh and how do u know the drive belt is loosing tension? I thought these things come with a chain belt...

Nah, as in fanbelt/ancillaries belt/serpentine belt, not timing chain. Apparently this isn't an uncommon issue with the 2ZR-FE's, and i'm happy to do a writeup on re-tensioning this for you fellas if you need.

All of those things (except maybe the fuse thing) would have come to light in a test drive... so if you were not happy, why did you buy the car in the first place?

Because, on paper, the ZRE corolla is the perfect owners car. The price vs quality vs safety vs size vs running costs equation simply cannot be beaten by any other car on the market.

I was sarcastic.... :spiteful:

Of course I love my Corolla! But I know it's limitations, that's all. I know it's not the most powerfull, it's not the fastest, It has not cutting-edge technology, and it's not the best looking car. I bought reliability, low fuel consumption, confort and a low maintenance car, all in a cheap car. So that's why I did it and I'll do it again...

Cheers

AB

And you're quite right. I'm just disappointed, i suppose, that it can't be a driver's car too.

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself, did you buy the car to love it or did you buy it because it is practical? If all the little things annoy you, then you can either live with it or get rid of it and move on.

True, true.

Lets face it... any car you purchase you will have things that you love about it and hate about it.

There is no such thing as perfect unless you just deal with/ignore those small issues.

You must have bought that particular car because the positives outweighed the negatives. Yes? Then make do with what you have :)

Yeah, but the only cars i've owned before that have this many minor flaws have been cheapo buzzboxes, not top three sellers.

it can be a drivers car just dont expect it to be a sports car. with a few simple handling mods and intake if you like it does quit well I think for a family hatchback its no performance/sports car no but you can still have fun with it just look at the few that are tracking theres. well I know the manual is good anyway as thats what I have the auto may be sluggish im not sure.

I had a 06 swift which had a baby 1.5l manual it had coilovers and good tires because it handled so well, was grippy and so light it was a hoot to drive

There is probably one thing I dont like about my corolla and its not toyota's or the corollas fault its all new cars which are the elctronic throttle (drive by wire)

but thats it I love my corolla I really want a wrx always have always will but Im glad I have my ZRE.

it can be a drivers car just dont expect it to be a sports car. with a few simple handling mods and intake if you like it does quit well I think for a family hatchback its no performance/sports car no but you can still have fun with it just look at the few that are tracking theres. well I know the manual is good anyway as thats what I have the auto may be sluggish im not sure.

I had a 06 swift which had a baby 1.5l manual it had coilovers and good tires because it handled so well, was grippy and so light it was a hoot to drive

There is probably one thing I dont like about my corolla and its not toyota's or the corollas fault its all new cars which are the elctronic throttle (drive by wire)

but thats it I love my corolla I really want a wrx always have always will but Im glad I have my ZRE.

agreed.

I love my fridge. Sure, it doesn't make me want to drive it as soon as I wake up in the morning but it gets the job done. You have, however pointed out some things that I have noticed about the car - especially the ancient 4 speed auto and the annoying beeping when opening a door with the key in the ignition. But given the price, practicallity, reliability and fuel consumption I didn't have to think twice.

Do I love my corolla? Yes.