Jak.C

Any suggestions how to improve the performance on my standard 1991ST auto? What can be done to the standard engine to give it a bit more power?

Open to all possibilities, including engine swap

If I do swap the engine whats the best/easiest option

Who supplies good recon engines in Australia?

Also looking for upper roof weatherstrips RH and LH, Toyota want $360 each for them. Does anyone know of a cheaper source?

Also need rear view mirror in VGC.

Any help appreciated

dont bother with the stock engine (5SFE) unless you wish to spend a lot of time and money turbo-ing it. I've done it before, and even doing it the 'cheap' way cost thousands and many, many hours of research. Trent (trentmeyer23) has done a turbo 5SGTE properly and don't even ask how much its cost him.

The easiest/most common swap is a 3SGTE from a ST185 celica but this will still be an expensive exercise, even if you do the work yourself.

As for recon engines, no idea I would just get a motor from a wrecker/importer and have the work done to it.

ST184 celicas are pretty common at wreckers so thats the cheapest place to get parts.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm in Townsville and can't find one in any of the wreckers here, plus the plastic/rubber parts that I'm after tend to be completely deteriorated due to sun/heat damage.

Will look into the engine swap, I've had the car for 8 years and it owes me nothing, its currently being re-sprayed and the interior is all good so I don't mind spending a bit on the engine to improve the performance.

Been advised to go the ST185 air cooled, but will also need to change from auto to manual, a figure of about $5000 total has been mentioned. Does this sound about right?

Apparently there's not much you can do to the standard 184 but I figured this was the best place to find expert opinion where no one is trying to sell me anything.

$5000? If done properly including labour, I think you will get about halfway and run out of money. I would budget $10,000 to be on the safe side.

If you do the work yourself I think it might just scrape in at $5000.

agreed. 2000-3000 alone would be a half cut from a 185, then you need all sorts of other bits and bobs + labor... so 10k is probably safe if you arent doing it yourself.

You are probably better off just buying a GT4